The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Seeking retirement board for my draft cross.

I need to find a full care boarding location to retire my draft cross.

Can anyone give me some listings?

I have contacted Crossed Sabers, and I have looked at a few local boarding barns locally.

My horse needs to stay in a cooler climate.

Full care within 350 miles of 44118

But...it's New Year's Eve...is anyone really interested in a trainwreck tonight?
    "We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals." ~Immanuel Kant

Default hu?

email me at

I have a shire warmblood gelding. 16 years old. I am located in downtown Cleveland for work and I need to board him in a reliable boarding location (full care).

I like the program listed on Crossed Sabers.

Are there other locations?
    Last edited by szwarcak; Dec. 31, 2011 at 08:34 PM.

Just in case you're not trolling, if it were me, I would stay away from Crossed Sabers. Do a search on this Bulletin Board and you will find out why.
    Originally Posted by Alagirl
    We just love to shame poor people...when in reality, we are all just peasants.

Default but is the horse-care any good?

I need a retirement farm. Cleveland is no place to try to juggle horse board and school and work. I need to find a place that will take my money, and remember to feed my horse. Can anyone suggest a retirement farm? He is draft X and does better in cooler locations.

I moved up here this spring from Richmond VA. The barn I have been with for 8months is closing, I have around 60 days and I want to find a location before the snow makes it more difficult to transport him.

I don't ride him anymore. He has issues with his hocks, and is blind on his left - I have had him since he was a colt, so I am one of those suckers...

Anyways. Not trolling, just trying to find a place to retire my horse. When I entered Google + Retirement farm, I got Crossed Sabers in all of my search results. If you can recommend a retirement or full care barn that includes feet picking and daily checks, etc. that would be great.

I don't know if it is close enough to you, but Paradigm Farms in Tennessee is very highly regarded.

@smf11 Thank you just sent a email to them for a quote.

Red Moon Farm in Berryville, VA takes retirees. Yvonne is an experienced horse person who enjoys the old guys.

OP, if I were you, and you're legit...edit your email address out of your post. You're setting yourself up for scammers and trouble.
    "We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals." ~Immanuel Kant

Lawndart on this board does retirees. She's in central PA and I can guarantee you the climate is cooler as I'm originally from PA and worked probably not terribly far from her farm.
    Sue
    Back in my day, we didn't have as many warning labels because people weren't so dang stupid!

I would consider any of these options before considering euthanizing, and only after that, Crossed Sabers:

http://www.pocospastures.com
    http://www.mustangvalley.com/
    http://www.gentrycreek.com/Our_Cleveland_Facility.html
    http://windhorsefarm.net/aboutus.htm

All those I found just by googling "Horse Retirement Cleveland," if you do the same I'm sure you'll turn up many more options.

I would also check out the local craigslist. I have just a small, private barn with a few stalls for retirees....on the rare occasion that I don't have a waiting list, the only ads I place are on craigslist. I've also had good luck with posting "Wanted" ads on there as well, so that might be another way to go about finding a place for your boy. "Wanted: Quiet backyard location for one well-behaved, retired gelding."

As a side note: Although I'm not sure why he needs his feet picked daily (I certainly don't, and no one has lost a foot yet), even if that's not stated on a list of services, most barn owners are usually more than happy to do little things like that for an extra monthly fee.
    Well isn't this dandy?

Last edited by Grataan; Dec. 31, 2011 at 11:46 PM.
    Michael: Seems the people who burned me want me for a job.
    Sam: A job? Does it pay?
    Michael: Nah, it's more of a "we'll kill you if you don't do it" type of thing.
    Sam: Oh. I've never liked those.

go to drafthorsevillage.com There are a lot of draft horse owners on there, and some that do retirement care...

Default Thank you for your help.

Thank you for the links, I did call some of them. Some aren't full retirement, but I know I could talk to them about additional daily care at a fee. So I will keep looking for the ones that are a little more involved.

I have tried to find a location up here in Ohio, and I am not having as much luck as I would like. I am disappointed. Coming from VA to OH, I thought OH would be full of hay fields and boarding barns..... what a shock.

I am currently at a small 4 stall barn, full care, $400, but they will be shutting down at the end of the month. I hate barn hopping Because my horse is only a pasture ornament I feel it is time to start looking at locations that cater to the retired horse. (I don't need indoor arenas, and miles of trails)

I did see a listing for the crossed sabers facility on a current real estate web page. The property is listed as vacant and actively for sale. I'm not slinging any mud, but I'm glad this all surfaced before I shipped the horse there. I just assumed they had been in service for so long, and the retirement board listed as one of their services was still active. Weird, just weird...

I received a lot of PM's about boarding... let me get back to all of those. Thank you for sending me messages.

If I run into another hiccup, I'd like to post again... I don't want to troll, but finding board for my gelding is a real pain. He is big, he has warmblood diva additude, he burns hay even in the summer, and i seem to be the last person on earth that wants him around. (did I mention I hate barn hopping)

Quote Originally Posted by GoForAGallop View Post
    I would consider any of these options before considering euthanizing, and only after that, Crossed Sabers.