The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Dreaming... what pet for me?

I need something to cuddle. Seriously. At the moment there don't seem to be any human prospects, and besides, pets are lower maintenance than boyfriends.

Problems:
    1) I live in a teeny apartment. I'm not sure if it has a no pets policy, so pet would have to be small enough to be hidden easily or transportable on days when landlord is around.
    2) I am living here alone, no family, and may travel. Relatively often to visit family elsewhere in Canada, hopefully in the not too distant future back to South Africa to see my family. So pet has to be either easily transportable, or easy to look after so that a caretaker could be found.
    3) I'm doing my PhD so super busy... so can't be too high maintenance an animal.

Am I dreaming? I just need something to love! I so dreadfully miss his highness my siamese at home, and of course my horses.

Check with your landlord & if he gives the OK, register with local rescues to foster kitties - if you get 2 at a time, they will keep each other entertained when you're not there
    You could also foster moms with babies too young to be adopted (they will often be euth'd by shelters if there is no foster home available) but these are alot more work & time.

Depending where you live, there may be a small animal rescue & you could foster ratties & hammies etc if your landlord says no to free-roaming pets.

Ferrets are awesome, can sleep 14 hours a day, be caged for most of that, and yet can still be very loving. The smell is controllable with a 5 minute bath once every other week. They are smart like dogs and cats. You must clip the nails, and get annual shots, tho.

Except life expectancy of captive ferrets is so much lower than wild ferrets

Chinchilla or hedge hog?
    "We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals." ~Immanuel Kant

I knew this was a good place to turn for enabling.

I've always been interested in ferrets - what do they eat? And are they cuddly? I just have to read up on the smell, I don't do smelly pets well.
    I haven't heard great things about chinchilla's temperament-wise, although they are freaking adorable. Hedgehogs are really cute too... hmm, food for thought.
    Other thing I was thinking about were rats. Pretty easy-going, and friendly.

First, please, please, please make sure that your pet of choice is okay with the landlord. "Landlord finding out" is a big reason animals are given up at shelters (especailly kitties!)

I have a friend who has had pet rats for a number of years. She is involved in all the different varieties, etc. She says that rats are much tamer by nature and more fun than hamsters or gerbils. Sadly, they dont live very long compared to dogs, cats, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by MsM View Post
    I have a friend who has had pet rats for a number of years. She is involved in all the different varieties, etc. She says that rats are much tamer by nature and more fun than hamsters or gerbils. Sadly, they dont live very long compared to dogs, cats, etc.
    Rats are totally awesome, and mice can also be super neat pets, but they really don't live long--only a couple year. My favorite pet mouse lived to 37 months, which is absolutely ANCIENT. I was heartbroken when she finally died

I would NOT recommend a cat or cats. Landlord issues, space issues, and potential for urinary issues. It's also expensive to feed them correctly.

I'd think a ferret or chinchilla, maybe even a pair of guinea pigs or a house rabbit would work?

The OP wants something she can cuddle with, I would get a cat, an adult cat. Casually mention it to the landlord what the pet policies are and go to the local pound to adopt an adult cat.

Someone mentioned fostering cats. This is an awesome idea, you get to love and cuddle with one or two and if you need to travel you can arrange not to be fostering during that time frame. its the best of both worlds, like a free lease!

For cuddling NOTHING beats a bunny.

http://s2.hubimg.com/u/107961_f260.jpg

Super-easy to litter train, can leave alone for a couple of days with plenty of food and water, quiet, and SO soft and cute!

Edit: The House Rabbit Society is an excellent place to start. If an adoptable bun isn't available nearby (highly unlikely), contact your local 4H or FFA if you have one. http://www.rabbit.org/
    I realize that I'm generalizing here, but as is often the case when I generalize, I don't care. ~ Dave Barry

Another vote for foster! Homes like you are EXACTLY who our rescue gears towards finding...there are SO many old senile dogs, or cats with kittens that need nothing but a quiet room or bathroom and some occasional love that would be a perfect fit for you. Not only would you be seriously enhancing that animal's quality of life, but if you did need to go on vacation or move/visit family etc most rescues are happy to take that animal back in for short or long periods of time with some notice.

Just do a google search on ferrets. they make all sorts of cool stuff for them now, that were not around when we had ours. they don't smell as bad as people would have you believe, especially if you are willing to give a quick bath every 2 weeks. They snuggle and they are very smart. IMO, Cats get sedate as they age. Ferrets always think they are young and love to play all the time. Good Luck deciding. ( also if they have an accident, it won't stink forever, like cat pee)

Thank you COTH!
    I've been looking up ferrets - and they sound pretty awesome. Would be sleeping mostly during the day while I'm away, but cuddly and playful. Also there are a couple of airlines apparently which allow you to take ferrets on board. Also - it might sound callous - but I'm not looking for something that's going to live 20 years. My life is only mostly certain for the period of study, so about the next 5 years.

The foster idea sounds great - but I know I couldn't take a dog in. I can't emphasize how small this apartment is. Also not sure about a cat - and I know a caged animal will be easier to justify to landlords. Although I notice there's nothing in my lease saying I can't have pets.

Guin - interesting! I've never met a bunny that was cuddly. Mostly just ones that wanted to kick the living daylight out of you if you picked them up. But that could be more testament to how badly they were socialized.

Keep the suggestions coming! Right now I'm doing a lot of researching and thinking about general feasibility.

it might sound callous - but I'm not looking for something that's going to live 20 years. My life is only mostly certain for the period of study, so about the next 5 years.
    Just thought I'd add this isn't callous, this is SMART. I wish most people had this thought in their head before they bothered ruining the life of a puppy (or any animal for that matter.) I've always adopted middle-aged adults for that reason...I can't confirm with confidence I'll have 20 years for them, but I can give them an EXCELLENT 5-10.

Outside Ocala FL - Horse Capital of the World

Oh my, just for curiosity sake I looked on PetFinder under cuddly and furry, and there are a ton of small animals for adoption out there.
    There are friends and faces that may be forgotten, but there are horses that never will be. - Andy Adams

I am a huge fan of ferrets (the pet ferret IS a domesticated animal, they are not a "tame" wild animal.)

In fact, shortly I will be adding ferrets back into my life. I miss them too much. They are very clever, cuddly, and personable.

However, rats are EXCELLENT pets as well. When I was a wee kid, I had rats. Especially one rat. I could let her out of her cage and she would climb onto my bed and sit with me and clean her face, then attempt to clean me. Their little tongues feel so neat. They will also talk to you in soft little sounds.

They are small, inexpensive. Their enclosures are inexpensive as well for the most part and also a reasonable size. And now they make lots of neat toys and things for rats, just like they do ferrets.

I second the adult cat recommendation. They are easy low maintenance animals. Getting an adult ensures it has the traits you want - cuddly, small, well house-trained, quiet, etc. They tend to travel well, and are usually just fine with being left home alone for 3-4 days at a time.

Just a note, many rescues will require proof that your landlord allows pets before they'll let you adopt/foster, so I would get that sorted out first!
    "Things turn out best for the people who make the best of the way things turn out." ~John Wooden

Phoenix Animal Rescue

Quote Originally Posted by MunchingonHay View Post
    The OP wants something she can cuddle with, I would get a cat, an adult cat. Casually mention it to the landlord what the pet policies are and go to the local pound to adopt an adult cat.

Someone mentioned fostering cats. This is an awesome idea, you get to love and cuddle with one or two and if you need to travel you can arrange not to be fostering during that time frame. its the best of both worlds, like a free lease!
    This! Fosters who can take moms with kittens are extremely rare so the whole family usually gets put down. Just mention that you may have to travel and if they can recommend a good pet sitter. (for yours or theirs!) Sometimes they will have someone who can come sit fosters for free.

And older cats (read 6 mos and up!) don't do very well at kill shelters. Either get a pair already bonded or one that doesn't mind being alone. A normal size cat (10 lbs or less) will fit under airplane seats in a soft carrier, even the puddle jumpers!
    Every mighty oak was once a nut that stood its ground.

Proud Closet Canterer! Member Riders with Fibromyalgia clique.