The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Lessons near Orlando

This is crosspost from off course -- but I've gotten no answers there...

My mom stopped riding 22 years ago and now wants to start taking riding lessons again. (yay!) I need to help her find a welcoming, relaxed barn that will help her get back in the saddle. She is overweight and needs to find a place that is willing to work with her as she works towards her goals and regains her confidence. No competing or fancy facility necessary -- but good general horsemanship and a welcoming atmosphere is a must. Private facilities are OK. Her goal is to trail ride and fox hunt.

If you have any ideas or leads please feel free to PM me or post here.

TIA!

pm sent

Does your mom have access to a horse? Or would she be looking for a barn w/ school horses?

We are between Sanford and Eustis and have a large lesson horse that is fantastic on the longe. Longe lessons on a solid horse are a great way for her to regain her confidence and feel quickly. He is a retired 3rd level dressage horse and capable of jumping anything we would put in front of him as well so there are lots of things she can do with him as she advances. We start all of our riders on the longe as it really accelerates their learning and also preserves our horses so they can maintain their training for when the rider is ready. Our farm is private with no boarders and she would have the ring to herself during lessons. Please contact me if interested.

2tempe, No, she doesn't have a horse so she'd need a place with school horses. Do you have any ideas?

Nancy I'll send my mom your info... as long as it's correct on your website. You should be fairly close to her... she's in Apopka. The lunge lessons and private facility sound great.

Thank you everyone for your help so far...

In Apopka www.ashmoreequestriancenter.com

Great school program in addition to competition program, really nice school horses. Private facility, lunge lessons, trail riding as part of lessons, etc.
    OTTBs rule, but spots are good too!

One of my good friends trains with Hilda, and recommends her highly. I need to schedule a lesson with her for my daughter now that you remind me - we do dressage lessons with someone over in our area but we wanted someone to work with her on eventing.

Rennyben - Sorry to say I don't know of any lesson barns; I had a thought re a trainer who comes to our barn and is very good on foundation work.
    That said, though I don't know the poster offering the lunge lessions, I would offer the opinion that it would be a really good way to get back in the swing of riding, build strength and secure position. It is an excellent opportunity that would be worth checking out!