Bringing a horse home for trial- a few questions...
I am bringing a lovely little hanoverian mare home for trial. We will pick her up tomorrow or tuesday... I have already called and set up an insurance binder (for mortality and major medical) to cover 10 days... So my question is...
Do any of you have a contract you use? Do you sign a purchase agreement with a trial agreement in it? She has requested a check for the full amount which isn't an issue but I just wanted to know what is normally included in a contract? We did not take my last horse on trial (that turned out badly) so I am new to this and want to know what is normal etc.
I think it is fair that you leave a cheque to cover the full purchase price with the agreement that it can not be cashed until a certain date (post date it). Otherwise what assurance does the seller have esp with their horse gone off property. They have nothing....no horse and no money while you have the horse and money. So glad to hear you have arranged an insurance binder. Just for the record I think off site trials are relatively rare.
Off site trials are NOT rare between trainers who run in the same circles and know and trust each other. Horses worth tens of thousands of dollars are shipped around on trial every day on nothing more than a handshake or a text message.
The horse is coming to you, so just ask the owners what they want you to do and do it.
Best of luck with the horse and I hope it works out!!
Well the owner has no idea who my trainer is. I gave her the check in good faith and she seems very confident that the mare will pass her PPE. I also did the binder with the company she requested for mortality and major medical.
The mare will be in a bubble I don't want anything to happen to her. I don't find offsite trials to be too rare especially with horses under the $20,000 price bracket.
I am crossing my fingers that she continues to work out! Thank you all for your input. We did end up with a agreement that suited the situation and I don't feel as weird about giving her a full price check now.
Thanks! (a pic of the mare for good measure... she seems to be settling nicely. just curious)
Thanks! Our agreement is pretty similar. This was the fastest horse trial deal ive ever set up. I wasn't even really shipping for a new horse yet as mine hasn't sold but I came across an ad for her and had to call about her, that was thursday. After seeing her and riding her on friday I had to take her on trial and it worked out that we went and got her the next day (yesterday)! I am very excited about her. Provided she is sound as stays as same as she was when I tried her she is worth way more than her asking price. I am very excited for the opportunity to hve such a nice mare!
Another pic- from this morning when I turned her out for a bit.
Me too! First ride home will either be tonight or tomorrow.
Originally Posted by ballisticgirl
Just curious...did you find her online?
I did find her on line. I had been watching the ad for a few months and finally called and fell in Love with her. We will see how it works. Ppe set up for Tuesday or weds If she rides well Monday and Tuesday. Why do you ask? Do you know the mare?
Last edited by hequestrian; Oct. 30, 2011 at 09:34 PM.
She's really cute! Good luck and let us know how it ends up
Thanks! Lunged her today in the indoor and outdoor to let her look around... Apparently her owner has only ridden her in their barns indoor for like the past couple of years, and she hadn't been of the farm in almost 3 yrs.... (their two outdoors are reserved for paying lesson customers?) So the mare was kind of looky in the outdoor but she listens to voice commands on the line so she never got too wound up... Just a little ADD. Tomorrow morning I will ride her! Can't wait. Trotting out in the pasture Taking in the scenery
I will update with how the ride goes! I hope she settles and is the ride I had Friday...
No, don't know her..just wondered how you found such a looker! Your photos are glorious, such warm amber hues and nice turnout for sure! Hoping the vetting goes well for you. : )
Her owner sold her made 2'6 hunter and invested in Stella as a 3yo (for 18k)... Then she showed her at the end of that year I guess right at her 4yo mark but then owner got married, became busier at work and she just sat... Then her owner left her job to find one with a better schedule so she could ride more but she ended up getting pregnant. So there went 9months of time and now she has a little one and a job and is back at square one. She just doesn't have the time for her and I guess the market up in OH is not that great horse wise maybe? When I saw the add the first time she was at 14 I think, then it dropped to 12, then to 10, and last week I saw that it had dropped to 8500 and I had to jump on it. I called her owner, rode her friday, and now I am trying her! (even though I really shouldn't buy until I sell mine... But my parents agreed to front me the money if she turns out being as nice as we think as I would not otherwise have the money for a horse this nice I don't think. She is on the greener side but is quiet, has great changes, and is a great mover.
I am not sure how I lucked out... but she is pretty much my dream horse physically so I hope she stays as sweet and quiet as she was when I tried her for the first time on Friday night. We wanted to let her settle and just lunged today because everyone was running around like crazy for Octoberfest at the horse park.
Tomorrow will be the test.
Originally Posted by ParadoxFarm
She's absolutely adorable. Good luck with your trial. Keep us posted.
The mare is lovely! Greener over fences than we anticipated but very willing. I have pictures to share but please do NOT critique the rider as it is not me. We only jumped about 5 jumps just so Ms. Trainer could feel how she went and if she passes the PPE she is all mine tomorrow!