The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Arrow Weight to Volume for pelleted feeds?

Is there a general idea of how much pelleted feeds weigh per a certain measure of volume? ie, how much volume is a pound of a pelleted feed?

I've got another thread asking about Enrich 32, and you're supposed to feed about a pound of it at a time.. and I have no clue how much that is. A cup? 10 cups? A pint? A quart? Approximately 3.245 handfuls?!

I know Smartpak carries a scoop for pelleted feeds and a scoop for textured feeds, so I'm assuming there's not TOO much variance between most pelleted feeds.
    Tell a Gelding. Ask a Stallion. Discuss it with a Mare... Pray if it's a Pony!

I bought a small, 8 lb, scale at a yard sale this summer so i could know how much I am feeding, found that a plastic liquid measuring cup used as a scoop, (i fill the container to a level top, I do not use the measures on the side) of Wellsolve L/S is approximately 1/2 lb per. So that equates probably 1 1/4 cups of pelleted feed. But i noticed when I started feeding this feed that is seems lighter in weight than what I was feeding prior, which was Equine Sr. so it may all depend on the feed.
    "They spend 11 months stuggling to live, and 25 years trying to die" my farrier

"They are dangerous on both ends and crafty in the middle"

It could vary some by brand and type. TC Lite is 3 cups = 1 lb

chicamuxen

Walmart can help; http://www.walmart.com/ip/Mainstays-...Scale/14964965

Weight to volume will vary with the density of the feed.
    ... _. ._ .._. .._

Quote Originally Posted by SPF10 View Post
    I bought a small, 8 lb, scale at a yard sale this summer so i could know how much I am feeding, found that a plastic liquid measuring cup used as a scoop, (i fill the container to a level top, I do not use the measures on the side) of Wellsolve L/S is approximately 1/2 lb per. So that equates probably 1 1/4 cups of pelleted feed. But i noticed when I started feeding this feed that is seems lighter in weight than what I was feeding prior, which was Equine Sr. so it may all depend on the feed.
    I agree with this. I use an RB (Essential K, not Enrich 32), but 1 lb is pretty much 2 1/2 cups.
    Caitlin
    *OMGiH I Loff my Mare* and *My Saddlebred Can Do Anything Your Horse Can Do*
    http://community.webshots.com/user/redmare01

It's going to vary with the moisture content of the feed and the shape of the pellets. You'll need to weigh it.

A scale is a great thing to have. I have a kitchen scale that will accurately weigh 5 grams to 11 pounds, and it cost around $20-$25. I use it all the time for baking and cooking.
    If you are allergic to a thing, it is best not to put that thing in your mouth, particularly if the thing is cats. - Lemony Snicket

There is variation among the different feeds!

I generally put some in a plastic bag and take it to the post office to weigh!

When I used to feed Strategy, I remember that 1 quart = 1.25 lb while some of the extruded feeds were more like 1 Quart = 14 oz.
    Equine Ink - My soapbox for equestrian writings & reviews.
    EquestrianHow2 - Operating instructions for your horse.

Default type of scale that hangs

I have the type of scale that has a hook on the bottom and you hang it up. Hanging from a rafter in my tack/feed room with space around it (not against the wall). Weigh the bucket empty. Fill the bucket with grain. Weigh, subtract bucket weight. Then you can mark inside your measuring bucket with tape.

Just get a little hanging scale and hang it up in your feed room. Mine cost about eight bucks. I hung the empty bucket on the hook and then slid the scale marker to zero to tare out the weight of the bucket. You only have to do this once if you use the same bucket all the time. Then pour feed into bucket.

look here and go to advice and then click feeding giude identifieds sizes of scoops and what they hold also other advice relevent

http://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&rct...dboA9Q&cad=rja