The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 130 of 322 FirstFirst ... 3080120128129130131132140180230 ... LastLast
Results 2,581 to 2,600 of 6422

Got a flyer from Big Dee's Tack and they have some helmets on sale . . . wondering if I should replace mine? When I "dismounted" yesterday, I landed pretty much on my back - but, the back of my helmet did hit the sand pretty hard. No damage that I can see, but . . .
    "I am still under the impression that there is nothing alive quite so beautiful as a thoroughbred horse." -- John Galsworthy

Tiger Horse, if you think you MAY have hit the helmet, go ahead and replace it! Better safe than sorry.
    “Be yourself; everyone else is already taken.”
    ¯ Oscar Wilde

Hearing you all talk of vests, I'm thinking I may need to wear mine when I get back in the saddle again here soon. Just in case. But I'm lucky my boy is pretty much an angel. But he's had about 3 months off.
    ¯ Oscar Wilde

Quote Originally Posted by ParadoxFarm View Post
    Tiger Horse, if you think you MAY have hit the helmet, go ahead and replace it! Better safe than sorry.
    There was no MAY about it - my helmet definitely hit the ground! Helmet shopping I go . . .
    "I am still under the impression that there is nothing alive quite so beautiful as a thoroughbred horse." -- John Galsworthy

double post

Oh, for SURE go shopping then, Tiger Horse. Let us know what you end up with.
    ¯ Oscar Wilde

Will do! I think the one I will be replacing is an Ovation (or something similiar) - it's just a light weight vented training helmet. I have a Charles Owen to show in -guess I'll be using that the rest of the week! Might as well drag out the vest too! I'm currently riding in a Collegiate Connoisseur - suddenly a Stubben Roxane S is sounding very appealing!

Don't play around with helmets, Tiger Horse! Get a new helmet (there are many super cheap schooling options now) and save your head. It's worth it!

Finzean, how's the new Amazon doing?

Bumknees, that sucks SO MUCH about the credit ding! How does that even happen? Bummer doesn't even describe it. I wish I had helpful advice to offer. *hug* I'm sorry it came up and caused such a ruckus in your life. I hope you find a way to get it resolved quickly.

Y'all are making me think I need a vest now! Anyone have any recommendations for something really lightweight (think South FL in 80 degree+ weather!)?

HazelG, thank you. Things HAVE been really rough, and I'm just enjoying every moment that's good at this point. My aunt is doing great too -- about to move into a rehab (non-medical) facility, and she's eating/drinking/breathing totally on her own for about 2 weeks now! Mentally she's still my aunt and all there

My horse's name is Bugatti, if I didn't mention it before. I've been calling him Boo, and Bug, and Boog. I need better nicknames, lol.
    I took my boy outside for a walk under saddle today! We're taking it easy until next week so we give him as much time to heal as possible. I introduced him to the grounds today under saddle, and MAN he was good. Stood quietly for tacking, walked around nice and calmly, and most importantly, *waited* for me when he got excited -- he never broke into a trot! I was SO impressed that he's only 5! (not even). He did get spooked by the scary butterfly standards by taking a few side steps in the jumper ring, though, but we'll save that battle for another day.

I bought a bridle for him today too! I put some hydrophane on it and let it sit out in the sun like they suggested from the tack store, and it darkened at LOT. But, it'll still be what I hoped for, I think. He's so durn handsome!

A few pictures:
    Falling asleep with tack on. He is just THAT quiet.
    Modeling the old bridle (with mismatched browband)
    New bridle! Pre-darkening
    Both of us (taken in the big dressage mirror). Note his super awkward downhill conformation resulting from his growth spurt...*sigh*

Sorry for the pic spamming! I'm a proud new mama back to work for a few days and he'll be back to full work next week, so I'll post some video as soon as possible! Stay safe everyone!

1 members found this post helpful.

Had a really good ride today with my trainer. She picked up a new guy that needs some work and I'm woefully out of riding shape, so we mostly just walked around the ring (I did do some trotting) and just chatted and kicked back for the most part. Kind of like a trail ride inside the ring.

Which I know sounds really lame, but you have to understand I haven't rode in the ring with anyone else in nearly 16 months. I ride on Monday and (sometimes) Thursday mornings and nobody's ever out there besides me. Ever.

So, we're doing the same thing next week, but we're doing it out on the x-country course to throw in some hill work for both horses. It'll still be just walk-trot (with more trot next time) but it'll be so cool to ride with someone. Even Oliver was perkier than usual. (Probably picking up my happy vibes.) Hopefully, we can do this for several weeks. Besides, if I'm going to do hunter eq classes this year, I need to brush up on riding with other people in the ring.

There's something to be said for riding with other people. I know everyone loves their private lessons, but imagine riding all alone for 16 months -- no shows, no trail rides with others ... It gets pretty boring.
    The dude abides ...

Pancakes you are cracking me up with the mirror photo!!! LMAO!! We don't have mirrors but where my daughter rides (and I will take the Amazon) there are mirrors...sadly a couple of them reflect fun house images!! I'm going to "pull a Pancakes" and get a couple of photos. And my technologically arrested development self needs to get a photobucket or other online photo thingy so I can post shots of the Amazon. I love the new bridle, btw!

About the Amazon....it's a swamp here - truly. Today was 62 but rained all day. Now the temp has dropped and the high for the next couple of days is something around 40 and rain. Gross. In the barn, however, the Big Girl has impressed & entertained us with her Houdini abilities with double ended snaps...she just unsnaps them in less than a minute and flings them into the barn aisle! It's a hoot. She's settled and my 12 yo daughter has been handled the daily beauty regimen with her. I really hope to get on her as soon as the weather breaks...we don't have an indoor at home.

Investigating the vests...while I don't think I'll wear one all the time, I can't afford to push the envelope. The Amazon is like a working dog, I'm discovering...she's not going to be content to loiter about, she's going to be best if challenged. Time to buckle up and challenge myself...

Quote Originally Posted by Opus1 View Post
    There's something to be said for riding with other people. I know everyone loves their private lessons, but imagine riding all alone for 16 months -- no shows, no trail rides with others ... It gets pretty boring.
    Actually, I really DON'T love my private lessons. But the trainers won't do them any other way! I much prefer semi-private or even a small group.
    You have to have experiences to gain experience.

Proudly owned by Mythic Feronia, 1998 Morgan mare; G-dspeed Trump & Minnie; welcome 2014 Morgan filly MtnTop FlyWithMeJosephine

1 members found this post helpful.

A re-rider whine:

I really, really wish I hadn't gotten rid of all my stuff when I "quit" about 6 years ago.

Everything has gotten exponentially more expensive and the quality has gone down. I had a beautiful PJ saddle, bought for less than $2000. Now I am looking at $5000 to get a top quality saddle, and the PJs aren't even made the same anymore.

I really am kicking myself. Clothes and stuff, I should have gotten rid of, but I should have kept the expensive tack because now I can't even get the same quality, even if I'm willing to pay. Which I'm not, because my horse was free, and I don't want to wait 3 months for a saddle that may or may not even fit.

So I'm scouring the used market but there are basically no saddles coming through right now with short flaps and I'm a midget. Well not really a midget but hilariously short. I'm very frustrated, either go custom and break the bank or have to wait out the used market to get something decent. Sigh.

Alterageous, I got my like-new PJ for <$2000 used on eBay! I found a local seller by chance (to save on shipping) but it worked out well. There are many good options for used saddles online, but for a nice used PJ, yeah, you will be probably waiting a little or paying more than you did before. I hear you though...all I can say is maybe scour the resources, ebay, websites, local tack shops, etc.? I looked for about a month before I found mine, so it may not be forever for you. Good luck.

Alterageous I feel your pain. When I quit about 5-6 years ago, I sold a bunch of stuff but kept anything that I knew I wouldn't be able to afford to replace. Some of it I may never use again (my really top quality hunting bridle)...but I know if I take care of it it'll last until I'm ready to part with it. I'm looking at saddles now, too, and just bought my daughter a new saddle this fall. Makes me appreciate the days of childhood when all we needed was some cobbled together bridle type thing and a semi-rideable horse to be in heaven.

Quote Originally Posted by Opus1 View Post
    Had a really good ride today with my trainer. She picked up a new guy that needs some work and I'm woefully out of riding shape, so we mostly just walked around the ring (I did do some trotting) and just chatted and kicked back for the most part. Kind of like a trail ride inside the ring.

Which I know sounds really lame, but you have to understand I haven't rode in the ring with anyone else in nearly 16 months. I ride on Monday and (sometimes) Thursday mornings and nobody's ever out there besides me. Ever.

So, we're doing the same thing next week, but we're doing it out on the x-country course to throw in some hill work for both horses. It'll still be just walk-trot (with more trot next time) but it'll be so cool to ride with someone. Even Oliver was perkier than usual. (Probably picking up my happy vibes.) Hopefully, we can do this for several weeks. Besides, if I'm going to do hunter eq classes this year, I need to brush up on riding with other people in the ring.

I really enjoy riding alone - did so on the trail for the majority of my riding years (25+). I could chat with people, it I wanted, while I was tacking up, etc. but always rode alone - riding is not a social activity for me, I much prefer the company of my horse (that sounds awful doesn't it?!). My current horse doesn't enjoy the trail, so we do more ring work and I relish the days we happen to get the arena to ourselves. And being a fairly busy lesson barn, if I happen to get the barn to myself - well, that's a real treat!

Nothing wrong with a walk/trot ride! I do lots of walking with my guy, esp in the winter. We work a bit, he gets all keyed, we walk until he relaxes again. We accomplish a lot more that way, even though it takes longer.

Quote Originally Posted by Pancakes View Post
    Alterageous, I got my like-new PJ for <$2000 used on eBay! I found a local seller by chance (to save on shipping) but it worked out well. There are many good options for used saddles online, but for a nice used PJ, yeah, you will be probably waiting a little or paying more than you did before. I hear you though...all I can say is maybe scour the resources, ebay, websites, local tack shops, etc.? I looked for about a month before I found mine, so it may not be forever for you. Good luck.
    That is one great buy!!

There are deals to be had if you are persistent (or lucky) - I picked up an older Hermes Steinkraus for $100.

Pancakes, he is so stinking cute. And sounds like a lovely personality, which is even more important! Can't wait to hear your progress.

Opus, sounds like a good ride. Sometimes just a nice walk is perfect!

Alterageous, I hear ya. I never throw good tack out. My husband wonders why I need ten bridles for two horses, but hey, you never know when you might need a different one! Same with blankets.
    ¯ Oscar Wilde

Alterageous, how tall are you, and what width is your horse. I have a Smith-Worthington Beaufort Lux saddle that I tried to sell to a pony kid before Christmas but with no luck. My email is moonshotacres at yahoo dot com if you'd like more info.

It was a sad day here today. We had to put our old pony, Charlie down. The vet had been out to see him a couple of times over the past two months, and last week had said there wasn't much he could do for him. The vet came out today for a recheck, and we knew it was time. He was a great old pony, and will be missed by many people. He spent many years as a lesson pony at Hunter's Court, after retiring from the A shows. Anyone who did IHSA, MTHJA and Brownland shows ten or so years ago would probably remember him. I had always told HC that when he retired, I'd give him a good home, so I got him about four years ago. RIP, Charlie.
    It's 2014. Do you know where your old horse is?

Aww....sorry to hear about Charlie. sounds like he had a good retirement.
    ¯ Oscar Wilde

Pony4me so sorry