The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default What breed of Pony:)

Hi all,
    I have my son's (well mine now) Shetland pony that I am working with and we are doing ground work and long lining at this time. I am really excited to get going with him. I am also looking at buying another pony that I could possibly drive in the future. I would love to know what pony breeds seem to work the best for driving. I know everybody has their favorite but are there some breeds that seem to embrace it more.. Thank you, MM

Welsh ponies. Best.driving.ponies.ever.

Default Haflingers!

My vote is for the Haflinger. Not only are they awesome driving ponies, but they are very versatile for a number of riding disciplines as well. And they are FUN to be around, easy keepers, with a great attitude. And pretty to look at!

I helped break a former driving pair of Haflingers and I was amazed at how fast they learned and at how level-headed and how eager to please they were. I have a friend that has a Haflinger gelding she does hunters with as well and he is the same way. I just adore the breed and I hope to have one someday.
    *Wendy* 4.17.73 - 12.20.05

Welsh Ponies

Haffies and Welsh are the first two that pop into my head, and the real obvious difference is that if you are a remotely normal sized adult, the Haffie likely provide you w/ more opportunities riding-wise than a smaller finer Welsh. I drove for a number of years, with a QH mare; we did driving stuff about 6 months a year and trail rode the rest of the time. We also had great fun in the "Ride and Drive" class at Walnut Hill.

The other thing is that the chunkier Haffie will be more appropriate for certain vehicles, while the finer, fancier Welsh for others. So it comes down to personal preference...

Another driving option, though not technically a pony would be a small Morgan, just to add more confusion to the pot

Oh morgans and arabians both are lovely driving too..

but sticking to ponies, I think both the Welsh Bs, and C and Ds would be nice. The C and D would be heavier though, and could be ridden by an adult as well.

i do like Haflingers too though.. but they seem more "drafty" to me, more a pulling horse as opposed to a carriage horse... so I guess it depends on which you prefer

Another vote for Welsh. I have a section B, and at 13.2 he's big enough for me to ride as well.

Default Fjords!

I love my Fjords. They drive, they ride, they do draft work -- you ask it, they do it. And with the sunniest of personalities.
    Where Norwegian Fjords Rule
    http://www.ironwood-farm.com

Thanks for all the feedback...I am going to look at a Welsh today but he is a section A which might be a little smaller then I want. I just started looking and it has been a learning experience Thanks again...

Breed doesn't matter - the brain does. Find a pony you like with a good mind and go from there. You will find ponies of almost any breed competing succesfully, including crossbreds and grades.

Christa

Who currently drives a pair of POA crosses, but I have also driven shetland/welsh crosses (a guess, probably heinz 57), trottingbreds (essentially pony sized Standardbreds), and a mare bred as a pulling pony, the dam of one of my pair.

Polish Driving Ponies!
    Pat Belskie - ASHEMONT Farm

http://www.ashemont.com
    Ashemont2@gmail.com

Quote Originally Posted by Marney View Post
    Thanks for all the feedback...I am going to look at a Welsh today but he is a section A which might be a little smaller then I want. I just started looking and it has been a learning experience Thanks again...
    Don't discount the Section A. They may be small, but they have a lot of Arabian blood to give them wonderful endurance and have been bred for generations to produce outstanding minds and gentle manners for the child rider/whip. Plus one "A" generally is followed by another "A" to produce a matching set!

I drive Section B's - since I'm petite, I can ride mine as well. (They are 13.1h)

Fjords, Halflingers Morgans and Arabs are all horses. They aren't ponies. And there is no such thing as a Polish Driving Pony. Where did that come from??
    Last edited by 5chestnuts; Oct. 18, 2011 at 07:56 PM. Reason: Just found out the Polish Driving Pony is an old joke on this forum.

I have to go with welsh ponies. After I out grew our shetlands, my heart belonged to welsh ponies. Great little guys!

I saw a shetland/Arabian cross once. I bet that would be an interesting driving pony. (if you have the energy and patience and sense of humour for them lol)

There most certainly is such a thing as a Polish Driving Pony! I drive a pair of them and if you Google you will find out more than you most likely care to know about them They're descendants of the Polish Konik.
    Pat Belskie - ASHEMONT Farm

http://www.ashemont.com
    Ashemont2@gmail.com

Quote Originally Posted by smokygirl View Post
    I saw a shetland/Arabian cross once. I bet that would be an interesting driving pony. (if you have the energy and patience and sense of humour for them lol)
    I have two Arabian/Shetland crosses. The half Arabian half Shetland is a 12.2 pinto. She expresses her Shetland side more. She is very steady and has a high stepping gait that is excellent for driving. Her steadiness is perfect for driving. The 13.1 three quarter Arabian 1/4 Shetland is very much a small Arabian. I think he'll do fine but he's not the rock-steady pony the little mare is.

The feedback is great I did go look at the little Welsh last night and he was quite a bit smaller then I wanted. I really would like a pony that was around 13.1. The crosses mentioned all seem very interesting I will have to open my mind a bit. It is really fun pony shopping much more fun then I expected Well the search goes on....

I have a D welsh cob and a B welsh pony. I LOVE LOVE LOVE the cobs. BUT, they can be a hot pony, and the welsh in general can be a bit hot... Not all by any means, but if you are looking for slightly duller, plod along beginner types, you might find an easier selection in the fjords, hafflinger types... However, in WA, you should have a really great selection of welsh nearby to pick from!

When i was in pony hunters, i had a heck of a time finding welsh ponies quiet enough for kids. Crazy right? But true. I ended up going for POAs, ones with a lot of horse blood in them, and stuck with breeding stocks to avoid the spots... Not that i dont think spots are cute, but for the hunter world, looks are everything. I found some FANCY POAs with super brains. One of my favorites that came through my barn is taking the pony jumpers by storm in OK this year, my second favorite is doing the rated hunters on the east coast, you would be hard pressed to tell he's a POA.

But personal preference for me is the welsh all the way. I love the movement, i love the pony attitude and spunk, but i love their work ethic more and cute looks.

A friend of mine drives a dales cross and loves her, another a fell pony and loves it... Those are a bit harder to find. However, like the others have said, dont discount the grade pony. Some of those heinz 57s are the BEST!

I also greatly loved driving my mini. He had more work ethic than both my welsh put together... Just too small. I secretly covet a sec A welsh pair of grays... Maybe one day!

My ideal is a 14.0 Welsh/TB cross At some point in time I will find him/her. . . but I do love my Section B guy. And he is a little on the hot side, but it's hard to tell if that's the way he is or he was made that way by his previous owner.

BFZ my neighbor drives a pair of Section A greys and has lots and lots to choose from when she puts her pairs together. . .