The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Birmingham area, AL... i.e. crispy crunchy everything land!

Default Musical ads and videos

Does anyone else get irked and distracted by music that plays when you look at an ad or a video of a horse? I am certainly not on the market for a horse, but I still come across ads and videos when I look at other stuff. Do you ever find that your initial reaction is to be turned off from the horse because of the godawful music playing in the background that makes you just want to navigate away from the page?

Haha, maybe it's not that big of a deal, but I always find it kind of obnoxious to have blaring music in the background. If I must see it, I turn off my speakers and try to get back to focusing on the content. I just don't think good marketing equals bad country music or driving old school rock music in the background...
    When life throws you lemons, put on your best Asian accent and scream "Faaack yuuuu Rehmooohns!" (says yours truly, the half-Japanese kid )

My Pony Blog Dressage & My Horsey Life

I'm sure others will agree with you, but for me, it isn't a big deal. If the music is really annoying or distracting, I just hit the off switch for my speakers. Pretty painless... I've watched plenty of videos without music where the sound that IS there is even worse...like coach yelling at rider, mother sighing and coughing, etc. I sometimes think the choice of music can be kind of interesting, like what are they trying to say by choosing THIS song?!

Ok, I'll give you that. Sometimes if they have something not particularly obnoxious, sometimes it'll catch your interest and you'll actually consider what kind of emotion or thought they're trying to convey with their music choice. And yeah, sometimes the background noise is just as sucky. I just see SOOOOO MANY with craptastic country that sounds like it was just what they happened to be listening to when they uploaded. Country does not automatically equal cowboy, and I really don't see how it equates to hunter princess either. Saw a video the other day that was 7.5 minutes long of raucous country torture, and it was schooling on the flat for a hunter prospect, which I found baffling.
    When life throws you lemons, put on your best Asian accent and scream "Faaack yuuuu Rehmooohns!" (says yours truly, the half-Japanese kid )

This thread reminds me of that "sale" ad that used to be on YouTube, for a horse named "Chauncy." It had all kinds of crazy special effects and loud music. I think it was done as a joke.

If it's a "sale ad" for a horse, music is okay as long as it's background instrumental music. If it compliments the horse's movement, or the discipline that the horse is trained in/bred for, music can even be a nice touch.

However, unless your horse actually comes standard with a built-in MP3 player or satellite radio, it shouldn't be blaring throughout the video. . .no matter how much the owner/seller of the horse happens to like a particular song or artist.
    Please copy and paste this to your signature if you know someone, or have been affected by someone who needs a smack upside the head. Lets raise awareness.

Ah, I didn't really mean background instrumental music persay. Some nice, tasteful classical complementing a dressage horse's music is ok as long as it's subtle. Maybe not Flight of the Valkyries, but something mellow. But why should I be listening about why your old lady ran off with your best friend and left you spending heartbroken, lonely nights in your faithful old truck if you're trying to sell me a horse that you're asking $10k for? Your favorite country or rock or heavens, rap song do not reflect your horse's talents and are not pertinent.

Haha, I like the standard built in mp3 player or satellite radio comment That's catchy.

It doesnt really bother me, but when I took riding video of Spring when he was for sale and uploaded i didn't realize that my phone was playing music. But all you hear right as we start of is "Big Girl you are beautifuuul!" By Mika. and the ride lasted approximately the length of the song, i couldn't have timed it better if i tried.
    Did you know, today is yesterdays tomorrow and what you would leave for tomorrow you should do today?
    I am pro-Slaughter