The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Cross Cantering after the jump

Hello all...would appreciate any insight you could provide. My horse recently started cross cantering after jumps. She does not do this all the time and seems to only do it when the fences are set up high. Has anyone experienced this? Any ideas? For what it's worth, I've got the vet coming out to check her out this week and we're also going to give her an adequan shot. Thanks in advance for your replies. >H

Quote Originally Posted by HannaLeBlond View Post
    Hello all...would appreciate any insight you could provide. My horse recently started cross cantering after jumps. She does not do this all the time and seems to only do it when the fences are set up high. Has anyone experienced this? Any ideas? For what it's worth, I've got the vet coming out to check her out this week and we're also going to give her an adequan shot. Thanks in advance for your replies. >H
    It could be her hocks. When my mare landed from a jump, swapped in front, and then continued to cross canter down the line, she needed her hocks injected. She was also missing changes behind.

Horses also sometimes cross canter after jumps if they're not balanced going into the jump or if it's an awkward distance, but that shouldn't be a regular thing.