The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Cloudy red water after earthquake?

I might be a bit too cautious here...but after the earthquake yesterday, our water is red-ish and very very cloudy. I had filled up the tank to take back to the horses and it looked pretty awful.

My dad suggested that the well just got shaken up and will settle and that this water is fine to give the horses.

Anyone have experience or opinions?
    Charlie Brown (1994 bay TB X gelding)
    White Star (2004 grey TB gelding)

Mystical Moment, 1977-2010.

I suspect your father is correct. WE sometimes have our water get rather "gritty" and to solve it, we run a hose AT THE WELL PUMP for several hours to clear it

Ours does this after the water has been shut off for a few hours. Just run it until it clears--and don't wash any white laundry!

Likely this is just the iron deposits from your well casing and pipes. The shaking mechanically dislodged/transported and are now concentrated in the water until everything flushes. Or possibly during the quake liquifaction moved some unwanted sediments into the developed well cone. What shawnee Acres said is correct and when a new well goes in pumping the well is a normal procedure to clear the water. In your case you would be redeveloping an established well by pumping to remove and thus improve water quality.

To check if this is iron....just add some iron-out to the water and see if the red goes bye-bye. Do not water your stock with that tho! There is no upper limit for iron concentration in well water for livestock becasue there is no toxicity assoc'ed with iron concentration in well water for livestock.

Tho rare on occassion I have seen/heard after an event that old/unknown septic contaminates find their way into well water. This tends to be nasty looking water and not the typical iron red coloring.

If in doubt call a water quailty firm and boil that water before used for humans.

It seems to be clearing up a bit...Ive been running it for awhile and it's definitely clearer than it was last night. If it doesnt get much better, i'll definitely call the water quality firm and see what they say!

Sounds good.

How far were you from the epicenter?

I wouldn't worry about it if it is iron water -- on a good day our water is red and cloudy, but it is fine for horses. ours don't mind the taste.

We're about 12-ish miles from the epi-center. Close enough to freak me out pretty good! No permanant damage other than a few broken picture frames/jars!

Very cool. Would have been thrilled to have experienced it with you!

Thanks for my hydrogeo fix today. But the semester has started and my Fluid Mechanics text is still sitting here wrapped in plastic....gruuurrrr...I better get at it.

Send me a PM if you get after shocks!

How scary!! Glad you & your ponies are OK

Quote Originally Posted by Highflyer View Post
    Ours does this after the water has been shut off for a few hours. Just run it until it clears--and don't wash any white laundry!
    that!!

We had red water when the fire department drained the mud out of the hydrants (don't get me started on the water in that city) or they worked on the water lines...
    Quote Originally Posted by Mozart View Post
    Personally, I think the moderate use of shock collars in training humans should be allowed.