The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Itch remedy?

I got a severely itchy spot on my arm.

I thought it was a mosquito bite, but it seems to be spreading.
    a cluster of tiny welts...naturally now everything is red from rubbing.

I tried a cortisone creme, seemed to work briefly, but no longer, tried Lanocane...same.

I have been wearing a new bracelet (poly rope braid...like those 'survival bracelets' that are in right now) took a couple of St John's worth a couple of days back...

do I need an oatmeal bath?

I have been cleaning but I don't think I got into spiders, did I?

it is ITCHING

help?

When I hear tiny welts, I think poison ivy type rash. It just needs time to run its course. What works well seems to vary person to person. Oatmeal baths do nothing for me if I have a rash, but I know some people like them. There are a variety of different topical ointments on the market, and you may just need to try a few to see what works best for you. Calamine was one I liked.

If it gets significantly worse, it may not hurt to get your doc's opinion.

Hope you feel better soon.

tea tree oil?
    I've used my horse's TZone before too.
    Might take a couple applications.. maybe throw in a Benedryl or two?
    Sure hope you feel better, I've scratched myself bloody before discovering tea tree oil.
    ....... pausing

I am relatively sure I did not gt into poison Ivy. that is some nasty stuff I do not care to get again...

I hope I canmake it reasonably well through the weekend...I think Monday I need to go to see the doc on a hopefully unrelated issue (feeling sapped all the time)

I think i got some benadril somepalce...I know I got teatree oil! Yippee!

Benedryl?

Do you have an aloe vera plant? If you do, get a leaf, open it, and put it on the itch. It's good for anything skin related, especially burns. For my unfortunate resent interaction with poison oak, it helped a lot.

Quote Originally Posted by Foxtrot's View Post
    Benedryl?
    yes

(I can't spell nor type...I wonder how I can make myself understood at times)

check on the Aloe, too.

Outside Ocala FL - Horse Capital of the World

I find the Benadryl gel or spray works best.
    There are friends and faces that may be forgotten, but there are horses that never will be. - Andy Adams

double dose of Equimax

Alagirl - I was not meaning to correct your spelling, just did not read your full post. Benadryl is our go-to for itches, in dogs, too.

Quote Originally Posted by Foxtrot's View Post
    Alagirl - I was not meaning to correct your spelling, just did not read your full post. Benadryl is our go-to for itches, in dogs, too.

LOL, I realized that as soon as I hit send

I took 2 and slept like a baby

I still don't know what got me there, but it's much better today.

I'm suffering from literally hundreds of chigger bites and the itching is insane! Through my trial and error of lots of different products, aloe gel and walgreen's anti-itch spray seem the most effective in quelling the itch.

I got my infestation freeing a fawn from our hogwire fence. He tried to jump through the fence to get away from my dogs and got hopelessly stuck. Unfortunately this all happened just as I got up and let the dogs loose so I was barefoot and in my tshirt and undies sleepwear. Talk about giving the vermin full access!
    If you believe everything you read, better not read. -- Japanese Proverb

Default Chigger bites

Debbi, do give this a try, Absorbine Veterinary Liniment, Love the Gel form but liquid works great on chiggers too. Best thing have found for them.

ML

Quote Originally Posted by Alagirl View Post

I tried a cortisone creme, seemed to work briefly, but no longer, tried Lanocane...same.

I have been wearing a new bracelet (poly rope braid...like those 'survival bracelets' that are in right now) took a couple of St John's worth a couple of days back...

it is ITCHING

help?
    go to doc sounds liek you have caught ringworm which can be caught from horses

I promise that you can get poison ivy, even if you never saw any. We seem to be cultivating 38 acres of the stuff. We did a lot of weeding last week and were very careful to watch what we were touching, and it was the garden around our mailbox, not in the woods or anything. Well 3 of 3 people now have poison ivy. My husband and younger son get it if they come near the horrid stuff, and they almost always get a terrible case. I'm not as reactive to it, but I still have quite a few spots. Poison ivy generally looks like little (or bigger, if you are my husband) blisters. I do think the poison ivy soap helps, if you use it right after contact (which means I use it after doing anything outside).

Default Chigger Bites

I'm also going crazy from the chigger bites I got last weekend.

I was weeding around the barn in a wooded area. I wore gloves - so at least there are none on my hands. But I stupidly was wearing shorts and a t-shirt.

I have been washing them twice a day, taking Benadryl frequently, and applying anti-itch spray/cream.

I seriously want to tear my skin off at this point. What else can I do?

As someone who has been having terrible reactions from insects of all sorts this summer....ORAL benadryl is very helpful. I had an entire body rash and a couple rounds of oral benadryl knocked it out in a day. none of the creams did anything.

I also heard that honey or bag balm is VERY helpful with itching. Couldnt hurt!
    Charlie Brown (1994 bay TB X gelding)
    White Star (2004 grey TB gelding)

Mystical Moment, 1977-2010.

I can't take oral Benadryl, but I have tried a Benadryl gel on my chigger bites with some relief. What is working the best for me is taking HOT showers, putting on sesame oil and then spraying with WalGreens brand anti-itch spray.

I got my bites cutting a fawn out of a wire fence after my dogs chased her into it. This happened just when I got up and let the dogs out, so when I heard the fawn screaming I ran out barefoot in my sleep clothes. I had to drag my great dane back to the house and get wire cutters so I put on shoes and shorts, but the chiggers still had full access. I have hundreds of bites from my waist down; it's insane. This could be a form of torture, forget water boarding use chiggers!
    If you believe everything you read, better not read. -- Japanese Proverb

...I have been wearing a new bracelet (poly rope braid...like those 'survival bracelets' that are in right now) took a couple of St John's worth a couple of days back...
    ?
    I once got a massive PI outbreak on my arm from a cheap wooden bracelet that I bought on the streets of NYC. Turns out the bracelet was made from ginko wood that has trace amounts of urushiol. It took me months and several trips to the doctor to figure it out.

If your itchy rash is someplace your new bracelet rubs be very suspicious.

it is ITCHING

help?
    It was the curse I put on you for being nasty on a slaughter thread. The curse involved something to do with a camel and 1000 fleas...but I don't remember exactly. Is your camel itching too????