The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Horse laundry + HE washer= intense frustration

So frustrated with my HE washer right now- have washed a load of wraps, towels, and a couple baby pads TWICE and it is barely cleaner than when I started. I get slightly better results if I use the "heavy duty" mode, however this makes the stuff come out completely soaked (like wring it out, no amount of drain and spin cycles can fix soaked). I thought a couple things were clean only to find a huge chunk of dirt/lint/hair stuck in a fold somewhere. A friend suggested I pre-soak which sounded like a good idea, however I did not see a soak option anywhere on the washer...look up the manual and in the diagram there is supposed to be a "soak" setting. My washer does not have this. I don't know if we have some weird no soak model or if there was some major error??

It was also suggested I second rinse so I tried that but no luck. I had a lot of stuff in there so I took out whatever was reasonably clean and ran it again (the third time) on heavy duty so we'll see how that works out-I'll deal with soaked if it's clean.

Anyone with a HE washer have any tips? I threw some oxy clean in but that seemed to accomplish nothing.

I always use Max Extract to get all the water out of everything. Saves time in the dryer too.

Hmm, what brand do you have? I have Kenmore's and they seem to do just fine. Granted I only have one horse, but I did a load of polos and no-bows yesterday and everything came out clean on the quick wash setting. All I used was Tide.
    Caitlin
    *OMGiH I Loff my Mare* and *My Saddlebred Can Do Anything Your Horse Can Do*
    http://community.webshots.com/user/redmare01

Windward Farm, Washougal, WA- our work in progress, our money pit, our home!

Is this a front load or top load washer? My front load gets my pads, etc. very clean on "normal" wash. I do not use much detergent and I do not put more than 3 items (square pads for example) at a time.

The only thing my washer doesn't do well with is horse blankets--just not big enough to get them thoroughly clean, but it can do a fairly clean turnout sheet, and does a bang up job on stable sheets.

I also don't tell my husband I wash this stuff in there
    Proud member of the "Don't rush to kill wildlife" clique!

It's a whirlpool, top load which I think might be the problem It did better this time with less stuff in it, but it's annoying plus it defeats the purpose when I have to do 3 small HE loads to do what one non-HE load could do

There was a really good HE thread a few weeks ago. You may want to read through it.

No idea what's wrong with your top loader. Is it possible it's not functioning right? I have a HE front loader, and I love it... so it's not a problem with all HE washers.

Never had any luck getting horse stuff clean in a top loader.
    You need to get a front load HE washer.
    You're entitled to your own opinion, not your own facts!

Quote Originally Posted by philosoraptor View Post
    There was a really good HE thread a few weeks ago. You may want to read through it.

No idea what's wrong with your top loader. Is it possible it's not functioning right? I have a HE front loader, and I love it... so it's not a problem with all HE washers.
    Any idea what the title of the thread was? I remembered there being a thread too but I can't search for just "he" and had no luck with "washer".

General consensus seems to be that top load HEs suck I think it's working, but I'm probably going to attempt to call them anyway because I don't know why I don't have "soak" when the manual says I should..soaking would probably help my problem. I finally managed to get the wraps and towels clean enough but the pads are still covered in hair. Someone on my facebook mentioned that you can get an agitator type thing to put in the washer, anyone heard of that?

Quote Originally Posted by JinxyPoo View Post
    Any idea what the title of the thread was? I remembered there being a thread too but I can't search for just "he" and had no luck with "washer".

General consensus seems to be that top load HEs suck I think it's working, but I'm probably going to attempt to call them anyway because I don't know why I don't have "soak" when the manual says I should..soaking would probably help my problem. I finally managed to get the wraps and towels clean enough but the pads are still covered in hair. Someone on my facebook mentioned that you can get an agitator type thing to put in the washer, anyone heard of that?
    I have a front load but this may help:

I always put dirty horse stuff on SOAK cycle first, then either a NORMAL wash for saddle pads and towels, or HEAVY DUTY for blankets.
    Add the EXTRA RINSE cycle to get all the soap out.
    It takes a bit longer to run all of these cycles but my stuff comes out clean.
    Occassionally, I'll run the white pads and towels with bleach and an extra rinse.

What soap are you using?
    I use the Rambo Wash specifially designed for smelly horse laundry. Works way better than "people" detergent and rinses out so no irritation for the horses.
    You're entitled to your own opinion, not your own facts!

1. for really nasty stuff.. vacuum (shop vac works great.. relatively cheap at menards.. dont need the big one). Hose off if needed.

2. put in washer, remember you have to leave room for it to agitate (if agitator) and move freely. Over packing a washer is fine with normal human clothes that don't get too "dirty" but when dealing with real grime, doesn't help at all.

Just using random tide HE detergent, is it okay to use the blanket stuff in HE washers? I don't have a soak cycle...though the manual says I should have one. No idea what that's about. :/

Thanks for the vacuum tip, that should help since the biggest problem seems to be getting the hair off. There's no agitator, I'm trying not to fill it more than halfway which seems to be slightly better.

up the hill from the little river (that floods alarmingly often)

Yeah, do make sure your washer is functioning properly. I didn't know my old POS had been malfunctioning until I got the new HE front load (an LG), and suddenly things were looking much cleaner.

So far I haven't had issues with mine getting things clean, but I haven't had horse laundry, just dog laundry and husband lawn-mowing laundry.
    Full-time bargain hunter.

I have a whirlpool HE top loader and have the same frustration. It doesn't have the agitator and it seems that things like saddle pads just sit in whatever position they land in. I only wash two pads at a time, put it on heavy duty or bulky items, use the soak, set the soil level to high, and do the extra rinse, and I still have sections of my pads that don't look like they've been touched. Wherever the pad has folded over on itself, it's still perfectly soiled under the fold. I bought this agitator free top loading HE washer with the presumption that it would do a great job on my horse stuff, and it's TERRIBLE! I keep crossing my fingers that it will have a short life span so I can buy a front loader!

Hated my HE washer. The dryer was awesome but the clothes were never really clean and always smelled funny. Went back to old school. Clean clothes again. I think there is an issue when you have to buy something to CLEAN your washing machine so it doesn't stink. I mean, isn't that the purpose of the machine in the first place?????
    SPAY/NEUTER/RESCUE/ADOPT!
    Little Star Chihuahua Rescue
    The Barkalicious Bakery
    On Facebook!!!

I actually returned my top load HE machine. The reason I bought it was because it had such a large bucket area to wash things in and I was so excited to finally be able to get my saddle pads clean. It was the worst thing EVER! I think one of the problems is because it is energy efficient, you can never get the water to be super hot, and it never added enough water to the load to get things really clean.

I bought mine at Sears and they actually took it back, and then I just bought a normal, cheap top load that has been working fine. I have heard that the front load HE machines do a much better job...

Good luck, I hope yours is just malfunctioning and you can get it working right.

Still figuring out my topload HE Whirlpool, but for the most part, I am not a fan. The washer I purchased was rated "best" by Consumer Reports," so that is one reason I purchased it...well that and my not-so-old Maytag died. I DO have the "soak" feature on mine which I have learned to use on my filthy barn clothes. There's no way I would attempt horse blankets! Not sure I would have the option to return this to Lowe's, especially after I have used it for 2 months...but I am in the process of drafting a letter to Whirlpool voicing my displeasure.