The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Green Pony Status Question

Quick question..

Someone had mentioned to me that if a pony only showed at an A show in the greens once in the season, they can give up the status for that year and go green again the next year? Is this true? If so, how does oen go about doing that?

TIA!
    "If you are nervous you arent focused-if you are focused, there is no room for nerves!"

ExchangeHunterJumper.com
    Shop our 50+ sale horses available at 2014 WEF, Thermal, Ocala & Gulfport here.

See HU105 in the current USEF rulebook, which is available to view online at usef.org.

Dana
    Friends don't let friends ride junk!

You can do 3 shows before May 15th and then need to reinstate by the end of the year

Do you have to use the green status the following year or can you wait a couple years to use it?

You don't "use" green status, you break it. As long as you don't break it (again) the pony remains eligible to compete in the Greens.
    ExchangeHunterJumper.com

twhs,
    Yes, it is my understanding that the pony must then break his green year the year after reinstatement. You may want to check with the USEF about that but that is what I was told by the USEF when I reinstated a pony last year.

Hmmm. Will admit I have no "official" knowledge and have been wrong before But know I've seen pony records that showed greens 2 or 3 times in one season (whatever the limit is), reinstate and show the Childrens (or some such) for the next season, and return to the greens the following season.
    ExchangeHunterJumper.com

Quote Originally Posted by Picturesque View Post
    twhs,
    Yes, it is my understanding that the pony must then break his green year the year after reinstatement. You may want to check with the USEF about that but that is what I was told by the USEF when I reinstated a pony last year.
    That is not what the rule says. It says "a future competition year" not the very next year. At that point it is the same as a horse or pony having never broken its green status.

HU105 Green Status – Reinstatement.
    1. A horse’s or pony’s green status may be reinstated for a future competition year if it was not shown at the regulation height at more than four (4) competitions prior to September 1st and if it was not shown at that height after September 1st in the same year. Horses are not eligible for a first year green reinstatement if they have competed in the Junior Hunter Championships or an International Hunter Derby within the same year. A pony is not eligible for a green reinstatement if they have competed in the National Pony Finals. BOD 8/2/10 Effective 12/1/10
    a. The Federation recorded owner must submit a letter requesting green reinstatement via certified/return receipt mail, which must reach the Federation office on or before
    November 30th of the year of withdrawal. The request must be made during the year in which green status was broken.
    b. A $25 processing fee, a list of competitions with dates where the horse or pony competed at its regulation or higher, the horse’s or pony’s name and Federation recording number must accompany the green reinstatement request.
    c. At the time of request, the horse or pony must stop competing over fences its respective height or higher for the remainder of that competition year.
    d. If the horse or pony is not actively recorded at the time of request, it must be recorded/renewed at that time. Failure to do so will result in the horse or pony losing its green status. The owner will receive a letter indicating the horse’s or pony’s green eligibility.
    e. A Green Reinstatement will only be granted one time for first year horses and one time for second year horses and one time for ponies.
    f. In the event an owner of a horse is not satisfied with the decision, they may submit a written appeal to be heard by the Federation Hearing Committee at a $100 appeal fee.
    An owner of a pony may submit a written appeal free of charge. An appeal does not guarantee the reinstatement will be granted.