The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Animal Kingdom confirmed for the Belmont!

http://www.thoroughbredtimes.com/rac...r-belmont.aspx

Motion: "He bounced out of the Preakness very well..."

It looks to be a rather large field for the Belmont.

the Daily Racing Form is suggesting the following ..

Belmont Stakes probable starters:
    Alternation
    Animal Kingdom
    Brilliant Speed
    Master of Hounds
    Monzon
    Mucho Macho Man
    Nehro
    Prime Cut
    Ruler On Ice
    Santiva
    Shackleford
    Stay Thirsty

Possibles:
    Awesome Patriot
    Harlan’s Hello
    Isn’t He Perfect

Anthony's Cross, who never made it to the Derby due to health issues, won't go to the Belmont either. He's returning to his owner's farm - Calumet - for some R&R:

Trainer Eoin Harty said he hopes to have Anthony’s Cross ready for the $1 million Travers Stakes at Saratoga on Aug. 27.

“I gave up on chasing the Triple Crown,” Harty said. “I was fighting it. Hopefully I can get him ready for the Travers.”

I love Shackleford. He was my pick for the Derby, in all honesty, because I liked the wider odds and there was something about that big bright chestnut with the blingy blaze and goofy expression that appealed to me. He has a very comical and devious face... the kind of personality I love. His near wire to wire in the Derby was impressive and he was honestly beat by a strong closer in AK. A clean race he clearly was ready for, overtaken or not.

I worried about my boy in the Preakness, you never know if these young boys can bounce back after just two weeks. But he did, with impressive style, and showing a consistent miler form barely holding off another impressive run by AK.

But... dangit ... I wish he wasn't running in the Belmont and they would keep him for more appropriate races. Unless they've changed something, he is a miler, mile and a sixteenth max... he just doesn't have the second gear in the stretch that closers do despite his fabulous early running. Unless the field aka AK, collapses they are just wasting time, money, and horse. I will watch and cheer my boy on... but I wont bet on him
    Zippos Kryptonite (Reno) 05' AQHA
    Little Miss Understood (Indy) 01' Appaloosa
    The Unturned Stone (Chase) 11' AQHA
    ~ Rescue Mom to: Hope, Ciara, Charlotte, Ace, Knox

I think it is absolutely insane to run Shackleford in the Belmont. I don't see how anything good could possibly come from it.

I agree Laurie - I just don't get that one....

I'm glad to see Shackleford taking on the Belmont. Maybe he can set a slow pace and lead from wire to wire again. Anything's possible. I'd like to see Isn't He Perfect run too.

If all the horses show up this will be the most exciting Belmont for me in ages. I can't wait!!!!
    "All top hat and no canter". *Graureiter*

Very excited to see Master of Hounds running.

Also not happy to see Shackleford running....don't see the point.
    "look deep into his pedigree. Look for the name of a one-of-a-kind horse who lends to his kin a fierce tenacity, a will of iron, a look of eagles. Look & know that Slew is still very much with us."

I will be backing Master of Hounds again, and add me to the list who does not see the point of running Shackleford. He couldn't go a mile and a quarter in the Derby, what do they think he'll do at a mile and a half?

Quote Originally Posted by City Ponies View Post
    I love Shackleford. He was my pick for the Derby, in all honesty, because I liked the wider odds and there was something about that big bright chestnut with the blingy blaze and goofy expression that appealed to me. He has a very comical and devious face... the kind of personality I love. His near wire to wire in the Derby was impressive and he was honestly beat by a strong closer in AK. A clean race he clearly was ready for, overtaken or not.

I worried about my boy in the Preakness, you never know if these young boys can bounce back after just two weeks. But he did, with impressive style, and showing a consistent miler form barely holding off another impressive run by AK.

But... dangit ... I wish he wasn't running in the Belmont and they would keep him for more appropriate races. Unless they've changed something, he is a miler, mile and a sixteenth max... he just doesn't have the second gear in the stretch that closers do despite his fabulous early running. Unless the field aka AK, collapses they are just wasting time, money, and horse. I will watch and cheer my boy on... but I wont bet on him
    Ditto this. I love Shackleford. I just don't think it is fair to a horse who clearly finishes his races with his heart, to ask him to run further than his body can comfortably carry him. I wish his connections would respect that and let him be. He is too nice for that. I pray that he doesn't break himself down trying so hard.
    I have to say that I also thought Mucho Macho Man looked terrible at the Preakness. He looked way too light for me...did anyone else notice this? I think one of the TV people said they noticed that too.

I'm pretty much a newbie to the racing game, but I don't understand why so many are against Shackleford running. None of these horses have any racing experience at 12f, and, for the most part, I believe the only 10f race some may have experienced was the Derby. I don't see any reason why Shackleford doesn't have as much chance as every other untested horse in the field. And really, he finished less than 4 lengths behind in the Derby, I hardly think that qualifies as not making the 1 1/4 mi.

What am I missing here?

If I may speak for others, Shackleford appears unable to sustain his drive past 1 1/8 miles. In the Preakness, he was able to slow the pace down after that speedy first quarter and milk a little more energy out to extend himself to 1 3/16 miles. Had the Preakness been 1 1/4 miles, I believe that Animal Kingdom would have caught him just as he did in the Derby. Considering the Belmont is a 1/4 mile longer than that distance, it seems like it's setting him up to collapse in the stretch and get swallowed by the closers at the quarter pole.

When Bob Costas asked if they were off to Belmont, I said out loud, "Oh no, no." But, heck, when I saw him washed out and fractious, I assumed he would burn up his energy in that first half mile and fold in the stretch, and I was wrong then, too. I hope I am.
    SA Ferrana Moniet
    Not goodbye--just waiting at the end of the trail.
    My bloggity blog: Hobby Horse: Adventures of the Perpetual Newbie

Ok, I see that point, Lauruffian.

I, too, hope Shackleford can prove "them" wrong...but getting a nice second to AK But a close second!

I like the horse and would love to see how do well but would be surprised if he doesn't stop to a proverbial walk in mid-stretch. I just don't see any way he could be competitive when he stopped after such an easy lead in the Derby. Hopefully the worst thing that happens is he gets his heart broken a little bit.

Quote Originally Posted by Laurierace View Post
    I like the horse and would love to see how do well but would be surprised if he doesn't stop to a proverbial walk in mid-stretch. I just don't see any way he could be competitive when he stopped after such an easy lead in the Derby. Hopefully the worst thing that happens is he gets his heart broken a little bit.
    Agreed. He just does not run like a horse who can keep it up for 1 1/2. Though maybe if it rains buckets he'll be in with a chance, as IIRC his connections were hoping for rain on Derby Day.

I think Master of Hounds will give AK a run for his money. I don't think that Shackleford can keep it up for the distance.

3M gets a new jockey. Ramon Dominguez, last year’s Eclipse Award-winning jockey, will ride Mucho Macho Man in the June 11 Belmont Stakes, his agent, Steve Rushing, informed on Wednesday. Removed was Rajiv Maragh.

A possible record on June 11th with Derby also-rans pointing to the Belmont.

Animal Kingdom, Nehro, Mucho Macho Man, Shackleford, Master of Hounds, Santiva, and Brilliant Speed were the first seven across the wire in the Kentucky Derby on May 7, and if all come back, as now scheduled, on June 11 in the Belmont Stakes at Belmont Park, it will mark the first time ever that the first seven finishers in the Derby also competed in the Belmont Stakes.
    The current record, accomplished in 1949 and 1950, was having the first five finishers in the Derby run in the Belmont.

Ak not doing too badly..... He dropped his rider today. But never fear rider kept ahold of the reins, got legged right back up.

But instead of galloping a mile and a half, he did a flat mile. (Because thats when AK stuck his feet in the dirt and stopped with the other gallopers from Graham's String)

A better description is on the Steeplechase Times site (www.St-publishing.com)

~Emily
    "Courage is not the absence of fear but rather the judgment that something is more important than fear. The brave may not live forever but the cautious do not live at all." ~2001 The Princess Diaries