The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default One of my dogs eats the other dog's collar....help?

I have a mini schnauzer and a Chihuahua. The M.S. is just over a year old and the Chi is almost two, so they're essentially puppies. M.S. has eaten 4 of Chi's collars in the last year. 3 were nylon with the ribbon type coating, one was leather with metal spikes/studs. Any suggestions as to how I can keep a collar on the Chi without the M.S. always eating them?

do you need to have a collar on them when they aren't on leashes/under your direct supervision? Mine don't wear collars when at home in the house. Microchipped of course just in case. Leash walks they wear harnesses (with ID tag riveted on just in case) no collar. Off leash dog park romps they wear emergency release collars with ID embroidered on.
    I hate jingling dog tags (which often fall off or become unreadable), and um, with a chi aren't you at risk of serious throat injury if you walk on a collar?
    Last edited by wendy; May. 4, 2011 at 04:47 PM.

Microchip them and forget the collars. Mine never wear them, it messes up their coats and I wory about the tags getting caught in their kennels, or them getting tangled up in each others collars.

One of my friends dogs strangled after her collar got caught on a hook for a bucket in the stall. My male dog's toe got stuck in the D ring on my females collar while they were playing, freaked them both out, and thankfully we were right there.

I don't leave collars on the dogs when we aren't out walking. I used to, but one night, during an energetic wrestling match, Simon got his lower jaw caught in Lance's collar. I was right there so no damage, fortunately, but it made me rethink the collar situation.
    I just have this fear of coming home one day and finding one dog garrotted and the other with a dislocated jaw.

Thanks everyone. They don't have to wear collar all the time. I just like to have them on for when they're out in the yard. The chihuahua wears a harness when we walk him anyhow, so the collar isn't 100% vital anyway. Besides that, his skin is really sensitive and if he wears a collar too much all of the hair falls off of his neck. So it's probably best he doesn't wear one unless he has to.

Thanks everyone. They don't have to wear collar all the time. I just like to have them on for when they're out in the yard. The chihuahua wears a harness when we walk him anyhow, so the collar isn't 100% vital anyway. Besides that, his skin is really sensitive and if he wears a collar too much all of the hair falls off of his neck. So it's probably best he doesn't wear one unless he has to.

I really don't understand why dog owners are not made more aware (by warning labels etc.) that collars can be so dangerous to dogs. If it were children - collars would be banned by now! (like the drop-down cribs)

I stopped putting collars on my two dogs because one did get her jaw stuck under the other. If we hadn't been there who knows what would have happened!

I also had a friend who this happened to with her dogs. But she wasn't there.... she came home to one dog strangled to death by the other dog who had its jaw stuck under the other's collar. Horrible tragic incident!

I only use collars when they are on the leash now because they can be so dangerous like that.