The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Dog jumping on doors/walls - help!

When my (now) husband moved in a year and a half ago, he brought his young Lab mix along. She is a super sweet dog but was very timid/anxiety ridden when she moved in. She's made huge strides in that area though she's still a bit dramatic in her highs and lows.
    It seems her go to response when she gets excited is to jump - she does respond well to praise and so we've been working with her on this issue. I do not acknowledge her when I come home until she settles and sits - it hasn't taken her too long to catch on to the idea that she gets no attention jumping but quickly gets love when she sits. However, I can't seem to break her of the initial problem, which is jumping on the front door or the bedroom door (depending on where we've put her and her buddy) when she initially hears that we've come home. We live in a small space without much room to work with, and since she is a relatively large dog, we have no room to crate her (and I don't really desire to crate her at this point either - apart from the jumping, she's typically very relaxed and spends most of the time hanging out and generally being a good girl).

At any rate - her jumping on the door has absolutely ruined the frame and the paint on the door. I know this is part and parcel with having an animal - inevitably something will get damaged, but soon we're going to have our entire house painted. I'm not thrilled with the idea of shelling out big (to us) bucks to have our house painted and then have her back to jumping on the door.

We are working with her on the training aspect of this but obviously I cannot do anything about her ALREADY leaping on the door when I'm on the other side of it just getting home. Is there anything at all I can do to discourage this behavior? I'm open to any and all suggestions at this point - it's super frustrating. She's otherwise a great dog and a pleasure to have around.
    Looks like I picked the wrong week to quit sniffing glue.

A Voice Halted

Sounds bad - but - a shot collar can be operated by you from outside the door.
    ... _. ._ .._. .._

We had actually thought about a shock collar but they seem to be super expensive considering we don't really need it for anything else...I had to use a bark collar for a brief period on my dog a few years ago and it worked, but even the bark collars are much less expensive it seems.

I will do some more research on the collar aspect.
    Looks like I picked the wrong week to quit sniffing glue.

A Voice Halted