The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Horse Show Souveniers aka "What are all the cool kids buying?"

I am looking for input on horse show souveniers - apparel items, etc. I haven't been to the big shows in a while, and styles are changing constantly. What always seems to sell out? Polo's? T-shirts? Hats?
    Spitball those ideas at me! I am looking for all suggestions!
    My new mantra - \"Life is too short not to eat ice cream.\"
    ReRiders Clique

I'll often buy hats for presents since you don't have to worry about getting the right size.

And kids today love a good backpack.

Polos, Saddle pads, and hats. Polos and Saddle pads for the riders who go through them like nobody's business. Hats for helmet-hair, and for parents
    Seig Heil Polo Shirt!

My favorite horse show souvenir ever:

The Devon Horse Show rubber thing for opening pickle jars.

It mixes the sacred and the profane, high- and low culture, form and function.

Do you guys know what I'm talking about? Those rubber circles of your parents' and grandparents' generation meant to give you traction when opening a jar with a big lid? You usually got them at a local hardware store with the mom-n-pop store's logo on them.

I think some horse show or the USEF should just bust out and sell commemorative sharps container.
    The armchair saddler
    Politically Pro-Cat

Okay, I'm not sure how popular this would be but it always surprised me that horse shows never make tall boots socks. I go through them like no other and am always buying more pairs. I would have bought a HITs pair of tall boot socks or WEF tall boot socks in a heartbeat!

Also, picture frames. I have a frame that says "HITs" on it, and looks awesome with a sick shot of us over an oxer I bought.

Quote Originally Posted by mvp View Post
    Do you guys know what I'm talking about? Those rubber circles of your parents' and grandparents' generation meant to give you traction when opening a jar with a big lid? You usually got them at a local hardware store with the mom-n-pop store's logo on them.
    I know exactly what you are talking about, I have one with the name of the local laundromat on it, and its invaluable. But now that I know there is Devon one I will have to see if I can acquire one of those instead.

City of delusion in the state of total denial

I prefer visors to hats, personally. I had one I got at Devon a few years ago that I wore to pieces and want a replacement.

Boot socks would be a great idea!
    "I'm not always sarcastic. Sometimes I'm asleep."
    - Harry Dresden

Horse Isle 2: Legend of the Esrohs LifeCycle Breeding and competition MMORPG

Quote Originally Posted by Rel6 View Post
    Okay, I'm not sure how popular this would be but it always surprised me that horse shows never make tall boots socks. I go through them like no other and am always buying more pairs. I would have bought a HITs pair of tall boot socks or WEF tall boot socks in a heartbeat!
    Come to Devon this year
    ~Veronica
    "The Son Dee Times" "Sustained" "Somerset" "Franklin Square"
    http://photobucket.com/albums/y192/vxf111/

Quote Originally Posted by BAC View Post
    I know exactly what you are talking about, I have one with the name of the local laundromat on it, and its invaluable. But now that I know there is Devon one I will have to see if I can acquire one of those instead.
    Every year I argue in favor of "practical" stuff like this and I always get outvoted that it's not "high end" enough.

We sell REALLY well on pins, tees, sweatshirts, and baseball caps (no huge surprise). Anything unusual/different goes really fast too (the year we had embroidered anorack jackets, Vineyard Vines). Our sterling necklaces were pricey but sold shockingly well. Baby pads are out best equestrian item. PLUSH sells huge.
    ~Veronica

Vxf, will there be Devon stuff available online this year? I keep checking the website, but the only thing I see is the cookbook.

The company doing the website is volunteer, so things move slowly.

Right now the posters and the cookbook are live. I am told that sometime before the show this year, clothing and jewelry will be live. I don't know the exact date for that.

It's always going to be a "greatest hits" or basic collection and not EVERYTHING we have at the show. I think a navy/white hat, navy sweatshirt, navy and white tees-- basic stuff. Maybe a little Vineyard Vines... but not the stuff that we have and change year after year or all the variety.
    ~Veronica

^ Thanks!

It's always fun to peruse all the different things in person, but at least there will be a few options for those who shop from home.

I am looking forward to seeing what Devon has this year.

Thanks everyone for the suggestions!!
    My new mantra - \"Life is too short not to eat ice cream.\"
    ReRiders Clique

Quote Originally Posted by vxf111 View Post
    The company doing the website is volunteer, so things move slowly.

Right now the posters and the cookbook are live. I am told that sometime before the show this year, clothing and jewelry will be live. I don't know the exact date for that.

It's always going to be a "greatest hits" or basic collection and not EVERYTHING we have at the show. I think a navy/white hat, navy sweatshirt, navy and white tees-- basic stuff. Maybe a little Vineyard Vines... but not the stuff that we have and change year after year or all the variety.
    It is live as of a few minutes ago!!!

http://devonhorseshow.net/store.php

Every year I argue in favor of "practical" stuff like this and I always get outvoted that it's not "high end" enough.

We sell REALLY well on pins, tees, sweatshirts, and baseball caps (no huge surprise). Anything unusual/different goes really fast too (the year we had embroidered anorack jackets, Vineyard Vines). Our sterling necklaces were pricey but sold shockingly well. Baby pads are out best equestrian item. PLUSH sells huge.
    I hope you tell your committee that I have enjoyed my Devon Horse Show jar opener for more than a decade now.

You know, in the beginning, Devon was a nice but "country" horse show. It wasn't Madison Square Garden-- the acknowledged "society" show of the turn of the 20th-century. I think it tries to keep that feel.

How about a Devon brushy boot scraper? I'd say boot jack or boot pulls, but no one uses those any more.
    The armchair saddler
    Politically Pro-Cat

Hurrah for the site being live. Doesn't it look NICE!

They have me on the committee so I can suggest things and they can ignore me. LOL! I suggested all kinds of practical things (hay cutters, ear nets, etc.) and got shut down. They like aiming for the main line mommy set and I have to be honest that that stuff SELLS

I did "win" on some items this year. Coolmax and regular boot socks. Kerritz riding tops with embroidery, soft shell riding jacket, super fancy hand embroidered belt. The belt's going to ROCK everyone's socks. I can hardly contain myself.
    ~Veronica

I did "win" on some items this year. Coolmax and regular boot socks. Kerritz riding tops with embroidery, soft shell riding jacket, super fancy hand embroidered belt. The belt's going to ROCK everyone's socks. I can hardly contain myself.
    You're killing me!

I worked a tack booth at the Foxhall Cup some years ago, and the surprising best seller there were nice, crushable straw sun hats. They were EXPENSIVE, too!

The first year we had fancy shmancy straw hats, people were clawing each other's eyes out to get 'em. The next year... yawn! People seem to always want what's new.
    ~Veronica