The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Swollen Knees

I recently went to pick my horse up out of his pasture and he had 2 swollen knees. Very odd as there was no heat, and no lameness. Rode him for a while and the swelling subsided by half.

The following day only one knee remained swollen. Again, no lameness. Since he was headed to a clinic we sweated the swollen knee and he was fine. No swelling has returned.

But then the other knee blew up! Again, no heat and no lameness. We're planning on sweating the now affected knee this weekend.

A lameness expert was out for another horse, saw his knee and said it was a leaky tendon sheath. And said to not be concerned and that he could draw the fluids off if I wanted or we could sweat THAT knee now.

But should I be? Again, no lameness. Goes down by half with work. My trainer has suggested that if it doesn't completely disappate this weekend with the sweating we should do a Vetalog shot.

Looking for some input on this situation.....

We have one with swelling above the knee. Vet drew off fluid, checked for infection (none), it is joint fluid and blood. He's on dex every other day, gastroguard (for the dex) and a furo/dmso pressure wrap sweat. No lameness, we're trying to avoid a cosmetic issue. We'll be doing xrays down the road to make sure there were no changes. I see Adequan in his future, though.

I tend to be aggressive about things like this and so does my vet.
    "We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals." ~Immanuel Kant

Any chance there is a round bale feeder in your horse's pen, OP?

They feed by round bale over the winters in my one gelding's pasture and I was concerned when I found my guy with slightly swollen knees several times. Not unsound in any way. Took a few times for us to figure out what it was, but he was skidding in to the round bale feeder ( of course!). Once the feeder was moved to higher ground, the swollen knees stopped.

Just thought I'd bring it up in case, as with my guy it wasn't obvious.
    ....horses should be trained in such a way that they not only love their riders, but look forward to the time they are with them.
    ~ Xenophon, 350 B.C.

My guy doens't have that but he does LOVE to romp and play (or so I've been told) and so we think that he either bumped his knees into something or slipped and fell, hitting his knees on the ground. It seems odd, since he's been at this particular place he's had a rash of weird "alien attacks" as my friend calls them.

So how long would you leave your horse on Dex? I'm hoping that the sweating and pressure bandage will work as well on these knees as it does on the other.

His knee blew up HUGE on the 2nd day of the clinic nad I kept an eye on it. Didn't stop him from jumping around like a champ. And almost jumping me out of the tack!

We're on 3rd dose of Dex (every other day), pressure wrap 12 hours on 12 off. The swelling is still there, so the vet just changed him to 5 ml dex and 5 ml banamine every day, gastrogard, cold hosing, pressure wrap with Surpass, around the clock. We'll have to see what happens in the next day or two. My fingers are crossed at this point.

Hopefully, it will just be cosmetic.
    "We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals." ~Immanuel Kant