The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Good quality grain for adding weight without making horse hot

I have a 10 y/o TB/QH gelding who did very well over the winter on just hay and Min-a-Vite Lite for nutrients. He was off work for all of the snowy season. I've been riding him 2-3 times per week for the last 6 weeks or so (and going to be upping it to 4-5 per week soon), and he's started to drop some weight. He's not skinny, but he's not where I want him to be.

I would just add more hay, but he's fed in the paddock with his two fatty mcfatterson mare buddies, and I don't want them to have any more hay.

Also, he's much hotter than I'd like, even on no grain. So I want to add grain to give him the fat/protein he needs for increased work, but not make him hotter. Based on what I've read here, I'm leaning toward a Triple Crown product, but which one is right for this situation?

TC Sr

Quote Originally Posted by JB View Post
    TC Sr
    I concur. Some alfalfa pellets might help, too.

Quote Originally Posted by JB View Post
    TC Sr
    This^^^
    Boyle Heights Kid 1998 16.1h OTTB Dark Bay Gelding
    Tinner's Way x Sculpture by Hail to Reason
    "Once you go off track, you never go back!"

Have you considered soy oil as a source of cool calories. It has the added benefit of aiding against colic and the shine that their coat develops is incredible. I order in bulk from this site http://www.soynaturale.com/ContactUs.html
    , but have found individual gallons at some feed stores of Healthy-E oil, which is similar. We use it for a hot thoroughbred in the barn with propensity for colic.
    pace, path, balance, impulsion and ??

Don't panic! Ralph Leroy Hill

I also recommend TC Senior. I switched my 7y/o TB to it a couple of months ago. He's filled out beautifully, and is still the same level-headed horse as he's always been.
    <3 Vinnie <3
    1992-2010
    Jackie's Punt ("Bailey") My Finger Lakes Finest Thoroughbred

Quote Originally Posted by GrayCatFarm View Post
    Have you considered soy oil as a source of cool calories.
    But that's just not a good first step. Personally, I would never add oil for calories when the horse has only been getting hay. There are so many more nutritional benefits of weight gain in fortified products

It has the added benefit of aiding against colic
    Not really

If it has anything do do with aiding against colic, it's more along the lines of not contributing to it since it has no starches.

There are better things to add to the diet first. Weight gain is almost as much about good nutrition as it is about more calories, and oil only brings fat to the table.

TC senior, beet pulp, free choice good, quality GRASS hay... worked wonders with a hard keeper ASB of mine...

I like the Pennfield's Fibergized for this sort of situation; and maybe some rice bran pellets on top of that. However, there are many different methods that are going to work. Run the numbers, find out what feeds are easiest for you to get, and make a decision from there.

Is he stalled at night? Maybe you can set him up with some extra hay in a small mesh hay net.

TC Senior and the best quality timothy/orchard grass hay you can find.

I add Amplify for weight gain with no changes in their mind.

Thanks all! I bought a bag of TC Senior today.

Safe Choice is a "cool blend" grain, nothing in there to fire the horse up.

If Safe Choice is not an option, try soaked alfalfa pellets and beetpulp as a mash and feed it with any senior grain. Helps a lot with my greyhound looking TB.
    www.wyevalleyfarm.com
    Home of SMOKE TREE GOLD FEVER Welsh pony stallion and other animals

I have heard great reviews about TC senior but right now my mare is on 6 lbs of Ultium and I am really happy with this product. She is a TBx so I thought the 12% protien/12% fat might make her hot but she is doing beautifully so that might be another product to consider if TC does not work well with your horse.

I faced the same dilemma not that long ago. After trying several things, I decided to keep it simple. She now gets soaked alfalfa cubes and a handful of oats. She's never looked better.

cooked or crushed /bruise barley its very fattening and wont uppset the horse to much as in make him fizzy

soy oil top dressed on safe choice - and not a lot of it. As for the colic protection, let's just say that we've got two years worth of data - for this particular horse - and can link every colic episode to a failure to maintain the soy oil supplement. And, we won't go into why that occurred. Just a different experience shared on the board. Use as you see fit.
    pace, path, balance, impulsion and ??

Don't panic! Ralph Leroy Hill

I hope the TC Senior works for you! You may have to experiment and try different combos of things.

My very hard keeper 13 y/o TB mare is on Purina Strategy Healthy Edge top dressed with Uckele's TriAmino and CocoSoya Oil. I've tried all sorts of feeds, but for her, this combo really works.

She's also dewormed monthly in the warmer months. While I don't go to many shows, many of the horses at my barn travel to multiple shows per month around the midwest. I'm sure they pick up worms from stalls. I know frequency of every month goes against directions, but I've found that it makes a significant difference in this particular mare's body condition. I never had any adverse affects (and I bought her when she was 5). Do I do this or recommend it for every horse? Nope, but for this hard keeper, it seems to make a very positive difference.

Good luck to you!