The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Can cold weather cause hives in horses?

Does anyone have a horse who they know for a fact has developed hives from cold weather?........as in, when the horse was moved from a warm, closed barn to an open run-in stall set up?

I had a customer years ago whose warmblood gelding developed a winter-long case of hives. ALL options were explored (including veterinary diagnostics) and no resolution except warm weather was found. I do remember reading something that said cold can be a factor.
    Athletic Horses. Educated Riders.
    www.Ride-With-Confidence.com

My horse had a major case of hives last week. Hauled him to the vet and she said this seemed to be a "banner year" for hives. She had seen SO many in just a few days. We had a ton of rain this year so Im thinking there must be a lot more pollen in the air than we usually have. (we mow the weeds/grass around his paddock so he cant get into things he shouldnt be eating)

This winter was very rainy and cold. We had snow a week ago. But some of the plants are trying to blossom in spite of the cold temps. So that would be my guess.

We gave my horse injectible benadryl (two doses) and the hives disapeared -so far have not returned.

How cold is it? Do you have snow? My cat is actually allergic to snow (or rather, the moulds that grow on it)

I would GUESS (disclaimer, not a vet) some sort of environmental allergy would be more likely than cold alone. Maybe the cold just is irritating something else?

Good luck - allergies are a pain to figure out!

I don't know about horses, but when I was a kid I would get hives from the cold! Went away when I got older.

I agree with Linda and CarCat I have found it's more often than not allergy related. Something in open run that he has an issue with. To me it's usually seasonal.
    "Don't saw on your horses mouth it's not a piece of wood" ~ GM

Stress or anxiety, new barn or different stable handlers could also be a factor.