The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedMarketplaceDates & Results

Default "Buck" documentary film

Has anyone else had a chance to see Cindy Meehl's documentary film "Buck" about Buck Brannaman? I took the day off yesterday and drove to Durham to watch it at a documenatry film festival. Found it to be a very real and honest portrayal of who and what Buck is, also just a very moving and visually beautiful film.

We get into these so-called natural horsemanship trainwrecks here and it's often clear that many people have not had a chance to watch Buck ride and work. He's not the publicity hound that the marketeers are, he's busy doing the work in the real world. This film is a chance for people to see what he's about in the absence of the opportunity to attend one of his clinics, including watching some really fine examples of what might legitimately be called western dressage.

As an interesting aside, the film festival had "Buck" paired with a short subject film from Italy about a guy who directs massive cranes that move and dissect huge chunks of marble from quarries. This one guy stands on the edge of a truly ginormous piece of rock, and with subtle hand signals, directs the crane operators exactly where to nudge this cut piece of marble that must weigh tons of tons, and they manage to drop it intact onto a bed of rubble that keeps it from shattering. A very interesting and thought-provoking juxtaposition of themes about handling nature with exceptional feel.
    Last edited by monstrpony; Apr. 17, 2011 at 08:44 AM.
    "One person's cowboy is another person's blooming idiot" -- katarine

Spay and neuter. Please.

Have not seen it yet but agree he is the real deal. One of his books of his life story came out a few years ago and made me cry. Not one of the circus clowns.

Haven't see it yet but I am going to a clinic of his this week.
    Justice will only be achieved when those who are not injured by crime feel as indignant as those who are. - King Soloman (970-928 B.C.)

Wonder if it will be available through NetFlix at some point? Wouls love to see it.
    Comprehensive Equestrian Site Planning and Facility Design
    www.lynnlongplanninganddesign.com

Movie will open on June 17th, 50 US locations.

Yes, Buck is the real deal. We worry he might get a bit "popular" after the movie comes out.

http://www.buckthefilm.com/

Very much looking forward to this movie - I know we can rely on coth reviews as soon as it is released. Hope it comes to Canada soon.

I'm sure Buck will handle popularity just fine I can just see him get that tense look on his face when presented with nonsense LOL!!
    The Knotted Pony

Proud and upstanding member of the Snort and Blow Clique.

Agree BB is one of the most elegant and correct riders of ANY discipline I've ever seen. He would not be out of place in any dressage ring in the world.

Amazing horseman. And if
    "The Horse Whisperer" didn't make him spoiled, I'm sure this won't either.

I will be watching for the release of this film but I doubt it will come to my area (out in the hinderlands).

But you never know -- Buck was born in Coeur d'Alene, ID, which is just 35 miles from me, so maybe they will have a special showing or something.

Truly one of the greatest horsemen of our generation....the best of the Dorrence-brothers tradition.

Quote Originally Posted by Kyzteke View Post
    Agree BB is one of the most elegant and correct riders of ANY discipline I've ever seen. He would not be out of place in any dressage ring in the world.

Amazing horseman. And if
    "The Horse Whisperer" didn't make him spoiled, I'm sure this won't either.

I will be watching for the release of this film but I doubt it will come to my area (out in the hinderlands).

But you never know -- Buck was born in Coeur d'Alene, ID, which is just 35 miles from me, so maybe they will have a special showing or something.

Truly one of the greatest horsemen of our generation....the best of the Dorrence-brothers tradition.
    I agree with this assessment of him. Of the 'younger' generation who were strongly influenced by Dorrance, he and perhaps also Bryan Neubert stand out in my mind as the 'real deal'.
    Jeanie
    RIP Sasha, best dog ever, pictured shortly before she died, Death either by euthanasia or natural causes is only the end of the animal inhabiting its body; I believe the spirit lives on.

It looks like they now have the schedule listed on the Buck facebook page listing the showings! I'm already planning a trip to Fairfax VA on June 25th! Woo hoo!
    Cindy

Looks fantastic!

Interesting comment "horses are a mirror to your soul" - and how true!

just do not ever call Buck or his methods, nor TomD or RayH "horse whisperers" or "natural horsemanship."

NH is Parelli. Buck used to go on at lenght in his clinics as to why NH is not natural not nothing. Pat P. once studied with Ray Hunt, but went on on his own, for some good stuff and some bad stuff and excellent marketing (I hate the marketing from day one.)

Buck Brannaman has nothing in common with poorly defined, sloppy, means whatever, "natural horsemanship."

I have it on my waiting list on Netflix, so they do intend to carry it.
    A conclusion is the place where you got tired of thinking. (Steven Wright)

Quote Originally Posted by Rena View Post

Buck Brannaman has nothing in common with poorly defined, sloppy, means whatever, "natural horsemanship."