The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default rhizotomy for nerve damage in lower back?

I know having a bad back isn't *really* a disability, but some days it can sure feel like it. There is no way I'll ever have actual back surgery unless I'm dragged there kicking and screaming, but a few people I know who work in the area of spines and neurology have tossed out the term "rhizotomy" to me as a possible option. I've got a bulging disc and nerve damage. I've Googled the term, and it still sounds scary to me, although the people I know who *perform* rhizotomies claim it's easy and painless, minimally invansive, leaves the patient pain-free, yadda yadda... Has anyone here *had* a rhizotomy or know anyone who has? Some days, I've got to say, the idea of getting myself "nerved" sounds really good...
    Visit the County Island, home of Whiskey the ranch horse: http://countyisland.wordpress.com
    Visit him on Facebook:
    http://www.facebook.com/WhiskeyRanch-Horse

I had radio frequency lesioning (RFL) on 2 nerves in my back (at L2 and L3.) I believe that it is similar to a rhizotomy. (At least according to this book, which I found enormously helpful by the way http://www.amazon.com/Goodbye-Back-P...1339704&sr=1-1)

I had a ruptured disc and a bulging disc which they had identified by an MRI, but the underlying condition was spinal instability caused by spondylolithesis (a slipped vertebra) and scolliosis. Needless to say, I have a lot of stenosis from arthritis as well.

It was a long process in the Pain Managment clinic to identify the nerve branches that had to be lesioned. I went 3-4 times over a period of several months and had depo-medrol epidural injections so they could find out where to lesion the nerves. They did this under an x-ray flouroscope so they could see exactly what they were doing. It was kind of a nuisance because I was not allowed to drive home afterward and I live about 25 miles from the hospital.

At long last they did the RFL. It worked great for about 15-16 months. No pain at all! Then the nerve grew back and it was worse than ever for a while. I have been told that I can have it done again if I want to, but most of my pain comes from arthritis now--the disks have shrunk and aren't really causing the problem. I am managing the pain with ibuprofen and exercise and don't really want to go through the whole process again unless and until there is no alternative. If I couldn't take ibuprofen, I would do it again in a minute.

I hope this helps.
    "Against stupidity the gods themselves contend in vain" ~Friedrich Schiller

I had it done in November.

Went fox hunting a week later, though I was still bruised.

Will not hesitate to have it done again.

PM me if you would like to chat privately.