The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Your favorite girth?

Looking for the ins and outs. What is your favorite girth for the fit, the money and the looks. I want the down and dirty. This has to be right, Frodo deserves the best that I can get for him and I am on a steep budget, so I am deal hunting.
    ~Amy~ TrakehNERD clique
    *Bugs 5/86-3/10 OTTB Mare* RIP lovely Lady, I miss you
    *Frodo '03 Anglo Trakehner Gelding*
    My Facebook

I found a laser girth used at a tack consignment store recently for $25.

http://www.laserequestrian.com/?p=21

It is by far the nicest girth I have ever seen/felt. I just want to lay around and wallow in it .
    Delaware Park Canter Volunteer
    http://www.canterusa.org/

Definitely not cheap, but I love my Prestige Anatomic girth. The leather is lovely, it has nice cushioning and will hopefully last a long time if I take care of it properly! Knowing that I will get many years of use out of good quality tack makes the initial investment a little easier to swallow.

I always keep my eyes on eBay and other classified sites as well- you never know what kind of deal you might find!

Quote Originally Posted by Flap15 View Post
    Definitely not cheap, but I love my Prestige Anatomic girth.
    Yup, me too. My girl is happy as a clam with this girth, no attitude when tacking up, saddle sits super stable, no rubs. And it's pretty!
    "Reite dein Pferd vorwärts und richte es gerade.” Gustav Steinbrecht

I adore the EAS wide belly girth: http://www.eurosaddlery.com/products2.CFM?id=54. Some horses have special considerations that make other girths more suitable, but I really like how soft this girth is, and it has held up beautifully through the years.
    The aids are the legs, the hands, the weight of the rider, the whip, the caress, the voice and the use of extraneous circumstances. ~ General Decarpentry
    www.reflectionsonriding.com

I got a Buccas cotton girth on ebay WITH shipping for a total of 10 dollars. Its great!

I also really like the smart pack fleece girth, 27 dollars. Both don't slip or rub. I personally don't like leather girths, its just a preference. Wintec was allright, just allright, but I like the fleece and cotton varities better, they don't slip as much. I would use one if I HAD to.

side question here: my horse needs an anatomical girth - like the prestige discussed above. Does ANYONE know if it possible to buy one of these that is not leather? I have a preference for synthetic on girths; but will buy a leather one if need be....

I have the Passier all elastic girths that most horses seem to like. Pricey unless you can find a deal.

I also like the Wintec elastic girth and so do a number of horses. Easy to clean but honestly I don't know where they hide the elastic!

I just bought a Classic Equine Soft Touch girth (on clearance for $25 at VTO Saddlery) and used it for the first time today. So far, my horse seems happy with it. And I have a big problem with the saddle slipping forward on her and it didn't during my clinic ride today.
    Last edited by inca; Mar. 4, 2011 at 04:07 PM.
    Triple J Ranch Sporthorses
    www.triplejsporthorse.com
    Member - OMGiH I LOFF my mare(s) clique

Passier elastic girth here as well. The only girth that does not cause girth sores on my mare. I also use a girth sock with it. I have had it now for several years.
    \"Have a heart that never hardens, a temper that never tires, and a touch that never hurts.\" Charles Dickens

Another vote for Passier elastic girth. I think the horse breaths better.

Ovation Airform dressage girth, no leather to clean, just a sponge, cheap. My mare loves it.
    "You gave your life to become the person you are right now. Was it worth it?" Richard Bach

Scheelse 8" Wide Contoured Dressage Girth

I have one and love it, I bought it barely used off Craigslist for half price... you can find them for good deals if you put about 10 minutes into the internet search.
    Welcome to my dressage world http://www.juliefranzen.blogspot.com/

Red Barn. It is soft and buttery.

I love the cloth/fleece equalizer girths that Dover sells for about $30. Never had a single rub with them ever and the elastic on both sides makes it easier to tighten up on a girthy horse without irritating them. Also makes it easier to tighten while mounted. Haven't had any problems with slipping, though I can imagine how a more structured girth might be desirable on horses that conformationally are prone to that. I also like that the fleece part comes up above the roller buckles so you don't see the bare billets hanging down between the flap and the top of the girth... just my aesthetic preference, though.

I really like the Thorowgood Aeroform girth, much better than Wintec types in my experience.

Default Neoprene!

http://www.doversaddlery.com/ovation...02193/cn/4674/

For the portly arab this girth works wonders. I LOVE Neoprene girths, wash them with the hose and your done! They don't chafe, travel or pinch either and they are usually less than $50.
    Adoring fan of A Fine Romance
    Originally Posted by alicen:
    What serious breeder would think that a horse at that performance level is push button? Even so, that's still a lot of buttons to push.

Quote Originally Posted by Mosey_2003 View Post
    I really like the Thorowgood Aeroform girth, much better than Wintec types in my experience.

Yes, I have both and prefer the Thorowgood.

I LOVE these anatomical girths, great quality leather and really inexpensive too! Only $89
    Its the only girth that doesn't gall my pony.
    http://shop.ebay.com/?_from=R40&_trk...All-Categories