The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Web site designer

Looking for a really talented and creative equine web site designer. I would like a template made as I can do most of the content myself, but I will need some help for some extra things. Please PM me if you fit the bit.

Take a look at Wordpress.org as a CMS. I've used it for several websites. It's easy to use, the plug ins are extensive and there are a ton of templates out there that can be customized. I'm not talking about the free blogging platform, but the platform. I run mine using GoDaddy as a host and haven't had any problems.

It's a piece of cake to manage the content, too.
    Equine Ink - My soapbox for equestrian writings & reviews.
    EquestrianHow2 - Operating instructions for your horse.

Ditto Bogie, Both on the wordpress and GoDaddy.I had initially gone with GoDaddy's "website tonight" WYSIWYG editor and it worked great. When DH came into the picture he had fits about websight tonight's code, esp as it related to SEO, so we investigated wordpress because of its ease of updating. Thumbs up to both wordpress and GoDaddy!

Good luck and have fun with it!
    Real Horses. Real Riders. Real Results! www.wvhorsetrainer.com

www.wix.com is super easy too - drag and drop dummy style flash websites.

www.wix.com is also good.

Wordpress offers more flexibility, so it depends on what you want to do.

I built www.tackguru.com in Wordpress using an off the shelf review module (not free, but not too $$) a free membership module and a module that allows you to build forms. I made a simple website for our hunt club using all free components: www.oldnorthbridgehounds.org.

I've also worked in Drupal and I finally jettisoned it in favor of Wordpress because it's easier for my writer's brain to wrap around.

There are a lot of nice templates, too. If you're not familiar with this type of work, buying one might be a better choice than using a free template because you typically get good technical support from the companies who do this as a business.

Good luck!
    Equine Ink - My soapbox for equestrian writings & reviews.
    EquestrianHow2 - Operating instructions for your horse.

Perhaps more oomph than you're looking for, but the folks who designed both my website and my farm's website do an AMAZING job, and create an idiot-simple WYSIWYG editor to keep content up-to-date. www.studioup.com is them, www.laurensprieser.com and www.spriesersporthorse.com are me.

You should try Tracy Dopko at Daventry Web Productions <info@daventrywebproductions.com>, she is talented, easy to work with and very reasonable.
    www.Somermistfarm.com
    Hunter Ponies & Quality GSDs
    www.UnleashedK9.net

Bits and Bytes Farm also has a web design company. As an added side benefit, some of the profits are used to help support OTTB retraining. Side note...they have some outstanding horses!
    Join the Clinton 2016 campaign...Hillary For America. https://www.hillaryclinton.com/

Thanks for all the replies, but I do need professional help as I need a commercial web site with merchandising and form construction that I do not know how to do. I will check out your recommended people.

I already use Contribute for content as I can upload and change things around quite easily with it.

Quote Originally Posted by rodawn View Post
    Thanks for all the replies, but I do need professional help as I need a commercial web site with merchandising and form construction that I do not know how to do. I will check out your recommended people.

I already use Contribute for content as I can upload and change things around quite easily with it.
    Chris Tolar (Ladybug Hill) http://ladybughillfarm.com/webpagedesign.htm and Liz Hall - Silverwood Farm http://www.lizardgraphics.com (pintofoal) (COTH posters) do great work.

Jennifer Joyce in Lexington, KY does great work.

Her main page with links to her websites is:

http://3-dayeventing.com/

Her graphic design page:

http://3-dayeventing.com/jenjoyce/home.htm

She does great work and she's an event rider/trainer herself.