The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

This whole situation with the small animal rescue at Lamar Dixon has ticked me off to the very limit of my patience. Apparently both organizations are fighting for control and subsequently no one is in charge. The Equine Unit is being run byt the State Veterniarian's office and LSU...we are SO glad that the ASPCA and/or Humane Society are not involved with the horses...what a fiasco.

The pictures I am going to refer you to shows a daily occurance....these organizations back a large box truck up to the dumpster in front of Barn 4 and start throwing away BRAND NEW and hardly used dog crates into the dumpster. Apparently they would rather throw them away and open new ones than clean the ones they have. They have been bringing in tractor trailer loads of new crates every day. Apparently there is no end to the supply. I am sure that many people donated money and/or goods for small animal relief. I think the waste is attrocious.

They do the same with excess bags of dog food too. One day they were throwing away entire pallets of 40 lb. bags of dog food because they were afraid that if it rained it might get wet. I guess it was too much trouble to try to store it inside somewhere.

Anyway....if you follow my webshots link and click on the Katrina folder you will see pictures of them throwing the new crates in the dumpster. It is downright sinfull.

Elizabeth
    Member of the OTTB Clique, Re-Riders Clique and the Thread Killer Clique.

http://community.webshots.com/user/esimison

This whole situation with the small animal rescue at Lamar Dixon has ticked me off to the very limit of my patience. Apparently both organizations are fighting for control and subsequently no one is in charge. The Equine Unit is being run byt the State Veterniarian's office and LSU...we are SO glad that the ASPCA and/or Humane Society are not involved with the horses...what a fiasco.

The pictures I am going to refer you to shows a daily occurance....these organizations back a large box truck up to the dumpster in front of Barn 4 and start throwing away BRAND NEW and hardly used dog crates into the dumpster. Apparently they would rather throw them away and open new ones than clean the ones they have. They have been bringing in tractor trailer loads of new crates every day. Apparently there is no end to the supply. I am sure that many people donated money and/or goods for small animal relief. I think the waste is attrocious.

They do the same with excess bags of dog food too. One day they were throwing away entire pallets of 40 lb. bags of dog food because they were afraid that if it rained it might get wet. I guess it was too much trouble to try to store it inside somewhere.

Anyway....if you follow my webshots link and click on the Katrina folder you will see pictures of them throwing the new crates in the dumpster. It is downright sinfull.

Elizabeth
    Member of the OTTB Clique, Re-Riders Clique and the Thread Killer Clique.

http://community.webshots.com/user/esimison

Maybe it's time that someone from LSU went over
    and knocked heads together!

That is so unbelievable--any of these folks ever price these crates? They are not that hard to stack and store and could be offered to folks
    reclaiming animals, to other humane societies.
    I foster cats/kittens for our little local
    humane society and those are at a premium. Am having to borrow at least one large dog crate to move the "summer" house cat and kittens into the garage for all the rain Rita is supposed to bring our area. Our group would love to have
    a supply of these for transporting animals from animal control facilities or to the vets--our critters are all kept in foster homes.

You all should start raiding the dumpster and
    stacking them in empty stalls. Surely someone at LSU could find places that are desperate for them. Like the Texas coast very soon.

And again, thanks for all your efforts with the horses!

http://community.webshots.com/user/luvmihorse
    ~~Proud member of the Mighty Thoroughbred Clique~~

I know I'll get flamed for saying this, but that is standard practice with the big groups like HSUS and such.

I'm glad that you are helping take care of the horses and I'm serious when I say that I wish you were in charge of the next disaster. Which sounds like it's going to be in Texas. And another plea will go out for food and crates...

Your hard earned donations to charity at work, folks.

Why not contact the Today show and ask them to bring back Wayne to explain this?
    Brothers and sisters, I bid you beware
    Of giving your heart to a dog to tear.
    -Rudyard Kipling

Oh, yeah, those folks working to take care of the horses have lots of spare time to be pulling crates out of the trash ... and lots of empty stalls to store them in, no doubt. Hello--pet crates are plastic, they can stay out in the rain when not in use. Why should the vet school have to pick up after the people who are supposed to be looking after the small animals?

I've been told to ask people to lend/donate crates for a pet refugee transport. It's not going to do my credibility any good when word gets out that perfectly usable crates are going in the dumpster. How about just storing them so that when we come to pick up a load of refugees to take to distant states, so that they'll have a better chance of finding a new adoptive home, that we don't have to beg and borrow from our friends and neighbors. Wouldn't a new crate be a nice thing to give to someone who's taking one of these animals in, if there's such an excess? And, yes--what about Texas? Or at least, send them back to the donor so the price on my next crate doesn't go up??

This is SO absurd!

You know who's going to suffer out of all this? The animals, of course. Hope all the animals in Texas have been evacuated (yeah, right) because there aren't going to be many donation $$$ left to help them out after Rita hits.
    "One person's cowboy is another person's blooming idiot" -- katarine

Spay and neuter. Please.

Seems to me, this would be the time to invite someone from the media.
    If this gets to the general public, these entities would be under enough fire to rethink their actions, I would hope.

\"Horses lend us the wings we lack\"

That's why my money went to LSU
    I wasn't always a Smurf
    Penmerryl's Sophie RIDSH
    "I ain't as good as I once was but I'm as good once as I ever was"
    The ignore list is my friend. It takes 2 to argue.

This is absolutely infuriating. How many rescue groups could put those to good use after they were cleaned?
    Its absolutely outrageous!

Disgusting, and that makes complete and utter sense to the idjits in charge?
    No consideration that someone else could use what they no longer want.

The mass media won't touch it -- political correctness, you know! http://chronicleforums.com/groupee_c...s/icon_mad.gif
    “There are two ways to conquer and enslave a nation. One is by the sword. The other is by debt.”
    John Adams

OLTB -

Are you sure those men are from HSUS? I ask not to insult you, but becuase I donated a large amount of $ to the HSUS and if this is indeed the case, I will be placing a call, writing a letter, with your pictures attached and everything else I can think of.

I would not be so sure the media would not touch this. I think they would, and they should. Elizabeth, do you have any media contacts. Does anyone here?

I'd like to see this hit the AP wires for everyone to view. BS for the "politically correct" argument. This is outrageous.

Nancy

If I wanted people to find out about it I'd post it on another blog. Huffington Post maybe or Craig's List. There will be stories about the waste and abuse of donation dollars across the board. Red Cross volunteers have been quoted on TV and in articles about what they've seen recently.

Give em hell Old Lady!

PS--Is this HSUS doing this? Do you know exactly who it is? That's very important when you contact the media or post it someplace else.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~:<~
    \"See, in my line of work you got to keep repeating things over and over and over again for the truth to sink in, to kind of catapult the propaganda.\"—George W. Bush

PA, where the State motto is: "If it makes sense, we don't do it!".

I, too, feel that this is an outrage!!!! http://chronicleforums.com/groupee_c...s/icon_mad.gif Can't anything to be done to stop this? I'm in favor of an expose!!!! I think the media would love to jump on this one!

I use crates--I clean them, it's not that hard! I'm sure there are volunteers that would do that if someone just asked them! I understand that cleaning products are in short supply, but why not ask someone to help you out with that? There must be some companies out there that would be willing to donate what they need!!!!

Somehow I knew before I opened your thread OLOATB that this was going to be about the bickering these two factions and their wasteful ways..... http://chronicleforums.com/images/cu...ilies/sigh.gif Must have gotten that impression of them from something I've read before in the press.... http://chronicleforums.com/groupee_c.../icon_wink.gif http://chronicleforums.com/images/cu...milies/yes.gif http://chronicleforums.com/images/cu...ilies/uhoh.gif It just seemed to me that the small animal rescues were mass chaos and terribly fragmented. Someone (FEMA) should have been in charge--it's supposed to be FEMA's job to organize things! Heck, I saw a guy interviewed on TV who just hopped in his car and went down to rescue animals on his own--how bad is that when individuals feel they need to help out on their own? This is America and when a disaster strikes no one can even organize a trip to the bathroom!? http://chronicleforums.com/groupee_c...n_confused.gif

Something should be done about this! Those crates are not inexpensive and could be given to people who plan to return to New Orleans so they can be more prepared in the future!!!!! What is the matter with those people???? http://chronicleforums.com/groupee_c...s/icon_eek.gif
    "Good gardening is very simple, really. You just have to learn to think like a plant." ~Barbara Damrosch~

I have a good media contact but I need to know the facts of exactly who is responsible for dumping the donated goods. I don't want to lay blame on the ASPCA for instance, if it's the HSUS.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~:<~
    \"See, in my line of work you got to keep repeating things over and over and over again for the truth to sink in, to kind of catapult the propaganda.\"—George W. Bush

I wrote to the HSUS demandng an explanation. I sent them a donation. To me throwing these items out is like throwing out my dollars. I sure hope someone writes back.

Nancy

This is bull. I sent in money, and you know, I could have used that money to buy some more cat carriers, like the ones that they are throwing away.

A hurricane is about to hit Texas and those carriers could be used there - how about setting up shelters there BEFORE the storm hits to receive and transport animals immediately?????? Apparantly animals can be taken to shelters IF THEY HAVE A CARRIER. How many animals will suffer and die because carriers are in a dump in Louisiana?

This isn't rocket science - it's called PLANNING. Hurricanes give plenty of warning before they hit and these groups should be spending their millions more wisely instead of spouting off on the Today show.

This is why I give my money only to local charities - they are more accountable.
    Brothers and sisters, I bid you beware
    Of giving your heart to a dog to tear.
    -Rudyard Kipling

When I first read this, I was just as appalled and infuriated.

However, re-reading this thread brought up a question for me.

Cleaning those at the very least requires *NON* contaminated water. I was under the impression that clean water was in short supply in the area. Could this perhaps be the cause of the waste?

It's true that even if this is the case, that it could have been handled *SO* much better than just throwing them away; they could have been put somewhere to be cleaned later and distributed to animal shelters or people who need them, etc.
    Success is not the result of spontaneous combustion; you must set yourself on fire