The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results
 
Results 1 to 14 of 14
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jul. 16, 2008
    Location
    Maryland
    Posts
    1,346

    Default USEF amateur card - do you have to be a member?

    I remember someone mentioning that you can get an amateur card through the USEF without becoming a member. Is that true?



  2. #2
    Join Date
    Oct. 4, 2008
    Posts
    745

    Default

    I am pretty sure you have to be a member to recieve an amatuer card from USEF. However, you may be an amater without being a member of any organization.



  3. #3
    Join Date
    Feb. 3, 2000
    Location
    Nokesville, VA
    Posts
    35,320

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Duckz View Post
    I remember someone mentioning that you can get an amateur card through the USEF without becoming a member. Is that true?
    Yes, but it costs $30. So you are probably better off just joining.
    GR1307 Amateur Certification.
    1. Every person who has reached his/her 18th birthday and competes in classes for
    amateurs under Federation rules must possess current amateur certification issued by the
    Federation. This certification must be available for inspection or the competitor must have
    lodged with the competition secretary, at least one hour prior to such class, an application
    for such certification provided by the Federation. Forms may be obtained from the
    Federation. Certification will be issued only on receipt of the application properly signed and
    is revocable at any time for cause. Any person who has not reached his/her 18th birthday is
    an amateur and does not require amateur certification.
    ...

    3. There is no fee for amateur certification for Senior Active or Life Members. An annual
    fee of $30
    will be charged for an amateur card or amateur certification for an individual who
    is not a member of The Federation or Equine Canada. Such certification will expire on
    November 30th.
    Janet

    chief feeder and mucker for Music, Spy, Belle and Tiara. Someone else is now feeding and mucking for Chief and Brain (both foxhunting now).



  4. #4
    Join Date
    Sep. 19, 2002
    Location
    recent FL transplant from IL
    Posts
    7,174

    Default

    So you would still have to pay the non-member fees at the shows, right?

    May I ask why one would want a ammy card without being a member (op--this isn't directed at you, just merely curious)?
    "I'm not crazy...my mother had me tested"



  5. #5
    Join Date
    Apr. 26, 2006
    Location
    Madison, Wisconsin
    Posts
    4,524

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Giddy-up View Post
    May I ask why one would want a ammy card without being a member (op--this isn't directed at you, just merely curious)?
    Ditto. Also curious.
    Quote Originally Posted by tidy rabbit View Post
    Oh, well, clearly you're not thoroughly indoctrinated to COTH yet, because finger pointing and drawing conclusions are the cornerstones of this great online community.



  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jul. 22, 2008
    Posts
    1,391

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Giddy-up View Post
    So you would still have to pay the non-member fees at the shows, right?

    May I ask why one would want a ammy card without being a member (op--this isn't directed at you, just merely curious)?
    Because in order to show in our state association rated adult hunters or medal classes you need a USEF ammy card.



  7. #7
    Join Date
    Apr. 26, 2006
    Location
    Madison, Wisconsin
    Posts
    4,524

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by EAY View Post
    Because in order to show in our state association rated adult hunters or medal classes you need a USEF ammy card.
    By "rated" do you mean "recognized by the state association?"
    Quote Originally Posted by tidy rabbit View Post
    Oh, well, clearly you're not thoroughly indoctrinated to COTH yet, because finger pointing and drawing conclusions are the cornerstones of this great online community.



  8. #8
    Join Date
    Jul. 22, 2008
    Posts
    1,391

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ExJumper View Post
    By "rated" do you mean "recognized by the state association?"
    The MHSA has been awarding shows ABC ratings since 1957. I think their "A" shows are also USEF A shows, while the B and C shows are not necessarily USEF recognized. But I could be wrong



  9. #9
    Join Date
    Mar. 28, 2001
    Location
    Aiken, SC
    Posts
    2,689

    Default

    There are quite a few USEF proposals to do away with allowing exhibitors to compete as non members.
    Looks like most of the groups did not approve but if passed not sure what would happen to non member ammie vertification.
    Probably would no longer exist.



  10. #10
    Join Date
    Feb. 3, 2000
    Location
    Nokesville, VA
    Posts
    35,320

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by PineTreeFarm View Post
    There are quite a few USEF proposals to do away with allowing exhibitors to compete as non members.
    Looks like most of the groups did not approve but if passed not sure what would happen to non member ammie vertification.
    Probably would no longer exist.
    Yes, one of the proposed rule changes explicitly eliminates it.
    Janet

    chief feeder and mucker for Music, Spy, Belle and Tiara. Someone else is now feeding and mucking for Chief and Brain (both foxhunting now).



  11. #11
    Join Date
    Jul. 16, 2008
    Location
    Maryland
    Posts
    1,346

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by EAY View Post
    Because in order to show in our state association rated adult hunters or medal classes you need a USEF ammy card.
    Yes, this, thanks My mom is moving up to the Pre-Adult Hunter division this year at one of the local series. MHSA requires a USEF amateur card in order to compete in any amateur division. There is zero chance that she'll compete at a USEF rated show this year, so no reason to spend $55 when she can get what she needs for $30.



  12. #12
    Join Date
    Jul. 16, 2008
    Location
    Maryland
    Posts
    1,346

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Janet View Post
    Yes, but it costs $30.
    Thank you! I knew I heard that somewhere.



  13. #13
    Join Date
    Sep. 19, 2002
    Location
    recent FL transplant from IL
    Posts
    7,174

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by EAY View Post
    Because in order to show in our state association rated adult hunters or medal classes you need a USEF ammy card.
    Interesting. So the state association shows are not USEF rated then so you don't have to pay USEF non-member fees also? Do riders at your unrated shows also cross over to rated USEF shows? I guess what I am getting at is having just an ammy verification card (not USEF membership) the norm or the exception? I ask only cause I am a board member for our local un-rated circuit & I like hearing how other associations are organized.
    "I'm not crazy...my mother had me tested"



  14. #14
    Join Date
    Jul. 22, 2008
    Posts
    1,391

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Giddy-up View Post
    Interesting. So the state association shows are not USEF rated then so you don't have to pay USEF non-member fees also? Do riders at your unrated shows also cross over to rated USEF shows? I guess what I am getting at is having just an ammy verification card (not USEF membership) the norm or the exception? I ask only cause I am a board member for our local un-rated circuit & I like hearing how other associations are organized.
    I'd say that most people who are going for points with the MHSA stick to USEF shows but many of the riders at the MHSA "C" shows also go to the occasional USEF rated show.

    The MHSA offers year-end awards for some divisions that are only offered at USEF shows (e.g. pony hunters, juniors, A/Os, green and working hunters) but also for divisions that are offered at MHSA rated "C" shows (e.g. pre-children's/adults, children's and adults hunters, pony and horse pleasure, short stirrup). They also have a TB hunter division, which as far as I know you only see at USEF recognized shows, and they have awards for jumpers and hunter breeding.

    Most MHSA rated shows are also USEF recognized, so I would venture to guess that just getting the ammy verification card is the exception rather than the norm. Plus the adult medal final is held at a USEF show so if you are trying to qualify for that it would make sense to be a USEF member.



Similar Threads

  1. USEF/USHJA Non-member fee?
    By Nottingham in forum Hunter/Jumper
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: Mar. 1, 2012, 01:59 PM
  2. USEF card questions
    By PuraVidaEventing in forum Eventing
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: Oct. 15, 2011, 10:37 PM
  3. POLL: Breeders, USEF Member?
    By baywithchrome2 in forum Sport Horse Breeding
    Replies: 18
    Last Post: Mar. 16, 2011, 11:09 PM
  4. Are you a USEF member? (Spinoff of NJR thread)
    By War Admiral in forum Hunter/Jumper
    Replies: 32
    Last Post: Jul. 29, 2010, 09:58 AM
  5. Replies: 42
    Last Post: Jul. 20, 2010, 11:30 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •