The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Places to School XC in Ocala or between Ocala and Tampa besides FHP??

I'm looking for a place to school xc. I know the horse park has schooling days but unfortunately they are only on wednesdays a day I have class Horse has done prelim and hopefully just needs to refresh memory. Also have green baby.
    I have heard of longwood but not sure if that is accessible without taking a lesson. I love lessons but if you know you
    need to work on a specific fence/issue often trainer will give
    you a general lesson which isn't much help.
    MUST HAVE WATER AS HORSE STILL SUSPECT OF IT.
    Am very familiar with Aiken area, but not Ocala.
    Horse is in Tampa so Ocala area and south please.
    Thanks.

Near Tampa, try Fannin Hill Farm, up in Brooksville. She will charge you a surcharge to fill the water though.

The course is older but has great "terrain." They run several schooling horse trials there as well. Jumps there max out at novice or training level.

The other suggestion, a little farther but definitely worth the drive is Rocking Horse. with a very complete (thru advanced) course. RH runs several recognized and unrecognized horse shows every year, but is open pretty much every day for schooling.

Just FYI, Rocking Horse is $40 per horse. Fannin Hill is $35 per horse PLUS $35 to fill the water jump, so unless you've got a large group going, Rocking Horse will cost you less.

many trainers in the area have permission to school Longwood, but it is "closed to the public"

Also, several in the area have some xc fences on their properties if you are actually taking a lesson

The Hollings (Ocala area) used to have a nice - not huge but everything you need - schooling field. Might be worth calling them and seeing if you could set up a lesson.

You can try Misty Morning Hounds www.mistymorninghounds.com
    just call ahead to schedule 352 375 0800 right now the only days the facility might not be available is Wednesday and/or saturday if we are hunting
    "Perhaps the final test of anybody's love of dogs is their willingness to permit them to make a camping ground of the bed" -Henry T. Merwin