The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Quote Originally Posted by Mudroom View Post
    Many great comments, thanks. Do any of you find that you really miss the "escape" door on the curb side? Is it a pain to have to drop the ramp to get access to the horses from that side?
    I don't miss that, since usually, I am driving alone, and so if I want to check on them, I just go back to the trailer and open the human door on the driver's side.
    save lives...spay/neuter/geld

I'll throw my hat into the ring of another 2+1 trailer lover!! I drove 12 hours to Florida to pick up my used Hawk 2+1 about 4 years ago. It was a great deal so i jumped right on it.

Mine has a straight wall in the dressing room with door that leads into the +1 area. I do not have grills between the straight stalls and the +1 area, just chest bars. I have hauled 3 horses in there a few times with my pony in the front area with no problems...and my mare is a biter! I just hang all the hay bags with their heads facing each other.

My friend and I haul pretty much every weekend to a lesson or horse show so my trailer gets used A LOT. We used the +1 area all the time for tacking up, especially if the weather sucks. If we are at a show and the horse must hand out a bit we can open the side ramp, driver side escape door and windows and it stays comfortable in there. When I have to haul alone it is super easy to get horses on/ off due to all the configurations.

My only problem is I want to add a "weekender" package to the dressing room and can't b/c of some damage that was done to the roof before I bought it. The girl I bought it from said a heavy tree branch fell on the roof during a hurricane, but my trailer guy thinks she may actually have rolled the trailer!!! It causes no issues with the trailer, just cosmetic.

Although...I have considered selling it to purchase a new Hawk 2+1 that I can have a weekender package installed...

I don't think I will ever buy another configuration and don't find it too heavy (I have a F250) nor difficult to maneuver.

Just a suggestion for hauling 3 horses on a smaller budget & with less weight: a stock trailer. A typical configuration has a big divider that makes it into two box stalls. The one I use is a 16' trailer divided slightly larger in the back area than the front. I just hauled 2 ponies and a big warmblood in it last week without problem. You can find stock trailers in bumperpull or gooseneck, plain or with tack room.

I don't find mangers very useful in any trailer. Hang hay bags instead.

Quote Originally Posted by titan View Post
    Can you tell me which manufacturers have straight wall dressing rooms versus slant walls? I think Hawk & Exiss only have slant walls and 4-star, Adams, & Merhow are straight. Any more information is greatly apreciated.
    Quote Originally Posted by titan View Post
    Which brand makes you so happy???? Thanks.
    Many great comments, thanks. Do any of you find that you really miss the "escape" door on the curb side? Is it a pain to have to drop the ramp to get access to the horses from that side?
    Eby!!! love it! rear and side ramp, straight wall dressing room, walk thru, curb side entry (main reason I went with Eby).

Finally...back in civilization, more or less

Mine has an escape door opposite the side ramp. Opens like a regular door OR you can drop the top section (window) which is lovely when you are working off the trailer on a warmer day.

I also don't have to drop the ramp to get into the horse compartment from the ramp side; I have a bulkhead door to the horse section from the dressing room on that side.
    We move pretty fast for some rabid garden snails.
    -PaulaEdwina

Default Love the 2+1

Put me in the enabler camp! My family has an 11 year old Equispirit 2+1. We actually bought the first Equispirit 2+1 sold in Michigan, and the company owner bent over to make it meet my mom's specifications!

After 11 years of moderate-heavy use, our trailer is still in great working condition, although is starting to show its age cosmetically. The brakes lasted 10 years (heavy duty-the trailer/semi guy who replaced them was impressed by the level of brake used), the floor is sound as can be, and mechanically there are no issues. My mom and I will actually be hauling 2 17++ WBs out to Maryland for 3 intensive training weeks next month as we have before. Its been super reliable on long hauls.

We use the slant for a horse occasionally. It's meant for a <17hh horse, which most of ours aren't... However, it's been even more useful for show stuff/hay and for the difficult hauler (having the front ramp is awesome!).

We have loved it so much we will be returning to Equispirit in the next year or 2 (once the truck is payed off) to buy a brand-new replacement! The only additional option we'll probably go for is a hydraulic jack

Some picture from 2009-2011 time frame:

Side view
    http://i62.photobucket.com/albums/h1...8/trailer2.jpg

Ramp side
    http://i62.photobucket.com/albums/h1...8/trailer1.jpg

slant in use
    http://i62.photobucket.com/albums/h1...aritrailer.jpg

17.1hh mare (black one) and 17.3hh+ gelding (chestnut) inside
    http://i62.photobucket.com/albums/h1...8088/0_5-1.jpg

http://i62.photobucket.com/albums/h1...8088/0_4-1.jpg

We have been casually shopping for a 2+1 for a while now. They are hard to find. We may have to bite the bullet this year and just trade in our 3h slant for a new one...

I think the driving folks got me sold on this configuration...

Haven't read replies here,but want to say we have been very happy with an Adams. Very reasonably priced and easy to work with. We added some length to the front "stall",a rear ramp and doors,rubber bumpers at the top of the ramp doors,walk through door from horse section to dressing room,outside water tank,etc,etc and it was still very very reasonably priced.

Another big thumbs up for the 2+1! We have a Sundowner 2+1 with all the bells and whistles. LOVE IT!!!

Quote Originally Posted by WinterSpringJr View Post
    Put me in the enabler camp! My family has an 11 year old Equispirit 2+1. We actually bought the first Equispirit 2+1 sold in Michigan, and the company owner bent over to make it meet my mom's specifications!

After 11 years of moderate-heavy use, our trailer is still in great working condition, although is starting to show its age cosmetically. The brakes lasted 10 years (heavy duty-the trailer/semi guy who replaced them was impressed by the level of brake used), the floor is sound as can be, and mechanically there are no issues. My mom and I will actually be hauling 2 17++ WBs out to Maryland for 3 intensive training weeks next month as we have before. Its been super reliable on long hauls.

We use the slant for a horse occasionally. It's meant for a <17hh horse, which most of ours aren't... However, it's been even more useful for show stuff/hay and for the difficult hauler (having the front ramp is awesome!).

We have loved it so much we will be returning to Equispirit in the next year or 2 (once the truck is payed off) to buy a brand-new replacement! The only additional option we'll probably go for is a hydraulic jack

Some picture from 2009-2011 time frame:

Side view
    http://i62.photobucket.com/albums/h1...8/trailer2.jpg

Ramp side
    http://i62.photobucket.com/albums/h1...8/trailer1.jpg

slant in use
    http://i62.photobucket.com/albums/h1...aritrailer.jpg

17.1hh mare (black one) and 17.3hh+ gelding (chestnut) inside
    http://i62.photobucket.com/albums/h1...8088/0_5-1.jpg

http://i62.photobucket.com/albums/h1...8088/0_4-1.jpg
    That's a beaut! You'll have no trouble selling it privately or trading it in. Say "Hi" to Tom from me.
    <>< Sorrow Looks Back. Worry Looks Around. Faith Looks Up! -- Being negative only makes a difficult journey more difficult. You may be given a cactus, but you don't have to sit on it.

I have a 2012 Adam 2+1. Love love love it! Has a 9 foot box in front of the stalls, stud doors on both stalls, 5 foot dressing room, water tank, electric jack, fans, walk through door to box stall, drop down windows on every horse area, added a window from dressing room to horse area and the best WERM flooring, no more mats! Still was under 27k. Picked it up at the factory, family owned and operated and very proud of their trailers. Worked with me and installed the gooseneck hitch right there and added clothes racks, trays and more hooks while I waited and gave us a tour of the factory!

Hello Simple Simon,

You were nice enough to take the time to post your thoughts and pictures. Thank you! I too am considering purchasing a 2 + 1 trailer and wanted to ask you about the doors either side of the two front loaded horses. In most trailers one sees just a window. I see that you elected to get the doors, which gives you access to the horses head. Are you pleased that you included the two doors vs. the windows? I have wondered whether that makes sense in case you need to water the horses on a longer ride. It seems like the doors would afford easy access without having to enter the "box" in front. I also see that you made the trailer wider than the standard 7' width. There is a little bump out in the interior to accommodate the wheel wells. Is this an issue?

Quote Originally Posted by annmcm View Post
    Hello Simple Simon,

You were nice enough to take the time to post your thoughts and pictures. Thank you! I too am considering purchasing a 2 + 1 trailer and wanted to ask you about the doors either side of the two front loaded horses. In most trailers one sees just a window. I see that you elected to get the doors, which gives you access to the horses head. Are you pleased that you included the two doors vs. the windows? I have wondered whether that makes sense in case you need to water the horses on a longer ride. It seems like the doors would afford easy access without having to enter the "box" in front. I also see that you made the trailer wider than the standard 7' width. There is a little bump out in the interior to accommodate the wheel wells. Is this an issue?
    Hi annmcm, yes - I do like the two doors at the heads of the straight load horses. Most of my hauls are longer in nature and it is nice to be able to stop and offer water to each one of the horses. Also, I often use the box stall area as a mid-tack and this allows me to heap all sorts of stuff in there and still have access to the rear-most horses. One note of caution on the doors - I'd suggest having a protector for the interior door handles. My previous trailer had that and unfortunately this one does not. One horse has managed to lock the door periodically and he has broken the surround of the handle. It has only been the one horse but I do see how this can happen easily and I've been looking for something to put over the handles but without success thus far. On the width of the trailer, the standard with was 6'8" and I bumped it out to 7' (Mr. Special who does the trick with the door handles also gets nervous about entering what he considers to be narrow spaces). There is a small bump on the interior wall - most of which is under their head and neck. It has not been a problem at all. Best of luck with your future purchase. All these years later, I'm still very happy with my trailer!