The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default What's a normal growth spurt for a 2008 gelding? 2" in 8 weeks seems a lot!

What kind of growth pattern do you guys expect in a coming three year old? I was praying my new horse (measured 15.3 at the vet early nov.) would make it to 16.1 or even 16.2. We were back at the vet today and my vet commented on what a big horse he was going to be. I was like... whaat? Haha! Anyways he measured today at just a touch over 16.1, same stick, same ground, recently trimmed. I knew he had a growth spurt (he is currently butt high where he wasn't 2 months ago).

Isn't it about time to stop having "butt high" growth spurts?? I don't want him to get stuck like that !

I commented to my vet that his stifle (albeit previously quite straight) seemed to have really straighten out! I'm not sure how that affects him as a hunter or jumper prospect, but I was hoping to do hunter breeding in hand with him this year for fun and the experience. My vet feels he is a stretched a bit 'up' right now since they grow in rectangles and not squares. So, he feels there is hope he'll not necessarily finish out so straight. My vet is much more of an optimist than I am

And we weighed him. I was shocked the little puny guy came in at over 1100! I wouldn't have even thought he could be over 900.

Here's a quick picture I took of him to record another awkward growth spurt

http://pets.webshots.com/photo/27758...06566483fesnfB

You can send his horrific self to my house when you get tired of those crazy growth spurts
    "Kindness is free" ~ Eurofoal
    ---
    The CoTH CYA - please consult w/your veterinarian under any and all circumstances.

When they are butt high, the hind leg always looks straighter. Once they level out some, you will be able to see what his hind leg really looks like.

I don't know that your horse is going to be all that big. My coming two year olds are 15.2-16 hands. It kind of depends on their growth curve.

they are all different.
    My coming 4 YO: last year at coming 3 he grew 2" in March/was 15.3H when he left for the trainers in April. He is still 15.3H now 10 months later!! Others keep growing evenly. Ya never know. He string tests at 16.1 so I am still waiting for my other 2 " LOL! His brother (now 5) was a slow and steady grower and a hair under 16.1H.

My 2008 filly (will be 3 in April) is crazy butt high right now too. She's 15.3 at the wither, 16.1 behind.

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fb...460857.9107775

Quote Originally Posted by Callaway View Post
    When they are butt high, the hind leg always looks straighter. Once they level out some, you will be able to see what his hind leg really looks like.
    That's good to know; it makes sense! I think the "big horse" comment from my vet came from me being in a western dominated area where anything over 15.2 is large and 16.2 is BIG

Quote Originally Posted by luvmydutch View Post
    My 2008 filly (will be 3 in April) is crazy butt high right now too. She's 15.3 at the wither, 16.1 behind.

Nice filly! She is quite butt high! Is that a recent growth spurt for her?

One of my 2008 models is quite butt high right now as well..... I think it's pretty typical for them to go through another growth spurt going into their 3rd year. Just wait until the grass comes in again - your youngster will really start to blossom!
    Siegi Belz
    www.stalleuropa.com
    2007 KWPN-NA Breeder of the Year
    Dutch Warmbloods Made in the U. S. A.

Thanks flyracing . It started around Thanksgiving, and her butt just keeps going up! I'm really hopingi her front end catches up before she goes to the trainer in March!
    Here she was at the beginning of October looking less strange haha