The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Anyone else coming off a surgery/severe injury and going nuts in the house???

I had a total hip replacement end of November and it is soooo hard to sit around waiting to get back to my work life and my horse life. I am following DRs orders,yep,I am.
    Does anyone think leading a horse in from pasture (maximum 30 ft) and feeding hay and grain ,and maybe picking up a few piles of poop is "over-doing it"?? They keep on saying "Don't over-do it". I so want to go back out in the barn but hubby says "No".
    It would be soo nice if you all agreed with me

Yep, I am there with you, have been for a while now and have learned to cope and just work smarter.

While in rehab, when told "do not overdo it", that means I can feed and clean, as long as I don't try to handle horses that may move a little too fast and jerk, or run over me, so try not to handle them or be in the way.
    To feed and clean, use a dolly to move hay, don't just carry the bales and if buckets of grain are heavy, put them in some kind of cart to pull easily around and only load the manure basked half full, make more trips.

My theory after a few rehabs is that, if we keep doing what we normally do, isometrics will take care of much of the rehab, without damage from overdoing it.
    As you keep moving with the parts that work, the one recuperating keeps getting little signals, even if not being loaded and that keeps it healing with a small amount of activity.
    If we don't do anything while waiting for clearance, then we have that much further to go to regain use.

Since the outdoors and especially barns are not the cleanest places, if you have anything still healing on the outside, that would be a concern, you don't want an infection to set in.

When I broke ribs this summer I first ignored them and continued on with whatever I wanted . . .ended up re-breaking them and caused my spleen to swell and all that. . . when I went to Doctor . .says that was your body telling you you over-did it . . .So . .I'd listen to your body . I think the rehabs err on the side of conservative, so if you feel like you can do it and are safe . .than you are taking it easy, if you end up very sore the next day .. maybe you pushed to hard and dial it back again.

I'm on bedrest for a complicated pregnancy, have been for 7 weeks now and still have another 13 weeks (lord willing).

I am not allowed to sit or stand for more than 1o minutes. Laying on my back watching tv and looking outside wanting to be with the horses is killing me. Mr Hawaii has taken off work so I don't have to be at the hospital on bedrest.

Assoon as this baby comes, I'm hitting the ground running and I'll never watch tv again.

I am breaking up my day by reading, surfing the forums, and counting days to my weekly doctor visits for shots, sonograms, and occassional car rides.

Mr H does take me once a week or once every two or three weeks to the barn. For the ride I lay down in the truck and Mr H will bring the horses one at a time to the truck window for me to pet them. We only stay for a few minutes but its better than not seeing them.

As for "over doing it"....I would follow doctors orders. If you question whether an activity is over doing it....the activity probably is over doing it.

How sweet of Mr H to take you to the barn and bring each horse one by one to be petted...I'd keep him,girl!!.Good Luck with your baby and "Hang in there" it will be worth it!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by BigEasy View Post
    How sweet of Mr H to take you to the barn and bring each horse one by one to be petted...I'd keep him,girl!!.Good Luck with your baby and "Hang in there" it will be worth it!!!!
    He's a keeper Today he curried off all the mud on their coats, hoof picked them, and helped my girlfriends husband do the same to their horses (since she is out of town for the holidays)...sneezing the whole time because he's allergic to the horses.

He even is tolerating me bossing him around at home...most of the time.[wink]

What is the average recovery time for your hip replacement; (when are you off restrictions/ or as I call it house arrest?)

I had total hip replacement Oct 4 and can start riding again this week. I do not have any pain whatsoever and have pretty much gotten back to doing all of the barn chores as before surgery. I would not suggest bringing in any horses that may jerk you quickly but feeding, stall picking, etc. should be ok. Just listen to what your body tells you. It will let you know if you are over doing it. Remember, the muscles, etc. have to attach themselves to your hip device and that does not finish happening until around 6 months. You will be pleasantly surprised how good you feel in a few more weeks.

i had 9 weeks of bed rest from feb 12, 10 when i shattered my leg and had a rod put in my tibia. i had to keep it elevated to stop the pain. when i put my leg down, it swelled, went purple and hurt alot. i was sooooo bored! tv is boring!
    i am now recovering from screw removal surgery, which is not that bad, but i am bored again. i just cant get my 4 incisions wet or dirty because i only have internal stitches and steri tapes on top. so i cant do the gym, i cant go to the barn, i cant do anything really. i am bored, but this should only be about 2 weeks.
    i understand your pain. but once you get the green light your life should be much happier and you will forget all the boredom of lying around! trust me, once i got riding again, my bed rest was just a bad memory!
    good luck in getting better!

Fractured spine in October.
    I'll be so glad to be doing my own stalls again.
    Have had wonderful help, but it just ain't the same...
    "It's like a Russian nesting doll of train wrecks."--CaitlinandTheBay

...just settin' on the Group W bench.

Had shoulder surgery in Dec. and while it is nice to have people do for you I hate putting people out. I've been feeding at night and feeding itself is'nt hard (with one arm) but then the idiots started chasing each other around and one ran into me tonight and boy, did that hurt! And it wasn't even a full hit! Just a brush. Hopefully it didn't do anything to the repair because it still is stiff and sore. But anyway THAT is what they mean by not overdoing it I think. Keep your crippled self out of harm's way!
    Every mighty oak was once a nut that stood its ground.

Proud Closet Canterer! Member Riders with Fibromyalgia clique.

Knee surgery right after Christmas. Thanks to my friends and family, I am bored. They are taking such good care of me and my horses that I don't even have any worrying to do! No complaints about being bored here. Just trying to be patient.