The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Dump cart for my ATV--anything better than this one out there?

In the winter our tractor gets morphed into a giant snowblower-on-wheels (LONG driveway, LOTS of snow) so I don't have the use of my front end loader from about now until late March. It's a royal PITA to switch them back and forth.

So during this time my manure bunkers can't be easily emptied or turned over. I was caught off guard by a very big early snow this year, and only got one of them emptied.

Sooo, instead of using the loader when I can get it, I was thinking of just mucking into some sort of dump cart this winter and adding it to my larger manure pile down the driveway, where I can just keep it there until spring and start turning/composting it then.

I was looking at this one here.

I have only two weanlings and a pony at home, and they are mostly outside but they do have access to a large foaling stall and horse porch, so there is about half of an 8 cubic foot wheelbarrow load every day that I muck out, sometimes more.

Anyone have any better products than the one I listed? Can I see them? Thanks. I'm thinking with this one I could probably dump it every 3 days or so, which would be pretty tolerable.
    Click here before you buy.

I clean under the sheds twice a day and maybe get a standard muck bucket full every two days from 3 horses.
    I have five muck buckets and when they are full, I load them on the back of the pickup or gator and go empty them.
    I can also just dump them into the tractor bucket and go dump it.

That one cart looks neat, may just be what you need.
    I had one like that for 5 years I never did use and gave to a friend a week ago, that just got a 4 wheeler and could use it to haul stuff and feed paddocs with it.

Dang, Bluey! I would have nabbed it from you.

Mine must be pooping machines. In non-snowy months I get a full 8 cf wheelbarrow full every 1.5-2 days, almost none of that bedding. But I pick up every last turd in the sacrifice paddock daily. I used to laugh at people who said they did the same . . .

we use one similar - maybe a bit bigger and added sides and a front to make it larger - we have to empty it at least 2 times each day when we have a full barn of 9 stalls.

Word of caution - manure can spontaneously combust - make sure you leave it outside just in case. I know of two barns that burned down because manure was left in a wagon overnight.

Brave, where did you get yours? I wouldn't mind a bit bigger.

I have this one and love it!
    http://www.agri-fab.com/products/45-0345.aspx

It can be used as a cart or wheelbarrow, plus it has the dump feature. The only problem that we ever had with it was the tires. When using it to clear brush, the thorns of wild roses punctured them. SO inserted intertube inside the provided tire and have not had a problem since.

Default I used this one

I would suggest getting one with a handle so it is easier to pull around by hand (for stalls / paddock etc.) . They have one on home depot's website here is the URL http://www.homedepot.com/h_d1/N-5yc1...atalogId=10053

I started out with one without the handle and it was a pain to dump - manure only went half way out & then I had to rake out by hand which was annoying. With this one I could unhitch it and then use the handle to completely flip it over & flip it back - no more raking.

I also wanted to pull it in & out of stalls, etc - places I did not always want to drive the garden tractor to.

It was much better than the first one (without a handle) - also I prefer a modled plastic body to metal as the metal is heavier (a little) and seems to have sharper corners (my legs can attest to that!).

and final words of wisdom - the rubber tires were forever going flat (but I had to haul mine over sharp roots/ etc to dump it) - so you might want to invest in a portable air pump that you can plug in.

For the paddocks - I had a separate muck bucket (circular tub like a big bucket) & cart (like for shows) that I could pull around and then dump in the cart when full - for some reason this was easier than either pulling the cart around by hand - or drving the tractor around. But my paddocks were all on the side of a hill.

ours is a john deere 17p poly cart

Default Agrifab smart cart

We have the Agrifab smart cart. It works great behind the 4 wheeler and holds lots of pooh. Also moves bags of shavings, hay, etc. around. We can move it around (empty) by hand as well. Great cart.

How about a metal one? We've had one of these for around 12 years, and it hasn't let us down yet:

http://www.northtrailtrailers.com/BushBuggy.html

Have both. The first one (which I picked up at a yard sale) and the one with the handle. Have the one with the handle for sale. Handle would hit the canopy bars on the lawn tractor.

Too bad you are so far away!