The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Talking I want jingle bells UPDATE: I want these!!!

Ooh ooh ooh, I just found these and I want! Made by the gentleman suggested, apparently the sound is one of a kind. He says they're for a gig saddle, which I have, but how on earth to I connect this:

http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c5...m/af137b88.png

to this:
    http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c5...1173/photo.jpg

if it works the way I think it does, those turrets replace the ones current there and it just screws in, I think my saddle may be too wide for the chimes? or do you think they bend?

thank you!!!

original message:
    I know I'm going to regret this, but I so want just a few jingle bells to hang on my boy's harness once in a while, for those moments when I'm feeling unusually festive

So my question is, I have a simple marathon harness, I've been prowling ebay looking for some chrome and russet bells, but I'm not quite sure where to place them, how to affix them, or what to get? Much of what I find seems to be intended for hames.

Could someone point me in the direction of something fun and attractive yet simple to apply?

Thank you!
    Last edited by buck22; Dec. 3, 2010 at 07:06 PM.
    Worry is the biggest enemy of the present... it’s like using your imagination to create things you don’t want.
    An adorable photography book, makes a perfect gift.

Default Jingle Bells, Jingle Bells, Jingle all the way.

Do a search for" Lignite Carriage Company." Wait here is the link to his current site http://santassleighbells.com The guy that owns the site doesn't build carriages any more, but he does make and sell all kinds of sets of harness bells- he has every kind from single Polar Express Bells" to -acorn bells, hame bells, rump bells and sets of bells that fasten around a horses' neck or around the saddle area on the outside of the shafts.-

His name is Jim Dingman-- really-- you could probably do a search on his name and find his site. He sometimes sells single bear bells, hame bells or sets of bells on eBay, but I can't remember the id he uses there.

He made me a pair of custom acorn bell sets- five bells on each strap on russet leather to hang on my plantation saddle's saddle roll dees before I got a buggy. He can make the bells with russet leather or black leather.

His bells are attached the old fashioned way- not just attached with rivets. The straps are lined so the bell tangs and fasteners don't rub your horse. And the work he does is excellent. He will actually advise you on what will work best, and these bells- whichever you choose - will last a lifetime if you care for the leather properly.

He also hase brass and chrome bells, but he starts getting really busy about this time of year-- so don't wait to get your jingles on.
    Laissez les bons temps rouler!
    Elysian Fields Farm--
    --An equine refuge

Quote Originally Posted by elysian*fields*farm View Post
    Do a search for" Lignite Carriage Company." Wait here is the link to his current site http://santassleighbells.com The guy that owns the site doesn't build carriages any more, but he does make and sell all kinds of sets of harness bells- he has every kind from single Polar Express Bells" to -acorn bells, hame bells, rump bells and sets of bells that fasten around a horses' neck or around the saddle area on the outside of the shafts.-

His name is Jim Dingman-- really-- you could probably do a search on his name and find his site. He sometimes sells single bear bells, hame bells or sets of bells on eBay, but I can't remember the id he uses there.

He made me a pair of custom acorn bell sets- five bells on each strap on russet leather to hang on my plantation saddle's saddle roll dees before I got a buggy. He can make the bells with russet leather or black leather.

His bells are attached the old fashioned way- not just attached with rivets. The straps are lined so the bell tangs and fasteners don't rub your horse. And the work he does is excellent. He will actually advise you on what will work best, and these bells- whichever you choose - will last a lifetime if you care for the leather properly.

He also hase brass and chrome bells, but he starts getting really busy about this time of year-- so don't wait to get your jingles on.
    I bought some of Mr. Dingman's bells a few years ago. They are beautiful, heavy brass bells with a very lovely tone to them. They cannot be compared to the cheap metal bells you can buy elsewhere. The tone of the bells is completely different and worth the price you pay for them (which is very reasonable for what you get). Love these bells.
    "My biggest fear is that when I die my husband is going to try to sell all my horses and tack for what I told him they cost."

Well i was wanting the same thing for my mini! Thought the little martingale bell attachment (from breast collar to girth) would be perfect for him, dont want to scare all my pretty deer away going down the trail with billions of bells! So i wrote... Unfortunately, he's not taking any special orders until after the first of the year. So i have a feeling he's pretty booked up!

Quote Originally Posted by butlerfamilyzoo View Post
    Well i was wanting the same thing for my mini! Thought the little martingale bell attachment (from breast collar to girth) would be perfect for him, dont want to scare all my pretty deer away going down the trail with billions of bells! So i wrote... Unfortunately, he's not taking any special orders until after the first of the year. So i have a feeling he's pretty booked up!
    I bought a couple of Reindeer bells (ETA I believe what I actually purchased was the individual Believer Bells) to attach to my mini harness. They make a very nice jingle, are inexpensive and can be moved from harness to harness if I need to. You can get them in different sizes for different tones. They can also be attached to your riding horses' saddle.
    "My biggest fear is that when I die my husband is going to try to sell all my horses and tack for what I told him they cost."

very cool, thanks everyone!
    Worry is the biggest enemy of the present... it’s like using your imagination to create things you don’t want.

PRS - i was thinking i would do that instead! I love the way his bells look, i'm sure they sound fantastic!

I like to keep something on the trail horses when we ride out, just in case one of us gets tossed and a horse runs off, at least maybe we can hear them to find them. Gotta say, bells jingling in the woods is a dead giveaway!

bumping for the updated question....

remove the original turrets and pop in the bells. the square turrets are what you are going to run the rein through now.

have fun !

Quote Originally Posted by MunchingonHay View Post
    remove the original turrets and pop in the bells. the square turrets are what you are going to run the rein through now.

have fun !
    ^ This.

buck22 - I want a pair of those chimes, too!!!!

BTW - The item you pictured were called saddle chimes, not bells. I think the difference was that chimes had clappers to produce the ring and were also an all-in-one item - like the chimes you'd hang outside to blow in the wind. You'd also find chimes on the underside of a sleigh shaft (that were mounted together on a metal brace). They seemed to come in sets of 3 for the terret, and up to 5 for the shafts. Bells, on the other hand, were individual units with a ball bearing inside, all basically the same size for which you could have as many as you wanted put on a leather strap to hang on the horse.
    Last edited by gothedistance; Dec. 3, 2010 at 10:26 PM.

I think those saddle chimes are so pretty, but i wonder if they would be huge on a mini saddle? I've never seen them in person. Otherwise, i would splurge on them!

I found at Cracker Barrel the other day in their little store some kids bells, 4 bells on a nylon strap that velcros around their wrist. Well low and behold, i have a kelly green cart and they had kelly green straps! They fit right around my shaft. Ok, so it's not as pretty, and they may not sound as pretty, but i can take the suckers off in a split second if they drive me nuts.

At least i can be a little festive! They were only $3 each! They had black and red straps too if anyone else wants to try them.

Just remember the inexpensive bells are usually jangly rather than sweetly jingly

These arent too bad. and being it's only 4, i dont have a whole slew of them to drive me bonkers. I just wanted something festive since it seems i started too late this year to have anything made as the bell makers are backed up. Hope i'll remember and be better prepared for next year! I really want that bell martingale in mini with the two bells on it. two sounds just fine!

Quote Originally Posted by butlerfamilyzoo View Post
    I think those saddle chimes are so pretty, but i wonder if they would be huge on a mini saddle? I've never seen them in person. Otherwise, i would splurge on them!
    I'm wondering the same, if they're huge.

I guess my other question however though is if the legs where the turrets screw in can be bent to match the angle of my saddle.

Looking at the photo, though of course it is skewed, it looks too narrow to attempt unless it bends.

Excuse my very crude photoshopping but this should show my concern:
    http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c5...m/5e8027ce.jpg

an email to Mr. Dingman is in order!

Nothing says "Christmas" like "jingle bells" even in south Louisiana where we hardly ever have snow.

I have some rump or rumbler bells-- the really big bells that come either with four or six and sit near the horse's rump. I found those on eBay a couple years ago for a "song" compared to what they cost new. I bought them as a door decoration before I even had anything to drive. I also have a lovely pair of plain chrom-plated saddle chimes, so I'll be prepared if I ever drive a team or pair of horses. I drive singles because I don't have anything that requires a team.

I also have the lovely "hame bells" that I bought from Mr. Dingman, which feature the "acorn" shaped bells. And I have a couple of single bells on rawhide strings for attaching to riding horse's saddles.

Dixie and carriage did the Christmas parade Saturday all "done up" with mane roll, standards, chimes and bells - lots of red and green. Judging from the response we got from the crowds, our efforts were well appreciated. Bells and/or chimes certainly add to any occasion even if it's 75 degrees and there isn't a snowflake in sight. So "dressing up" a horse
    with mane roll and standards, for which I can thank Jerry who can get this done in about 10 minutes.

As far as the single bells on saddle horses, I think it's a good idea. I've noticed some on eBay advertised as "bear bells." We don't have bears here except in the Atchafalaya Swamp and some of the very rugged and almost inaccessible Tunica hills north of St. Francisville and south of Natchez, MS. But if you do ride in the national forests in southwest Mississippi, I could see where having a bell on your horse would facilitate finding him or her should you become unseated.

I really, really want one of those long sets of bells that Mr. Dingman sells that I think actually go on the outside of the shafts and around a horse-- lots of "jingle" there. But those are a "wish list" item and likely to remain so for a long time. Where is Santa Clause once you are all grown up and you really need him?

As far as bells for minis, I'm sure if there are small saddle chimes made for them, Mr. Dingman would know where to get them. He does have bell straps for minis.
    Elysian Fields Farm--
    --An equine refuge

http://www.coachmansdelight.com/Prod...=&sku=ACCE9-95

I have a set of these in nickel/chrome...very pretty and a sound that isn't tooth grating after a short while....they're also called Hungarian chimes.
    "Sic Gorgiamus Allos Subjectatos Nunc"

Mr. Dingman wrote back, sadly it looks like the saddle chimes won't fit us.
    Not inlcuding the wood base, they are about 10" tall. Inside to inside at terret holes is 5-1/2". You may be able to get some bend, but I don't recommend trying to change the shape that much.
    Oh well! The right bells for us will show up sooner or later I'm sure

Buck 22- I hope you find the bells or chimes you want soon- Christmas is almost here.

The chimes that Trake posted a link to look really nice. Maybe that store has them in smaller sizes-- or maybe you need to find a harness maker that specializes in minis-- they would surely know where to get chimes for minis- just a thought.

The set of chimes I bought have the clappers(?) on the inside like regular bells. They are of a much more simple design. I also have a triple bell "flyer" that has horsehair on top dyed red, white and blue. These were used on Shires and other heavy horses in a class where harness decoration was what was being judged.

One book I have shows a heavy horse in the UK with six of these sets of triple bells on its harness-- all with the horse hair toppers. One is on his rump on the spider, three are on the harness saddle, one is on top of the hames and collar housing, and one is on top of his head. The one set I have has a very dainty tinkling sound- the bells are all of a different pitch.

This flyer screws into the place in the middle of the saddle where there is usually a hook for the sidecheck reins or over check.
    Last edited by elysian*fields*farm; Dec. 8, 2010 at 01:52 AM.
    Elysian Fields Farm--
    --An equine refuge

Remember, you can get bells that go on the shafts (3-4 bells usually)...they make a nice understated sound...
    "Sic Gorgiamus Allos Subjectatos Nunc"

Oh! My friend had those on her harness at the Tea Drive on Saturday, they are quite LOUD, but it's a nice sound. You remove the rein turrets and bolt those in place, run the lines through. The catch being they have to line up with the holes in your saddle.

My friend said they did bend a little bit, she had them on her draft cross, on marathon harness.