The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Ulcers

Last edited by ride2town; Oct. 21, 2010 at 04:52 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by ride2town View Post
    How prove are horses to ulcers if fed twice a day with no grass turnout at all? What signs would you look for and treat ulcers?
    What kind of work are they in? What kind of forage do they get and do they have access to it at all times? Any reason for no grass turnout?

There are many different symptoms, ones I can think of off the top of my head would be lethargic, dull/dry coat, sensitivity in the girth area, decreased appetite, weight loss, colic, general dullness..

GastroGard is the only drug I know of that is clinically proven to heal and prevent ulcers, but there are many other options to try that are less expensive.

Amy

"I decided I am going to live, or at least try to live, the way I want,
    with dignity, with courage, with humor, with composure."

Horse is worked 3-4 times a week lightly. Gets fed 2x a day hay. Adding on supplement. Horse is under age of 10.
    There is no turnout available for 9 months of the year. I hand graze for 30 minutes each time I am out. I do not have 1-2 hours to hand graze. Past hand grazing no turnout arrangements are allowed.
    You mean he is in his stall for 20-something hours a day for 9 months of the year? I hope not.

I'm not positive on this (so if someone who knows the facts sees this, chime in!) but I'm fairly certain horses are supposed to have forage available at all times, not just twice a day.. or at least that is the impression I'm under. That they are designed to be constantly eating and going without forage for more than a certain number of hours may be detrimental.

What kind of supplement are you adding?

The only way to know for certain if the horse has ulcers is to scope. Your vet may be able to do it at the barn or you may have to go to the clinic.

Amy

U7 is great stuff, and we also add in cold pressed soy oil for cool energy. It also helps prevent ulcers.
    pace, path, balance, impulsion and ??

Don't panic! Ralph Leroy Hill

Sounds like a recipe for ulcers.

Sounds like a bad place to keep a horse. Find a new place to board, it will be cheaper then $900 a month to treat the ulcers!

What do you mean????
    What this poster means is (correct me if I'm wrong):

A. Horses are animals that NEED to be able to move around. Being in a stall 24 hours a day on the days you do not exercise the horse is just.. wrong. It's not conducive to any animals health to be confined in a small space for extended periods of time and this can lead to health problems.. muscle loss, stocking up, just plain going insane and barn sour to name a few..

B. Hay twice a day when the horse gets no turnout is also unacceptable. Keeping the digestive system continually working prevents ulcers and maintains a healthy digestive system for these animals. The horse should always have hay in front of him.

You should really look elsewhere to board. No turnout for 9 months is just insane.

Edit: In fact.. I would be shocked if this horse DIDN'T have ulcers.
    Last edited by ake987; Oct. 21, 2010 at 12:22 PM. Reason: Add a thought..

Amy

agreed with everyone else! no horse should be in a stall 24 hrs a day! as far as sx's of ulcers, no weight gain, won't eat up all their food, it gives them pain in the stomach....eventually will colic. Gastroguard is the best treatment, but you have to have them scoped first to get a prescription for the Gastroguard. MOVE YOUR HORSE!!

I'd be looking for a new barn. You're a new poster on this forum and every one of your posts has been about the bad stuff going on around the barn where your horse is boarded - horrible hay that is all sticks/weeds, no turnout, in a stall, you're worried about ulcers......

Just find a more appropriate place to board your horse where they get to eat real hay and go into a real pasture and be a real horse.

I do own a horse who would probably live in a stall 24/7 if I let her. Hell, she'd probably live in my HOUSE if I let her. But the option for turnout is always there for her. She can stand in the barn, or she can go in the field with her buddies. Sometimes she chooses one, sometimes the other, but it's her choice. I throw hay in the back of the barn for her so she can eat while she's standing there. Even when I don't do this, she'll still just stand there and not eat for hours. So she has forage wherever she chooses to go, at least. I would not intentionally lock a horse in a stall for 9 months of the year for no good reason, sorry.

You do not NEED a scope for a prescription of Gastroguard. Often a few days on GG will let you know if the horse has ulcers if you see a change for the better.
    I didn't scope until the end of the course just to satisfy myself and my need to spend money on the horse! GG is costly enough, but it ends up being the better deal than fiddling around with cheaper solutions that do not work.

Last edited by ride2town; Oct. 21, 2010 at 04:53 PM.

Thank you. Gastroguard sounds pricey. Where should I order it from?
    Gastrogard is a prescription product. Ulcergard is not, although they are identical products. Only the labeling is different. You can buy Ulcergard and still give 1 whole tube per day, but about the cheapest you can find is around $27 per tube. Allivet, Mountain Vet, Discount Pet Drugs all run specials and ocassionally have free shipping and discount coupons. I spent thousands treating ulcers. It's not cheap.

Ok I'll look for ulcergard. $27 per tube!! That's 810 per month. I'm gonna have to sell my horse. Board plus 810 a month is crazy for a college student.
    The more optimal solution would be to move your horse to a better boarding situation that feeds palatable hay and gives the horse adequate turnout time.

Keep in mind that you don't just treat for one month and you're done. This is an ongoing deal at least on a maintenance level - especially if you can't eliminate the factor that caused the ulcers in the first place. If you can eliminate what caused the ulcers, chances are you'll only need to do a maintenance dose before particularly stressful events, prolonged stalling, trailering, shows, etc.

Hold up - you just need a short course of a few days to see if he responds.
    Give the correct dose for his weight.

But, you also have to do the full management thing, too. Find a happy boarding situation, hay pretty much on a continuous basis, turnout, companionship, etc. or the stress will keep him sick. How is his coat, weight, temperament...didn't go back to read if this had been covered.

Why don't you find somewhere else to board?
    Siouxland Sporthorses: http://slsfarm.blogspot.com/

DIY Journey of Remodeling the Farmette: http://weownblackacre.blogspot.com/