The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Listen People!
    We got a perfectly good slaughter trainwreck in OC. I don't think it's prudent or respectful to clutter the OP's thread up with all that jazz.

Let's just stick to the emergency disposal options. Please.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mozart View Post
    Personally, I think the moderate use of shock collars in training humans should be allowed.

I am not necessarily for or against slaughter. I am not a fan of disposing of the carcass in less than an environmentally sound or green manner!

What do we do with the carcass when we it is illegal to bury, no rendering, no slaughter, no back field or bone yard.....

What does someone do with the carcass when end of life comes?

I think this question needs to be answered or addressed in a more efficient manner.

The costs to some are prohibitive. There are no easy answers.

After a tragic illness/injury, the costs of disposal are a kick to the gut, a slap in the face, and a nice to the heart! It hurts!
    Life is too short to argue with a mare! Just don't engage! It is much easier that way!

Have fun, be safe, and let the mare think it is her idea!

Quote Originally Posted by animaldoc View Post
    Here the cost for disposal is about $900.....that's a pretty hefty chunk of change. Also not possible to bury on the farms (metro NYC area). Of course, most people here that have horses pay $800-3000/mo. board.
    This is what I don't understand.... Many people have no problem dishing out that kind of money paying a month's board, purchasing a saddle, etc.
    Yet, gasp or complain when they have to pay the same or similar amount of money to dispose of a horse.

It isn't always about the money. It is about options! Just because you CAN pay the money, doesn't mean you should have to....

There have to be other options.

No burial is allowed in some places.

No rendering plants in others.

No slaughter.

No land.

No cremation.

What does someone do?!

It isn't always about the money?
    Life is too short to argue with a mare! Just don't engage! It is much easier that way!

Quote Originally Posted by mustangtrailrider View Post
    It isn't always about the money. It is about options! Just because you CAN pay the money, doesn't mean you should have to....

No slaughter.

No land.

No cremation.

What does someone do?!

Thank you.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mozart View Post
    Personally, I think the moderate use of shock collars in training humans should be allowed.

Good article about the whole mess and some ACTUAL solutions!!

http://www.horsetalk.co.nz/features/...hter-152.shtml

No slaughter.

No land.

No cremation.

What does someone do?!

I realize that part, and should have been clearer. Yes, some people have no option.

I was referring to the cost portion.

I actually read the article from top to bottom.

The only option that it lists is Humane Euthanasia!

Ok, that only addresses what to do with "unwanted" horses.

It has nothing to offer after the horse is euthanized.

That is what the OP is complaining of.

It is prohibitively expensive and darned difficult if not impossible to dispose of horses after euthanasia.

Quote Originally Posted by FlashGordon View Post
    T

Would encourage every horse owner, boarders in particular who may not be able to bury, to find out what options are available in their area and what they cost. Keep the info and numbers handy, and sock away a little extra $ to cover those costs in event of emergency.
    Good idea - we do it for ourselves in the form of pre-need funeral planning so it should be well planned for horses too.

We are fortunate in that we have a couple of neighbors with back hoes and we can have a horse buried for just under $100 on our property. We've buried 6 in the last 8 or 9 years .

I am not necessarily for or against slaughter. I am not a fan of disposing of the carcass in less than an environmentally sound or green manner!

What do we do with the carcass when we it is illegal to bury, no rendering, no slaughter, no back field or bone yard.....

What does someone do with the carcass when end of life comes?

I think this question needs to be answered or addressed in a more efficient manner.

The costs to some are prohibitive. There are no easy answers.

After a tragic illness/injury, the costs of disposal are a kick to the gut, a slap in the face, and a nice to the heart! It hurts!
    It is a slap, but it is a slap that can be eased by finding out everything there is to know about horse ownership before you get one. I am amazed at how many people have not a clue as to what they will do with a 1000 pound animal when it passes. If someone lives in an area where costs are exorbitant, perhaps they should re-think ownership if that cost is an issue. The costs in death are still usually a drop in the bucket compared to their costs in life! I don't mean for that to sound mean either, just realistic. There is no room for "what if's" in horse ownership, just reality.

Dumplin' was euthanized at Cornell. So I wasn't given much choice as to what I could do. But the slap of losing him and then being faced with a huge bill was MUCH easier because I knew ahead of time what my options were. I know what my options are for all our herd, and I am prepared for that. Hopefully it won't happen for a long, long time. But I will make sure I adjust for rising costs if that is the case.

Death is an unfortunate side effect of living, and we are will served to learn our options before we need to exercise them.
    I Loff My Quarter Horse & I love Fenway Bartholomule cliques

Just somebody with a positive outlook on life...go ahead...hate me for that.

Quote Originally Posted by saddleup View Post
    I lost two horses this summer. The vet clinic charged $250 each time for the euthanization and removal...
    The cost was about the same for me, $250ish for euth and body transport (which was about 50 miles one way) to burial site at a friend's place. Backhoe guy only charged $50 or so if I remember correctly...
    View my photographs at www.horsephotoguy.zenfolio.com

No slaughter.

No land.

No cremation.

What does someone do?!

This is a discussion to have with your vet. They will be able to tell you what your options are. I know what my options are not because I have euthanized a horse since I have lived here in MS but because I discussed it with my vet. They deal with it all the time.

If you have very few options then it is time to either move into a more horse friendly area or start getting vocal with your town and county. Horse people are getting steam rolled in this country and unless we want to be a dieing breed we had better become squeaky wheels.
    No hour of life is wasted that is spent in the saddle. ~Winston Churchill

Thank you for your comments and suggestions. I KNOW what my options are. I have no problem dealing with the situation when the time comes. It has too many times already. I have my options clearly in front of me. No surprises here.

As a property owner in the deep rural sticks of my state, I have many options in front of me. My ideal solution now is composting. Now that I have proper information on doing so, it will be my plan for the future.

Yes, I have discussed it with my vet. The costs are no surprise to me.

To other people, they are a HUGE surprise. Most people don't think of this until the time comes. Then, slap in the face!

That is why I ask what are the options! It sounds as though composting is a win win for all!