The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Is there a market for...

an overgrown (like, really overgrown) large pony? Said overgrown pony is 15.2h . I am interested in him for resale purposes, but my hesitation is that people would be put off by the fact that he is part welsh (and also not part WB). He is a nice mover, has an auto change and could eventually make a nice Adult Am hunter or Children's hunter. My question is, is he marketable to the hunter audience given his breeding as essentially an overgrown pony?

Thanks for any input!
    Riding: The art of keeping a horse between you and the ground. - Author Unknown

Whats your market? Are you going to try and sell him to a local show home? Or to someone to do the competitive A/O circuit along the EC??

Unless he is spectacular, you may have a difficult time selling him to a competitive A-circuit show home...but if your market is more of a local one, as long as he can make the lines you should be fine. There is always a market (In my area anyway) for good solid citizens, regardless of size. If he's quiet, will jump around and get his changes, some local mom will scoop him right up.

hunterhorse22 is offline Training Level Premium Member
    Original Poster

Whoops, forgot that bit of info (gotta love Mondays!)

I certainly wouldn't expect him to be a competitive 3'6 horse. The market where I am (central MD) has several local circuits and a lot of local rated options. Ultimately, my goal would be to put some local show miles on him this winter and sell him in the spring. We're not talking a 6-figure horse, just a nice, solid citizen that would be competitive locally and maybe at some smaller rated shows. Given his quiet personality, he would be suitable for a child moving up from a pony or an ammy that needs a good citizen.

I don't think you should have any issues. He sounds lovely. As long as you ask a reasonable price for him, he should turn around pretty fast.

I see a lot of horses out there that are way over priced. I saw a horse out there that was an OTTB 16.2 gelding that is long, lanky, and slabsided with a short neck--and short strides to boot--and just started o/f and he's already stopping. Has no flatwork and gets anxious....asking $4500 for him....

Yours sounds like a gem compared to this one...IMO, I would rather have a 15.2 hand, nice little packer as opposed to the above
    Last edited by sar2008; Sep. 27, 2010 at 12:55 PM.

I certainly wouldn't expect him to be a competitive 3'6 horse. The market where I am (central MD) has several local circuits and a lot of local rated options. Ultimately, my goal would be to put some local show miles on him this winter and sell him in the spring. We're not talking a 6-figure horse, just a nice, solid citizen that would be competitive locally and maybe at some smaller rated shows. Given his quiet personality, he would be suitable for a child moving up from a pony or an ammy that needs a good citizen.
    Maybe. If he can make the strides and jump around 2'6" with a lead change, sure. 3', even better. If he's appropriately priced.

The real thing is that you're going to be trying to sell an unfashionable horse in a short time frame when there aren't really any horse shows, in an already crappy market. While most of the MD/VA local shows are competitive, the winter shows don't prove a lot because there's fewer folks competing. Also, a few months of results isn't really enough time to prove much either. With the down market, that could make it tough to get your money back.

A welsh/whatever cross wouldn't deter me if he can walk the walk. I just don't know if "showing over the winter to sell in the spring" actually proves that he can walk the walk unless you're going to Florida or something.
    ---
    They're small hearts.

Original Poster

I would plan to show him into the spring/summer, or however long, until sold. I don't typically do a lot of showing over the winter, but my plan would be to take him to a few smaller winter shows in order to get him some experience. My hope would then be to have him going nicely in time for the local spring/summer circuits so he wouldn't be totally "show green" going into my would-be sales market.

I know a lot of adults who are petite, grown ups, and have no aspiration to hit a rated show a day in their life. They do not want to be over-horsed (on the ground or in the saddle!), they do not want to spend 10 minutes falling off of a skyscraper of a horse, and they want something they can tack up without a step stool. There are 4 women in my last barn who were in the market in the past 5 years and actually said flat out "absolutely nothing over 15.3"- they're all in the 5' range heightwise.

They also seem to have no problem buying a horse for a fair market price.

A solid citizen for a petit mom, or a smallish child who will be playing locally at shows, is a pretty nice market. Petit moms also tend to be good homes, and if they're not super serious about riding daily, this sounds like a horse that a barn would be happy to work out a half-lease situation for, for lessons or kids exploring leasing for the first time

(I am not a petit mom- I'm an overgrown, fluffy, childless, early 20s that likes skyscraper horses. I'm just speaking from my experience.)

Of course! I am a 5'8" adult amateur and have a 15.3 TBx who is a super fun horse. I do a little bit of everything with him and he will pack me over fences all day long. I paid more money for him than I wanted too, but he's got such a good honest personality and is game for anything that it was worth it. I was the first person to look at him when he was for sale and snatched him right up.

Just market him to the right people and he'll sell, no problem. Not everyone is looking for a giant horse to do the AAA shows. The rest of us just want a safe, honest, fun horse and we are willing to pay for it!

Event people have no size bias at all. It couldn't hurt if you put some basic dressage work into him and jumped him around outside a ring several times to see if he will do logs and coops. Also make sure he will trot through shallow water.

When you are showing him to hunter people you do not have to tell them that he is a "cross dresser" but you will have doubled your market by making him versatile.
    "I used to have money, now I have horses."

You didn't mention if he has the step for the 3'.

I don't think being half-Welsh will hurt him. What's his other half?

If he looks the part, has the step, and jumps safely, no problem.

If he has to hustle to make the lines, a whole other story. I think it's been pretty well established on these boards that being a smaller horse is not a hinderance as long as the horse can make the distance without running. Amys and children don't always come up with that perfect distance into a line (read: chips a lot) and a shorter-strided horse has difficulty making it up the line in those circumstances.

Original Poster

The other half of him is TB.

He is still young, so he hasn't done a whole lot of jumping. From what he has done, he certainly doesn't have an issue with 2'3-2'6ish lines. I won't know about 3' potential for awhile, but based on what I can see now, I wouldn't write it out of his future

I'm totally blanking on the name of the poster (maybe DaytimeDrama) that had/has a lovely overgrown pony named Derby Hill. He's gorgeous, nice mover, great jump, makes the distances easily and it seems like he's been a hard sell for her. I don't think the price was out of line either.

As a personal horse, I'd have no problem with a smaller one that could do the job. As a resale, I'd be very careful. A lot of people just won't look at a smaller horse, whether it's the "makes me look fat" prejudice or the "small horses have small strides" stereotype, I do think they can be a harder sell.
    Keith: "Now...let's do something normal fathers and daughters do."
    Veronica: "Buy me a pony?"

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Helpus View Post
    Event people have no size bias at all.
    Well- much less bias. It is still hard to sell a hottish small horse in eventing.

Most of the people who want a small horse typically want something steady and reliable. But it sounds as if you have the steady, just need to find out if he is reliable.

If you do want to do a little cross training, the key words are "ditches, water, banks, trakehners". (They do not have to be big.) Even more important than the dressage.
    Janet

chief feeder and mucker for Music, Spy, Belle and Tiara. Someone else is now feeding and mucking for Chief and Brain (both foxhunting now).

I've been trying to move a 15hh qhxtb. Talented 2'6-3' hunter show quality (or eventer/jumper/etc). Great mover, very hansome, completly honest. I've been dropping the price all year and can barely get people out to look at him. Even when I push the selling points of one owner, 100% sound, etc. he just isn't racking up interest. He is 11 though...so that might be a turn off for some people.....

So I personally would say there isn't a very good market for those kind of horses.....but I also don't have tons of connections. I've advertised on the internet w/ pics and spread word of mouth through my friends (mostly only 4H type and local barns). If you have better connections you might have an easier time with it.

Quote Originally Posted by Jaideux View Post
    I know a lot of adults who are petite, grown ups, and have no aspiration to hit a rated show a day in their life. They do not want to be over-horsed (on the ground or in the saddle!), they do not want to spend 10 minutes falling off of a skyscraper of a horse, and they want something they can tack up without a step stool. There are 4 women in my last barn who were in the market in the past 5 years and actually said flat out "absolutely nothing over 15.3"- they're all in the 5' range heightwise.

They also seem to have no problem buying a horse for a fair market price.

A solid citizen for a petit mom, or a smallish child who will be playing locally at shows, is a pretty nice market. Petit moms also tend to be good homes, and if they're not super serious about riding daily, this sounds like a horse that a barn would be happy to work out a half-lease situation for, for lessons or kids exploring leasing for the first time

(I am not a petit mom- I'm an overgrown, fluffy, childless, early 20s that likes skyscraper horses. I'm just speaking from my experience.)
    This. ^
    And as long as the horse is quiet, it seems like it would be great as a first time horse (not for a complete beginner, but for someone who's leased/has expirience in the horse department, looking for their first buy). A child moving up from ponies (because most don't want to go from 14hh to 17hh) would probably be interested, too.

Original Poster

Quote Originally Posted by bigeqxo View Post
    A child moving up from ponies (because most don't want to go from 14hh to 17hh) would probably be interested, too.
    Funny you should say that because that's what I did when I moved from ponies to horses, only I went from 13.1 to 16.2 and more or less had to learn to ride all over again

I appreciate all of the input. I really think this guy would do well for the intended audience, as he is cute as can be and a total packer in the making. If only I could get him to grow another few inches...then again, I probably couldn't afford him if that was the case!

There is a size bias in the hunter world. My old horse was 16 H on the nose, and I had a lot of comments about her lack of size when I sold her. And she had a solid show record. I have one now that is a hair over 15 H that I am thinking about buying for my son, since she is like sitting on a couch. But she is very cheap and I know I will never make a profit on her if he loses interest and I have to sell her in a couple years, even with a decent show record. She does the strides and has an auto change, cute move, cute jump.

I would pull up the Dreamhorse horses in the area that are in the same size and age range and see how many solds are there. Personally I had a 15.2 (but mare) with a lovely stride and temperament that was very difficult to sell. I also know several others having a hard time selling small
    Epona Farm
    Irish Draughts and Irish Sport horses

Join us on Facebook

It can be much harder to sell a small one. A lot of people won't look at anything under 16 hands.

That said, if you have a nice one they do sell eventually, and usually you can get a price commensurate with their talent. It just sometimes takes longer to find a willing buyer.

If I didn't need to sell the horse and just wanted a fun project, maybe make a little and maybe not, I might think about it. But if you need it out of your barn in X months or else, I would pass.