The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Strangles or Rhino ????

We acquired a wonderful horse for my 15 year old daughter. She is healthy, up to date on everything, clean coggins. Her previous owner competed her a lot. After 3+weeks of her arrival my horse and mule are not right. I had the vet out they had temps of 106.5 and 104.5 He suspected Strangles or Rhino. These are 2 things I never vaccinate for since we just ride the fields around home. ( i know, i know) Anyways they are eating and drinking fine. He said it will have to run it's course. They now have the swelling under the throat area and nasal discharge. The mule scares me as the swelling is also down the side of his face and includes the muzzle. I check him all the time and his nostrils are not affected, nor his breathing. The vet isn't concerned. has anyone else had this??

The swelling is classic strangles.

Sounds like strangles...

And SUPER high fevers go right with it.... we controled it with bute in the AM and banamine in the PM

Can tell you that hot compresses help bring abscess to a head quicker...I also used magna paste and icthamal.

NOT fun....sorry Jingles to your guys to get better fast.

Your new horse may be an asymptomatic carrier. I'd have the vet test her and treat if she's positive.

So what would it be if you had a horse with swollen lymph node at jaw, No fever, no cough, no runny nose.Ultrasounded area and found encapsulated mass, but rock hard.Isolated for 6 weeks, temp taken twice a day, never any fever, runny nose cough, Biopsy mass when it sofened a bit. Cultures grew Nothing! Vet advised horse could removed from isolation after 6 weeks, within 24hrs of return to main barn abcess busts open!stiil no fever>Vet comes and lances it wide open. Do you think perhaps a spider bite???Looked like strangles, treated it like it was strangles but symptoms did not present like strangles?????Oh and horse is a 5 year old...
    Last edited by Equsrider; Nov. 17, 2010 at 08:58 PM. Reason: added to text

Thanks for your replies It makes me feel a little less concerned. He was a bit more swollen in the mouth and while he can still get hay it is a bit more difficult. I called the vet this morning and will pick up antibiotics . He doesn't want me to use them because it can cause it to reappear later on when you treat mid way through. Maybe I will just keep them on hand and white knuckle through this. As for hot packs my vet did suggest it but after 3 shots of prevail ( when this all started)I can't get near him with a halter at the moment.

As to the post above mine-- Maybe that is what happens when you have " bastard strangles" ??

I don't think so, Bastard strangles would show from what I understand, several areas of Severe swelling and a fever,snotty nose,and Lots of Pus drainage...this is't that. It's draining but mildly, nothing raging, still at 8 weeks no fever, CBC at 1st week showed only slightly elevated WBC and swelling was already evident.If it was Bastard strangles, I'm pretty sure after 8 weeks he would be dead by now, from complications. He eats, is, happy, and oh so full of himself at having a 2 month sabbatical from work.He did knock some wall boards off the back of his stall before this appeared and could have stuck his head in the space between stall wall and barn wall.I was thinking maybe a Brown Recluse bit him, but it is strange, and vets say it is NOT strangles...

Went out this morning to find both mule and horse had drainage. so now I will eagerly await the reappearance of my mule's normally beautiful face ( in a few days I hope) and pray for no kind of infections. It seems like when it rains it pours.

hang in there!!!