The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedMarketplaceDates & Results

Question Show Managers question for you re warm-ups...competitors too...

Hi all,
    I am gearing up for our fall hunter show series and wanted to know if the Blue/Red ribbon rounds were working for you as warm-ups. In the past, I have had open schooling in the early morning before the show starts (free - cross rail height) then three judged warm-up round classes ($10 per round) sprinkled in my class list at the various heights and then an open schooling break mid-day (free - 5 horses at a time for 5 mins. course at 2'3").

The warm-up classes are always heathly and bring in some good $$$ even though we have two "free schooling periods". The mid day schooling break is always frightful to watch/navigate even though we monitor it very closely and try to make it "safe".

So, from a time persective, do you find that the blue/red ribbon rounds move the day along ok? Or do you get bogged down with a million of these rounds in front of every single class? Do you charge the same as a regular class or is it a lesser fee? Do you give out the same quality ribbons as your regular classes or a cheaper version?

Competitors ...do you feel doing a blue/red ribbon round is enough time in the ring to get a feel for the course and your horse settled to the monsters in the corners, the crowd, the jumps etc? Would you be happy with blue/red ribbon rounds throughout the day and maybe say a brief hack (flat only) period mid day while we add fill to the course for the higher heights?

All thoughts and suggestions happily valued! Thanks.

Joy

I can't stand open warm-ups, they take forever (I don't do them, I scare easily) and when they call time there is ALWAYS 1 more person who needs to go in and jump every single jump 67 times...
    I'd much rather see blue/red classes and having it limited to ONE per each division, so if you're doing two divisions, you can have 2 trips, if not, just one.

Of course, I might think differently if I didn't own a saint of a horse who can go into any ring cold and pack me around

12th floor of the Acme building in a city that knows how to keep it's secrets.

The easiest thing to do is to have a blue/red that goes with the division, back to back to back.
    You will not rise to the occasion, you will default to your level of training.

Southern California - on a freeway someplace

Quote Originally Posted by Midge View Post
    The easiest thing to do is to have a blue/red that goes with the division, back to back to back.
    This is what we tend to see at the one- or two-day shows. Typically each horse gets one (per ring), but I can't remember if it's specified that it has to be before the horse's first division. This is generally in addition to the schooling circus that occurs before the day starts. Typically shows out here do not have open schooling in the middle of the day. Maybe shows in less-fortunate climates have mid-day schooling due to lack of suitable warm-up space?

Personally I prefer no warmup rounds at all..... out our shows at home we offer a 3'6, 3', and 2' schooling break in addition to a warmup round, and very few people enter it. (although, since our schooling break is free, I guess you lose money) If you want to school, then just come for the schooling break!

But if I was an exhibitor at your show I probably would not be happy with just a warmup round, if the show is B or C rated. BUT if this is an A or AA rated series, I would say that is sufficient (if the round is at your respective height), as if your showing at A shows your horse should be okay after showing them the jumps once or twice. and allowing them to hack while changing the jump heights is a great idea!

We offer an unjudged schooling break with 3-5 horses in the ring at a time (tend toward 3, but if a trainer has a bunch she wants to take in together, that's okay). We do not pin, and, depending on how many horses are waiting, they get 5-10 minutes per group.

Personally, as the owner/rider of a very green and tense horse, I find group warm up to be scary. Therefore, I show up at the butt-crack of dawn and school at my leisure, then repose at my trainer until it's time for my classes.
    Life would be infinitely better if pinatas suddenly appeared throughout the day.

Depends on the number of entries you have. Personally I loathe warm-up classes...

for a schooling series I would offer either schooling in the am and perhaps in the afternoon (depending on the divisions) OR judged warm-up. Not both.

Its perfectly reasonable to charge for ticketed schooling or as some shows do charge a schooling /office fee on the entry blank.

I've seen local shows have warm-up classes cost MORE than regular division classes.

This way, warm-up is still available if you really want it...but high numbers of warm-up trips are inherently discouraged...yet the show still makes a good bit of money off of them.

I thought it was clever.

I prefer open schooling until the ring needs to be readied for the show to start. Need to have someone supervising for traffic control. Warmup classes take forever!

Jeez. I'm so old. What ever happened to "Just do it?" ISn' there a shred left of the "jump what's in front of you" part of hunters?

madeline
    Who grew up to a constant stream of "No schooling over the outside course" with increasing irritation from the announcer .
    madeline
    * What you release is what you teach * Don't be distracted by unwanted behavior* Whoever waits the longest is the teacher. Van Hargis

Quote Originally Posted by Madeline View Post
    Jeez. I'm so old. What ever happened to "Just do it?" ISn' there a shred left of the "jump what's in front of you" part of hunters?

madeline
    Who grew up to a constant stream of "No schooling over the outside course" with increasing irritation from the announcer .
    After sitting thru never ending Blue ribbon rounds at "AA" show last year...took the bloom off the Rose.....

Quote Originally Posted by Madeline View Post

madeline
    My thoughts exactly. As long as there is a schooling "area" to hack and a few singles to pop over, why on earth would you need a warmup round in the ring you are showing in. Seems like if you had that much issue, you need to fix it before the show.
    ---^v---^v---^v----------------------^v---^v---^v---
    For a moment there, you bored me to death

At the locals show I go to, there is open schooling in the show arena prior to the show starting (like 6am-8am and yes it is utter chaos) as well as offering open schooling the day before (usually from noon-dark). Once the show starts there is usually a warm up class that runs all day long on an open card. You still have to do your classes in order which means you have to do your warm up round before your other trips (so you can't do one hunter trip and then decide that you really do need that warm up round). Once the show starts they do not have breaks for schooling.