The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Vocal staff horse

So my BF has been lent a big, beautiful young Cleveland Bay cross to to whip off of which is otherwise going well but when the horse is out of sight of others, he screams, constantly. Since most of the time he is by himself waiting in the woods this is going to be a problem. Any ideas on how to make him stop ? So far he's just been whacking him across the neck with his hunt whip but horse continues to holler. Any advice appreciated.

Wacking him isn't going to do anything.....

He's just insecure. Once the horse gets more confident, the calling will subside. Does he take him out for hacks other then just to hunt? The more the horse goes off and out alone, the better.

Default screamer of the week

Yes, he calls even worse on hacks out alone. Obviously doesn't do it when in a group or with another horse nearby. This will become an big issue during hunt season when he screams and turns a fox or disrupts houndwork. His older brother was my event horse and did it but not as bad, he did get better when whacked and even a bit funny since he knew he'd get in trouble, he'd reduce his call to this little squeak as if I might not notice.

Can the horse go out alone? Is that an option where he is now? Maybe try to keep him from the other horses as much as possible. He will eventually get over it or lose his "voice"

What does the Huntsman say? Our whip's horse will let our a whinny now and then, and the powers that be are OK with it.

The key word in this is young. He's still learning his trade.

It is something you need to deal with though. I'd start by having him and a buddy together, and taking the buddy a little distance away, then bringing him back. Rinse and repeat until he chills out. I'd start in hand then move on to under saddle.

There's some good advice about in this thread about doing the above.
    Horse Show Names Free name website with over 6200 names. Want to add? PM me!

Quote Originally Posted by baldfaceboyz View Post
    So far he's just been whacking him across the neck with his hunt whip...
    Well, there is a sure fire way to make the horse hate the hunt whip.

The whip is used for the hounds, not for your horse. Find another "stick" to discipline with.

It sounds like your guy is just too young. At lease the huntsman will know where the whipper-in is....