The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default What are these huge mosquito-like things on the trail? Update: Asian Tiger Mosquitos

I'm in Eastern Canada and really would like to know what this insect is. It bites us on the thighs and shoulders when we are riding out in the hayfields, leaving huge itchy welts. It is about a 1/3 to 1/2 inch long, and looks like a big, large-boned black and white striped mosquito. (I googled Asian tiger mosquito and my creature is too big). No one remembers seeing them before. I called my local university extension service for information and they said they needed a sample, which I can't do because I'm too busy slapping them and killing them.

They hurt when they bite and I have a welt on my thigh the size of a golfball.

They bite on warm, sunny days and may bite at other times--just haven't experienced it.

The one thing that has changed in the immediate environment is that a lot of soybean has been planted around here this year instead of corn.

Anyone have a similar experience?
    Last edited by Vesper Sparrow; Sep. 1, 2010 at 09:06 AM.

Are you sure they aren't a deer fly? Nasty things.

No, they don't look at all like a deer fly, but they bite like one.

Everyone here has been describing them as mosquitoes on steroids... bigger (size of male mosquito, which doesn't bite), thicker and black and white.

Asian forest/tiger mosquitoes can be as big as 10 mm- that's nearly half an inch and what you describe. Apparently nasty and flies in the heat of the day, unlike most mozzies who only become active in evening. Recently spotted in Ontario and Quebec. Carries EEE too.

When I lived in Winnipeg, I used to get huge welts from mozzies in early summer, but got bitten so much that the welts stopped forming and would only be small bites at the end of the summer. Maybe that's why you reacted so hugely to the first bites!
    "The Threat of Internet Ignorance: ... we are witnessing the rise of an age of equestrian disinformation, one where a trusting public can graze on nonsense packaged to look like fact."-LRG-AF

We have the same thing here!!!! (Florida) just as you describe!! Like a pre-historic mesquito!!!!!. They bite and leave a huge welt!.. What are they??????

Thanks, COL! I get bitten daily (and abundantly) when I walk my dog in the woods and don't usually react much, but those are our more typical native mosquitoes.

These tigers are something else and this is the first year for them.

Is there a vaccine for EEE? Something I'll have to add to my horses' vaccination schedule.

FYI:

http://biology.clc.uc.edu/fankhauser...lbopictus.html

I never heard of these things until I opened this thread. Now I have yet another thing to keep me awake in the wee hours of the night! Thanks!
    "My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." ~ Jack Layton