The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Yes, another naughty pony....

Good morning - just had to share this. Hope it brightens your day. Be careful watching this with any kind of liquid in your mouth!
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aUaP0t5IUnM

yikes. No wonder the kid had a safety vest on. I would not have continued to let my DD ride that pony!!! It's a good thing little kids bounce. I love his clip though!!!

Thanks for sharing. Ross looks like a child from the old days. Wasn't that how we all learned? Not the dragging part, we weren't lucky enough to have saddles.
    Last edited by hunterponies; Aug. 19, 2010 at 09:44 AM.

Neither would I, not w/o installing a major attitude adjustment on that pony. The shot where she is dragged? Good grief.

This has already been posted on another thread yesterday.
    Sandy
    www.sugarbrook.com
    hunter/jumper ponies

Quote Originally Posted by Sugarbrook View Post
    This has already been posted on another thread yesterday.
    And...?
    Quote Originally Posted by SuzieQNutter
    The whip is held across your thigh so as you can still hold the reins without spilling your coffee!!
    SillyHorse adds: Or your wine.

Just thought I would let those who cared to see all 75 posts on the Off Course "Naughty Pony, Ed" thread.
    Sandy
    www.sugarbrook.com
    hunter/jumper ponies

I think I owned that bratty white pony before.... or one who was just as "nice" as that bugger

That kid seemed unflappable! Dangerous why yes, but kid will be some good rider some day....

I'm reposting this from the off course thread as a parent who's daughter had a pretty naughty pony.

I hate to admit this after reading all these posts but when my daughter was 7 I bought her a very green 4 year old pony that did turn 5 after a few months of owning him. He could have some pretty naughty days and I guess you would have thought me a terrible mom. I joke that my daughter has tasted dirt in every pony arena up and down the state of California. Bet that pony ditched my daughter about 150 times - into mud puddles, standards, fences, etc. He once even pulled her over a barn door by her finger - pulling it out of its socket. At the ripe age of 8 she had the medic at a show put that finger back in its socket, downed a couple of tylenol, and went out and won her class. At 16 she is tough as nails and a great rider. You can scan my youtube to see videos. It made her fierce and passionate about riding. She can get on anything and make it better.

I personally found the video hilarious and I did watch the kid on his second pony. Seems happy to me.. no harm done. The one good thing about a pony is there isn't far to fall and kids are elastic at that age. Seriously... you just need to let go sometimes.

oh.. and that pony at age 13 is now a saint and doing crossrails with his third child. Second one was as gaga about him as my daughter was. Something about a naughty pony that endears them to kids...

Quote Originally Posted by Ozone View Post
    I think I owned that bratty white pony before.... or one who was just as "nice" as that bugger

That kid seemed unflappable! Dangerous why yes, but kid will be some good rider some day....
    Did you watch him on his new pony? He certainly has not learned to 'stick'. Rather, he flops like a wet noodle

Except for the dragging situation, I had a good laugh. I do remember those days. And as LeeB says, a pony like that makes good riders if they stick with it, I thought the kid had a lot of guts to keep climbing back on, and he didn't seem overly concerned about his frequent "dismounts."

The kid is so close to the ground on such a small pony no harm was done. The dragging was scary though.

Quote Originally Posted by Big_Grey_hunter View Post
    Rather, he flops like a wet noodle
    At least that way he is relaxed when he comes off, less chance of injury that way.

The dragging was scary though.[/I]

I have to admit the dragging was scary and the sister did run to stop it.. and pretty quickly I might add.

Originally Posted by Big_Grey_hunter
    Rather, he flops like a wet noodle

At least that way he is relaxed when he comes off, less chance of injury that way.

Last edited by LeeB10; Aug. 19, 2010 at 01:24 PM. Reason: forgot something

Quote Originally Posted by BAC View Post
    Except for the dragging situation, I had a good laugh. I do remember those days. And as LeeB says, a pony like that makes good riders if they stick with it, I thought the kid had a lot of guts to keep climbing back on, and he didn't seem overly concerned about his frequent "dismounts."

The kid is so close to the ground on such a small pony no harm was done. The dragging was scary though.
    Ditto. I've had worse falls from climbing trees at that age.

Man that pony thinks he's a hot shot I love seeing bigger riders on those ponies-gives them an Oh Sh*t moment when they realize they can't buck them off.
    "Things turn out best for the people who make the best of the way things turn out." ~John Wooden

Phoenix Animal Rescue

Little kids "bounce" really well---if they aren't scared. He obviously was used to falling off and it didn't seem to bother him. I wold have killed the little white pony, though

The dragging was bad, but the drop & roll was even worse.

I thought it was hilarious. The kid smiled through every bit of it. His legs weren't tight, but he had good balance and wasn't jerking the pony in the teeth. I rode ponies like that when I was a kid and survived to a great old age. I think some of you want your kids kept in bubble wrap all the time and don't ever want them to feel pain or disappointment, have their ponies all groomed a ready for them so they don't get dirty. Life's not like that. He was galloping all out and laughing on his 2nd pony. He's one that will be on a Team one day if he doesn't lose interest in riding.
    Tranquility Farm - Proud breeder of Born in the USA Sport Horses, and Cob-sized Warmbloods
    Now apparently completely invisible!

They don't always bounce! My good friend was riding a (good) pony over crossrails in a structured lesson at a very safety consious barn. Pony stops, she slide over his neck. She is wearing a helmet and vest. Isn't stepped on, rolled on, or dragged. However she did have internal injuries that landed in the ICU for a week and on bedrest in the hospital for a month. She didn't bounce very well mentally eithier. Despite being later put on super schoolmasters and jumping upto 3'6" (by age 14), she decided it was too stressful even though she really wanted to jump and is now enjoying upper level dressage success. She is a beautiful rider than can stick anything, but it didn't come from riding nasty ponies (she only fell of the pony that one time), it came from a structured program and advancement to horses appropriate for her level (not easy, but on the balance of not too much)

To me with a small child, I'd rather see them safe and happy. Horses and pony are unpredicable with adding this. Oh, and this pony is not making this kid good, just good at riding behind the motion and falling. The kid is not advanced enough to begin to prevent the problems, so she isn't getting better at dealing with them and falling too much prevents learning proper riding that will allow her to later be able to deal with the pony's antics. I also wouldn't let them jump at this stage... pony acts up even more.

To me in the video, it's not the pony that really bugs me, it's the trainer. The saddle doesn't fit (is it a saddle seat saddle maybe?), the stirrups are way too long (hence the riders a noodle, but the knee is already over the flap at that length), and trainer is allowing rider to egg the pony on to misbehave. Which is fun for the little bucks and falls (which should be the pony's "pony moments") but instead the pony steps it up: bolts, rolls, drags, and walks on his rider. Thats my problem with the situation.

I WANT my daughter to have a naughty pony! I want her to stick and I want her to be brave, but I would have sat my 5'9", 160 pound butt on that little guy. The stop, drop and roll would have been the last straw. That is not a first or second pony. That is a third or fourth pony for a tough kid.