The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default CAMERAS

Wondered if you ever have problems. I recently shot some pictures of driving horses and they spooked at my camera. ( I apoligized, felt terrible). The one picture I took was head on in the stands (about 35ft - 50ft away) and I distracted the horse. I then took some side shots. Some horses handled it well, others were spooky with the flash.

I'm thinking the blinders, bright light was unsettling. Other horses - jumpers, pleasure horses had no problem.

So I thought best to ask you guys for suggestions...how do your horses do? What could be done better to not spook horses.

Had to have flash because of lighting conditions. Flash was normal type permanetely on the camera. No add ons.

So any suggestions, would be appreciated.
    The View from Here

My Clydesdales have never had a problem with cameras, even with a flash. We've done a lot of classes at night in arebnas, and the only issue was that they seemed to puff up when they saw someone was taking a picture. Same thing with applause or cheering...they think it is all about THEM! Some horses are looking for any excuse to spook, and you may just have provided the excuse for them.

Flash outdoors is typically bad form for horse sports. It's something very out of the ordinary and would definitely spook some horses.
    You should be able to shoot any outdoor horse sports without a flash, and even that far away (and using a zoom i'm guessing?) it wouldn't really act as much of a fill.

And check for your camera how far away the flash is really effective. I suspect an on-camera flash at 50' isn't really providing any significant illumination (but don't know for sure without more information on your camera.)

Hollowed out volcano in the South Pacific.

Quote Originally Posted by RU2U View Post
    Wondered if you ever have problems. I recently shot some pictures of driving horses and they spooked at my camera. ( I apoligized, felt terrible). The one picture I took was head on in the stands (about 35ft - 50ft away) and I distracted the horse. I then took some side shots. Some horses handled it well, others were spooky with the flash.

I'm thinking the blinders, bright light was unsettling. Other horses - jumpers, pleasure horses had no problem.

So I thought best to ask you guys for suggestions...how do your horses do? What could be done better to not spook horses.

Had to have flash because of lighting conditions. Flash was normal type permanetely on the camera. No add ons.

So any suggestions, would be appreciated.
    At that distance, your built-in flash would be ineffective for any actual illumination. A dedicated high-powered hot-shoe flash with a diffuser aimed slightly upwards and not directly at the horse's line of sight might do some good for you but even then, it would be questionable as to the results depending on the environmental conditions.
    Thus do we growl that our big toes have, at this moment, been thrown up from below!

Shots were indoors. No flash outside.

Typical shots were within 15 - 20 ft (max), just enough flash to light up the coats in most cases. Shots were worthless without a flash. I got to be center ring!

Case was non-pro asked to do a pro-job so learning curve was in full force. Realized my limitations quite quickly! (my camera christmas list is much more expensive then my horse christmas list!)

Just looking for ways to make it better.

Was also advised to shoot upwards. Like sit near the ground aim upwards.
    but with driving horses I'm thinking that would be more spooky? I was also advised to do this with the jumping horses! I didn't, I am short enough with bad knees anyways, plus, its a lot harder to run from a crouched position to get out of the way. LOL

OK some shots are worth it - others aren't!
    Shooting with a Canon 40d - the camera loves horses!

Would your horses spook if they saw a flash lower to the ground. How much can a horses really see with the blinkers?
    The View from Here