The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Exclamation Childrens Hunter/Juniors, THIS Medal/Maclay/Medal

A few questions...
    1. Can a rider show 1 horse in the Childrens Hunters and a different horse in the Junior Hunters?2. Can a rider do the Taylor Harris Medal and the Medal and Maclay?

I believe the answer to both is no, but wasnot 100%.
    Thanks in advance for the answers!
    "If you are nervous you arent focused-if you are focused, there is no room for nerves!"

I believe the answer to the first question depends on your zone, since different zones have different restrictions for childrens hunters.

Taylor Harris specs say the rider may not have shown in a Medal or Maclay final, so I would think a rider could do any combination of those classes if s/he meets those specs.

Check your zone 5 rules for cross entry restrictions between Junior and Children's-that is zone specific.

You need to check the individual Medal rules as well. Most of those are are sponsered, stand alone classes outside normal USEF/USHJA specifications and requiring additional fees for point tracking and qualification. Check website and ask organizers for clarification.

And, looking at MHMs post, they cannot have done the FINALS in certain Medals...which means they can have competed and gone to Regionals. So TH maybe not as restrictive as you thought?
    When opportunity knocks it's wearing overalls and looks like work.

The horse world. Two people. Three opinions.

in zone one, the answer to question one would be no, I think. I don't know about yours though.

and as far as taylor harris goes, the rules specify that you may not have previously competed at 3'6 on the national level. my friend qualified for regionals, then syracuse, and harrisburg the same year she qualified for THIS. that was legal. but because she competed at those finals, she couldn't do THIS the next year.
    Oldenburgs do it better

rip mystic puddin' 1984-2006
    rip banacek 1992-2007

Southern California - on a freeway someplace

1. Depends on the zone. The USEF default is no -- someone competing in anything over 3'3" cannot show in children's hunters. But the zones may and do have more liberal cross entry rules. Link to links of zones and rules: http://www.ushja.org/content/committ...fications.aspx

2. As others have said you can do THIS medal as long as you haven't done national 3'6" finals. So you can do THIS finals plus USEF and Maclay once.
    The Evil Chem Prof

I'm pretty sure the answer to your first question in zone 3 would be no. Isn't the whole point of the children's, or pre-children's or adults for that matter, to restrict the division to riders, as opposed to horses, who are not jumping above a particular height.

And that "nothing over 3'3" restriction is at the SAME show under USEF default rules. You may do both, just not at the same show.

The pre adult and pre childrens are not nationally or zone governed and they can do whatever they want as long as they put it on the prize list and follow the rules of whoever does offer points on the local level. But USEF/USHJA is out of the picture on who can show what.
    When opportunity knocks it's wearing overalls and looks like work.

The horse world. Two people. Three opinions.