The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

For what it's worth I think US Riders has some real advantages over AAA. If you are hauling and have a breakdown that requires overnight accommodations, US Riders will locate stabling for your horse, in the event of an accident they help locate vet care etc....I don't think AAA does anything for the horses....and they will not tow you with horses on board.

Quote Originally Posted by kdow View Post
    One thing my dad did...
    That is an excellent suggestion. Thanks, and thank your dad, too.
    Proud Member of the League of Weenie Eventers
    Proud Member of the Courageous Weenie Eventers Clique

I have heard great things about these trailers over and over!

Default Talk me down...please

So I am and have been the proud owner of a 2006 Baron TC and tool around with my dd's two ponies (one chunky large and a fine medium). I drove them safely with my mb ml 320 for years until it recently died . Now have the swanky new f-250 - overkill i realize.

Here is the potential (self imposed?) issue - DD 1 is ready to make the move up to a horse and I am a tad concerned about any possible loading/fit issues. I know I should not be concerned (here is where COTH comes in) becauuse many people tow horses. I was thinking about getting a 2+1 goosneck but my husband thinks I am nuts becuase we already have the B'up.

I am not concerned about driving with the horse on board but a bit concerned about any potential loading issues.
    Last edited by sarcam02; Aug. 5, 2010 at 02:33 PM. Reason: typo

Quote Originally Posted by Ponyclubrocks View Post
    For what it's worth I think US Riders has some real advantages over AAA. If you are hauling and have a breakdown that requires overnight accommodations, US Riders will locate stabling for your horse, in the event of an accident they help locate vet care etc....I don't think AAA does anything for the horses....and they will not tow you with horses on board.
    I agree. If you do a search on AAA here, you will find complaints about how useless they were when horses were involved. I love the services US Rider provides, but hope I don't have to ever use it! (knock on wood).
    Last edited by jenm; Aug. 5, 2010 at 01:53 PM. Reason: Added text
    Proud owner of a Slaughter-Bound TB from a feedlot, and her surprise baby...!
    http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e350/Jen4USC/fave.jpg
    http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e3...SC/running.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by sarcam02 View Post
    So I am and have been the proud owner of a 2006 Baron TC and tool around with my dd's two ponies (one chunky large and a fine medium).

I am not concerned about driving with the horse on board but a bit concerned about any potential loading issues.
    I'm having trouble understanding your concern. The Baron is made for horses *larger than 17 hands*. I know people--like, several people not just one--who haul draft horses in B'up Barons. And the center divider wags side to side, so even a nervous loader should have plenty of room.

My husband has his CDL and took me out to teach me the ropes of trailering.

A great little invention is those guides you buy to put on the hitch and the receiver to match up when you're hitching up. Makes doing it alone alot easier until you get a feel for where exactly your hitch is.

I got mine @ Harbor Freight for like $10.

The one thing I learned that helped ease my mind is, in 99% of cases, if the truck makes it through, the trailer can make it through - width wise.

I practiced in parking lots for a long time.

Another easy thing to remember is, when you want to back left you crank your wheel right. And opposite for the right.

Small movements on the wheel make big movements in the trailer, so take it slow. You may feel like an arse the first few shows that you end up taking 15 min to park the trailer, but we were all new at this once.

Take some people along with you the first time so they can help guide you in. Nothing more nerve-wracking than having to back into a space with trailers on either side, horses going every which way, etc.

My late brother helped me with trailering years ago. Since he was notoriously impatient and often a jerk, I had trouble believing he would be of much help, but he was patient, kind, brief and to the point. For backing, he told me: hand at the bottom of the steering wheel, look in the mirror, and push in the direction you want to go. Everytime I've backed a trailer since I've heard those clear and concise directions in my head....too bad he didnt spend much time with on backing STRAIGHT--that to me is harder than getting the hang of going right or left.

If I had a dollar for everytime somebody's hollered at me to "cut the wheel! No, NOT that way, the OTHER way", I'd have tons of dollars. That direction just confuses the crap out of me for some reason. My brother's way just made the most sense to me.

I admire the concept German-style lightweight trailers, but the one my riding buddy has got its tongue pretty severely bent when she dropped a wheel into a rut and nearly jackknifed. Fellow that fixed it shook his head and said materials seemed awfully flimsy to him.

Me, I like a nasty old iron trailer straightload and a 3/4 ton truck to haul. Last time I had a trailer I only had a half-ton truck. Never again, although I didnt do badly with it. I was driving and camping on some oldfashioned hilly curvy dirt roads with that sucker and although I did get sort of baffled by a tricky manuever here and there we never had an accident and I didnt worry about the trailer getting dinged.

Congrats on your Brenderup, I hope you love it as much as I love mine! I've had several trailers over the years, from large six-horse trailers to other two-horse trailers, and I couldn't be happier with the Brenderup. As someone who hauls alone quite a bit, it's so easy to use compared to other trailers, and it is easy on the gas mileage too.

Anyway, I love the standing dog idea, that is a good one. I recommend also going to a large parking lot to practice your turns, accelerating slowly, backing, etc. Once you feel comfortable, start navigating low traffic roads and progress to the freeway once you feel ready.

The biggest thing with hauling horses is to take your time and stay as far away from other drivers as possible. The key is to try to prevent doing anything fast or sudden. And don't worry if you're driving too slow for the other drivers on the road, they'll find their way around you just fine.

Good luck!