The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Large Pony Mare - 14h, 6yo dapple grey ADOPTION PENDING

Update 8/5: It looks like Izzy will be going to live at a lovely farm in eastern MA where she will teach two little girls to ride. The family is excited - mom was involved with horses all through her junior years and into college and then got married and had two children, and now that they are old enough, they want to start riding. Izzy was a wonderful leadline mount when they came to visit. She'll go out on trial to be sure it's a good fit, but I'm keeping the information on everyone else who inquired about her just in case this situation doesn't work.

We have a sweet large pony who is looking for a new home. She's 14 hands, 6 yrs old and dapple grey. She's a welsh/QH cross. Izzy came to us last year after her prior owner had problems with her switching out her left rear lead (we actually found her on this forum). They thought it might be lyme (she'd tested positive) but unfortunately she wasn't treated consistently because she was eating from a pan on the ground and she'd dump her grain/meds. She was also checked by their DVM and he couldn't find anything wrong with her. We decided to take her to see if we could diagnose the problem (and if not, use her as a broodmare). Our DVM and chiro both examined her and couldn't find anything obviously wrong - she was sound on flexions, etc so they recommended treating for lyme and re-evaluating. She was treated for 30 days during the fall and ridden lightly by a little girl and she was sound, even at the canter. She then had the winter off due to no rider and when I got on her a couple weeks ago to evaluate her, she started switching her lead again. She is negative for Lyme at this time, so that is not the problem. And it's not a muscle issue either because she switches even when she's in top shape.

She is 100% sound in the field (even at the canter) and at the trot under saddle. She only switches her lead with a rider on her back (she seems to be okay at the canter with a very light rider - I am 115 lbs and she switched with me so by "light" I mean small kid size). It's not a saddle fit issue, and there's nothing superficially wrong with her according to the vet and chrio. We believe she may have suffered an injury with the prior owner because they did tell us that she started the lead switching in the middle of a course at a show. She was also jumping 3 ft courses as a 4 yr old...so who knows if she might have been injured because of that. I'm leaning toward some type of SI/stifle injury although that is purely speculation on my part. Unfortunately we do not have the financial resources at this time to do extensive testing and diagnostics on her. And our original plans to use her as a broodmare will not work out due to a recent move (our horses are now boarded at a farm instead of kept at home).

She would make a fantastic broodmare for someone interested in breeding ponies and/or sport ponies. She could also be ridden lightly (w/t and trails). She's been teaching a 16 yr old beginner how to ride (walk/trot) and she's been a very good girl.

She will only go to the absolute best home, with a contract that stipulates her return to us if she cannot be kept for any reason. She is a very easy keeper. She's barefoot and does really well on a grass pasture overnight, and then 1-2 chips of hay during the day. She's located in central CT. Please email for photos and more information - and no "flaming" - we will be very particular about where she goes and we're not trying to "dump" her. She is just too young and nice to stand in a field when she could be used in a pony breeding program or by a kid doing walk/trot.
    Last edited by Ty2003; Aug. 5, 2010 at 12:46 PM.

Bump!

Izzy is still available. I did have some nice people come and see her and they said they wanted to take her but I haven't heard from them in awhile and we need to get this girl placed. If you contacted me before, please send me another message - I've been traveling for work the past two weeks and lost some of the messages.

Pm sent!

Yikes, I hope the people you got her from (on this board) don't read this...

Quote Originally Posted by gloriginger View Post
    Yikes, I hope the people you got her from (on this board) don't read this...
    I'm not sure why it would matter... They were very honest and upfront about her limitations when we took her, but unfortunately our original intentions for her (breeding) aren't possible due to some health/financial issues within the family. Rather than let her stand in a field with minimal attention, we're trying to place her in a home that can use her despite her limitations. So far I've had several promising queries - it looks like Izzy is going to make a little girl or boy somewhere a very nice leadline/ W/T pony As I said in my original post, we are not trying to dump her - she'll only go to the best home and she'll go with a contract (she didn't come with one when we got her) that stipulates her return if she cannot be kept for any reason. While we are able to keep her and let her live in the pasture, it's a waste as she is a sweet pony who has a lot to offer for the right situation.

maybe I am misreading your original post then- it seemed to me that you were slamming them on a few occassions, but I guess there could be multiple owners in the mix and I am just confused.

Best of luck with finding the pony the best home.