The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Question Fence Paint Suggestions!!!

Hi, we have board fence that is black. Does anyone have any suggestions for paint and/or stain that lasts? I am tired of spending all of the time to try to keep fencing looking nice and having it flake or wear off. We have sprayed it on in the past, but would brush it on if that would give me a better result. We have a lot of fence and I am looking for some good input. Thanks.

Ours are stained a dark, dark brown (almost black). After five years, we have to re-stain this year and I am dreading it because we have miles of wood board and hundreds of posts to do. How long does your stain/paint last? I will try and remember to ask DH the brand we use and we roll out the boards and do the posts with a brush.
    Ridge Farm Inc.-full care retirement
    http://www.horseretirementfarm.com

Quote Originally Posted by theoldgreymare View Post
    Ours are stained a dark, dark brown (almost black). After five years, we have to re-stain this year and I am dreading it because we have miles of wood board and hundreds of posts to do. How long does your stain/paint last? I will try and remember to ask DH the brand we use and we roll out the boards and do the posts with a brush.
    That's just it, we have miles of fence too and this last job only lasted a 2-3 years. I am not sure what the average is for fence painting, but I want to find a better product. I know between the weather and horses that the fences take a beating, but there has to be a better answer. Let me know what brand you used for yours. Thanks.

A friend did a paint test on a 100 foot section two years ago with Porter Paint and Tractor Supply's brand. The TSC was fading badly within about six months. She repainted the TCS part with the Porter a year later and side by side from one year to the last you could hardly see any fading from the year old paint beside the fresh. The Porter still looks new now two years later.

Last year I had about a mile and a half of four board painted with Porter. It is very expensive, but I was able to get it almost half price when I told them how much fencing I had! This was the first coat. We rolled the boards and sprayed the posts.

Did you use paint or stain? Thanks.

Black fence paint.

We used FencePro and ours has not faded a bit. We only have it on posts, as our actual fencing is Centaur, but I'm very pleased with it. We brushed it on by hand, and only did 1 good coating.
    Jonah 4:4: And the Lord said, "Do you do well to be angry?"

College football season is HERE!!!

Quote Originally Posted by cllane1 View Post
    We used FencePro and ours has not faded a bit. We only have it on posts, as our actual fencing is Centaur, but I'm very pleased with it. We brushed it on by hand, and only did 1 good coating.
    Yes, I miss my Centaur fence we had it on our last property. This entire place is brand new wood fence that was here when we bought it so obviously I am not going to tear it down. Thanks, I will check into the various suggestions.

Somermist we used Olympic Deck, Fence and Siding stain. I'm happy with it if I only have to do it once every five years but if there's something out there that last longer I would love to hear about it. I am dreading re-staining......
    Ridge Farm Inc.-full care retirement
    http://www.horseretirementfarm.com

Quote Originally Posted by theoldgreymare View Post
    Somermist we used Olympic Deck, Fence and Siding stain. I'm happy with it if I only have to do it once every five years but if there's something out there that last longer I would love to hear about it. I am dreading re-staining......
    I am dreading it too. That's why I thought I would take some input. There is not many jobs that are worse. And, two of my fence painters are now in college (with real summer jobs) so not only are they not here to paint, they cost a lot more money! Thanks for the suggestions.

Black paint will tend to flake and chip off faster outdoors than any other colour due to its heat retaining properties. White paint lasts longer.

We stained our fences with an oil based white stain originally 15 years ago, and redid it about 7 years ago. We will do it again this year. They are just starting to fade. The first time we brushed it on. The second time we used a wagoner paint sprayer but we will hand paint again this year. It takes a little longer, but the sprayer wastes too much stain.
    "The Threat of Internet Ignorance: ... we are witnessing the rise of an age of equestrian disinformation, one where a trusting public can graze on nonsense packaged to look like fact."-LRG-AF