The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default When The Good Horse Is Naughty

So today I'm riding the angel four year, who is so good that his fourth ride ever was a trail ride. He's at a new place and there are things going on... Mowing, horses running, people doing things. I get on and he's just not quite himself... A little balky, a little fussy. Tries to canter a few times when I send him on. Doesn't really want to turn. I'm thinking whaaaaats up with him? Is he sore? Is he getting sour? And then it hits me! He's being BAD!!! THIS IS IT!!! He's Really pulling out all the stops, he's being a very very naughty boy in his own mind!!! And I started laughing and just made him follow my inside rein around for a little while and he realized that it was nicer to listen to me instead of paying attention to those other things. Then we had a lovely ride.

But I am still laughing... He was so Impressed with himself!
    "Kindness is free" ~ Eurofoal
    ---
    The CoTH CYA - please consult w/your veterinarian under any and all circumstances.

Sounds like a doll! I'm working on a similar one, a fat little filly and she's just been so perfect, I keep waiting for her to throw in some kind of trivial naughtiness so that I know she's actually a normal horse.

LOL Glad to see he is a normal horse after all!
    If i'm posting on Coth, it's either raining so I can't ride or it's night time and I can't sleep.

Mine (also four) has been so easy and amenable I've been amazed. But one day a couple weeks ago he had a moment of sheer BAD MAD. Another rider had been working in the ring while I was lunging, and she was riding the boss gelding who is in the same pasture as my boy. She finished up and left. And Bodhi gave a look like "what the heck? he's done and I have to stay here and work by myself????" and he busted out bucking like a bronco, all four feet in the air, stirrups flapping and moaning and grunting. He must have gone airborne 10 times. Then he just stopped and we went back to lunging like nothing had happened. I did a little extra warmup groundwork before getting on, because I just did *not* need to see that he could do that!!! But he was his usual quiet self during our ride.

up the hill from the little river (that floods alarmingly often)

That's such a nice kind of naughty!
    Full-time bargain hunter.

:teehee
    I had a similar moment with my 4yo *thinks 'oh, he's falling a bit right, but hey, now he's falling a bit left' checks position, wonders about whether the footing is too hard etc
    Later, in flash of insight realizes the gate was the common direction of fallings in and out because horse was having a 'do I have to moment'? lol

Raff, that is funny, mine was happier on the end of the arena with the gate, too!

I am just so used to a horse being BAD when they are bad that I was hoodwinked LOL you too, huh?!!
    "Kindness is free" ~ Eurofoal
    ---
    The CoTH CYA - please consult w/your veterinarian under any and all circumstances.

My 4-yo, who has been under saddle for a while, just not ridden often, has been bad recently too. He's just learning LY, and working on canter leads (he's made of rubber, and can pick up either lead from any position, so just bending in the direction of travel doesn't work for him). He's been deciding that it's more fun to just ignore a request, pretend like I asked nothing. Then he gets all insulted when he gets a smack with the whip. Silly boy!

He's great trail riding, only tries to be sly in the arena, where the actual work happens.

I was tickeled pink when my young gelding bucked under saddle. You see he was so week and had no energy when I first got him. He was underfed and was still growing then so all food went to something other than energy. When he finally gave a lil buck at the canter I knew he would be fine. Thats all he does so Im happy.
    “Management is doing things right; leadership is doing the right things.” Peter Drucker

Quote Originally Posted by JohnDeere View Post
    I was tickeled pink when my young gelding bucked under saddle. You see he was so week and had no energy when I first got him. He was underfed and was still growing then so all food went to something other than energy. When he finally gave a lil buck at the canter I knew he would be fine. Thats all he does so Im happy.
    LOL

Quote Originally Posted by Hampton Bay View Post
    My 4-yo, who has been under saddle for a while, just not ridden often, has been bad recently too. He's just learning LY, and working on canter leads (he's made of rubber, and can pick up either lead from any position, so just bending in the direction of travel doesn't work for him). He's been deciding that it's more fun to just ignore a request, pretend like I asked nothing. Then he gets all insulted when he gets a smack with the whip. Silly boy!

He's great trail riding, only tries to be sly in the arena, where the actual work happens.
    Do you have my horse's brother? Mine is almost 5, and exactly like that!
    ~ A true friend knows all there is to know about you and still likes you. -E. Hubbard

Hehehe... just posted near the same thing about my three year old ;-)

So Miss Milla has been a perfect angel in her training so far, which is often the case with a young horse as they aren't confident enough to "test" their toes. Today, she came out for the first time with an "I am such a ROCKSTAR" attitude. When I asked her to trot, she shook her head and squealed. She trotted about 8 strides and then threw in two good bucks. My first response was "crap... I might fall off"... but I ended up laughing so hard I nearly wet my pants. Miss Milla's uncoordinated gangly bucks combined with the wet grass, resulted in her SITTING on her butt She sat there a minute (I was still on), then worked on getting up, then went about her work like the perfect angel that she has been I couldn't have planned a correction any better!!! I think she is sufficiently humbled for now.
    Must be something in the air! Aren't they cute???
    If you always do what you've always done- you'll always get what you've always gotten.
    Madison Ridge Farm

When my laid-back, easy-going gelding "acts up," he just shakes his head a few times. Sometimes he grunts. This is to let me know that he doesn't want to do what I ask. Then he does it anyway.

I love that horse...
    Last edited by oharabear; May. 24, 2010 at 01:37 PM. Reason: grammar.... I'm a dork.

I had a show horse horse who was just too honest and hard working. He never once bucked or did anything naughty under saddle, but sometimes, after I dismounted and was leading him back to the barn, he would stop then cut loose with two or three squealing bucks in place, and follow me in like nothing happened. He was a stall horse and didn't get turn out, and that was his only moment to cut loose. In later years, he ended up being a pasture horse, so he didn't have to spend his whole life in such a rigid training structure. I remember his timid glee in realising his was finally free to run around. He loved it!
    People are crazy and times are strange.
    I used to care but, things have changed.

Bless him! He probably thought he was being a real teenager, testing the limits. Look mom, I can balk! I can spook!

(Much better than Look mom I can buck! I can run! I can try to kill you too!)

Naughty D man!!
    We couldn't all be cowboys, so some of us are clowns.

Quote Originally Posted by EqTrainer View Post
    So today I'm riding the angel four year, who is so good that his fourth ride ever was a trail ride. He's at a new place and there are things going on... Mowing, horses running, people doing things. I get on and he's just not quite himself... A little balky, a little fussy. Tries to canter a few times when I send him on. Doesn't really want to turn. I'm thinking whaaaaats up with him? Is he sore? Is he getting sour? And then it hits me! He's being BAD!!! THIS IS IT!!! He's Really pulling out all the stops, he's being a very very naughty boy in his own mind!!! And I started laughing and just made him follow my inside rein around for a little while and he realized that it was nicer to listen to me instead of paying attention to those other things. Then we had a lovely ride.

But I am still laughing... He was so Impressed with himself!
    OMG - my guy did this today!!! He did the warmup fine, but about 15 minutes in (when he saw some other horses getting turned out in the distance) he started dropping behind the bit, leaning on the bit, shaking his head, rushing, then lagging, swinging his hindend, throwing his shoulder, napping by the door...!!! He's never been bad with his mouth or head before. I stopped at one point and stuck my finger in his mouth to make sure he hadn't got his tongue over the bit! He was just being a little stinker! He worked out of it, finally giving a big sigh, and it was pretty small naughtiness, but compared to his usual easy breezy self I was so surprised! <rolleyes>
    Last edited by twofatponies; May. 24, 2010 at 02:34 PM. Reason: typo

Quote Originally Posted by Mia412 View Post
    Do you have my horse's brother? Mine is almost 5, and exactly like that!
    Is your horse chesnut?
    “Management is doing things right; leadership is doing the right things.” Peter Drucker

I love it when my 26-year-old kind soul and sweetheart of an OTTB mare, who is currently serving as a confidence builder for two older ladies like me, acts up a little. I was tickled pink when she bucked a couple times when I was riding her last winter. What pleased me the most was during a cold snap a few weeks ago, when I decided to have a lesson on her in the indoor (I usually ride my 5 year old gelding). We were alone, I had just gotten on, she was feeling really good, and was blowing and prancing and dancing and "threatening" to take off. Someone came to the arena gate with their horse and wanted to come in and my trainer said no, just wait a minute...