The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Getting a rubbed-out mane to grow back in...Fast :)

Hi!

A patch of my horse's mane has been rubbed out by his winter blanket....

Anyone have any great method for growing mane hair quickly?

(Not MTG, the smell makes me want to yarf.)

TIA~

PS, yes, the blanket does fit, and yes, he did have a sleezy underneath to try to protect the mane. No, he doesn't have any worms, skin allergies, or anything weird like that. He's at New Bolton every month for a checkup and for his shoes, and it's just a plain old rubbed-out mane.

Preparation H works great to help regrow hair. Seriously.

hahaha dulci- i wouldnt of thought of using that....since when does prep H get into our grooming box lol

anyways if its just a small amount that has been rub off then i would just snip it down just to make a neater apperance till it grew back.but if you don't want to resort to that i would try what DULCI suggested.

Feed extra biotin and methionine.
    Michael: Seems the people who burned me want me for a job.
    Sam: A job? Does it pay?
    Michael: Nah, it's more of a "we'll kill you if you don't do it" type of thing.
    Sam: Oh. I've never liked those.

I bought "super gro" from the african-american hair care section of walmart. Put it on 3 times a week. It has the same main ingredient as mtg, but is smells better (it's not a bad smell at all). It's only 3 buck a jar, so thats nice too.

The only problem I had was it made the hair 2 inches below his mane come in dark (almost black and he's a red bay) and grew to be twice as long as the rest of his neck hair. I took the clippers to his neck and a week later it looked really nice. It took 3 1/2 weeks to grow the mane enough to braid.

Eqyss makes a conditioner called Mega Tek Cell Rebuilder. It is for hair and hoof growth. I use it on my 2 year olds tail and his tail is so thick and beautiful. His mother has no tail and I have used it on him since he was born and his tail is huge!

I also use it on mane rubs and just leave it in. I think it works great. It also helps with dry cracked feet.

So my vote is for Mega Tek Cell Rebuilder!

Oh ya, it smells like Pina Coladas!

like flyracing, I found "mega doo-gro" in the african american hair care section at cvs. My morgan had rubbed his tailhead bald in the fall, it was gross, he looked like a rat. MDG is a blue ointment and doesn't smell bad, I rubbed it in 3x a week for the first week, 2x a week for the second week, then forgot completely about it. I apply some every once in a while now just for good measure.

It took about 4 weeks to go from bald and scaly to having enough new growth that it could've been clipped neatly or just braided. It wasn't overnight, but I was fairly impressed.
    “I am sorry negativity, I have no time for you. I have far too many positive things to do.”

Quote Originally Posted by Samotis View Post
    Eqyss makes a conditioner called Mega Tek Cell Rebuilder. It is for hair and hoof growth. I use it on my 2 year olds tail and his tail is so thick and beautiful. His mother has no tail and I have used it on him since he was born and his tail is huge!

I also use it on mane rubs and just leave it in. I think it works great. It also helps with dry cracked feet.

Forgot about the MegaTek, it does work well.

and LOL Samotis, now that song is stuck in my head

"If you like pina coladas..."
    Michael: Seems the people who burned me want me for a job.
    Sam: A job? Does it pay?
    Michael: Nah, it's more of a "we'll kill you if you don't do it" type of thing.
    Sam: Oh. I've never liked those.

Quote Originally Posted by Samotis View Post

This stuff is awesome! I even used it on myself to grow out a bad haircut!

Quote Originally Posted by flyracing View Post
    The only problem I had was it made the hair 2 inches below his mane come in dark (almost black and he's a red bay) and grew to be twice as long as the rest of his neck hair.
    Ha ha ha. well you did say you got it in the African American section of the store, right?

Yes, the Eqyss works great.
    "Humans will never devise an invention more beautiful, more simple,
    or more direct than does Nature." ~Leonardo da Vinci