The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default "Snootie Patootie" spinoff - horse type/personality

I've spent lots and lots of hours at all sorts of different barns - backyard, h/j, eventing, lesson barns, competitive trail riding. What has struck me is the general "look" of the horses that do specific disciplines. To me, eventing horses are the "marathon runners" of the horse world - pacing around, looking here and there, rangy and taut. "Where are we going? Huh? Huh? Can I jump that telephone pole oxer over there? Let me, please please please!"

The hunter horses are the sleek, shiny, fat (yes, I say fat!), relaxed, mellow guys. "Do I really have to jump that gate? Oh, fine."

What are your impressions?
    I realize that I'm generalizing here, but as is often the case when I generalize, I don't care. ~ Dave Barry

Your observations are so cute. I could really picture your characters.
    You know, everybody thinks we found
    this broken-down horse and fixed him,
    but we didn't. He fixed us. Every one of us.

Dressage horses...if mine were to be the norm...very aloof and dignified until they spook like hell over a leaf blowing by. And then trying to look like they meant to do that.
    And the "Oh my no...we do NOT do that!" when it comes to anything out of the norm for them.
    I think they all think in the royal "we."
    You jump in the saddle,
    Hold onto the bridle!
    Jump in the line!
    ...Belefonte

I think the trail horses would either be granola-eating hippies who want to be "at one with nature," or the really rough-and-tough survival-adventure-race types that actually look for the most difficult way to get from Point A to Point B.
    Please copy and paste this to your signature if you know someone, or have been affected by someone who needs a smack upside the head. Lets raise awareness.

Hey Misty,
    I have actually always thought that dressage horses were the "body builders" of the horse world... although that fits nicely with your spook at a leaf scenario as well...

Here I thought the dressage horse was the business type as they all seem to come with their own contract as to what they will and won't do.

Default mine

The hunter horses are the sleek, shiny, fat (yes, I say fat!), relaxed, mellow guys. "Do I really have to jump that gate? Oh, fine."
    Ok that is SO my Anglo-Trak that is headed for the hunter trainer this afternoon for a refresher and the next step. Unfortunately, I want to do dressage.

Now my two dressage horses are different. The older mare is "I'll do it for you but only if you ask correctly." My still very green mare is "Did I do that right? Whew, oh good!" Or sometimes, "Do I have to listen today?"
    Whatever you can do, or dream you can, begin it. Boldness has genius, power, and magic in it. Goethe

Quote Originally Posted by Sport View Post
    Here I thought the dressage horse was the business type as they all seem to come with their own contract as to what they will and won't do.
    Jer 29: 11-13

Quote Originally Posted by Sport View Post
    Oh yes, this is how I picture them- executive snootie types- who give you a look of distain shall the stall not have adequete bedding or the arena footing not just so. 'Excuse me, yes you, servant with that prong stick. Come here and fluff this corner up. And while you're at it I think there is a small spot in the lip of my water glass- can you please wash it out and refill with Avian. Snap snap- haven't got all day".

Also being at the standardbred tracks- in the paddocks and the barns- I can probably tell you for certain that the standardbreds are more akin to an italian mob gathering. "Hey, whata yous lookin at! Yo Vinny get ova here and get me ready- I gotta hit the track in 30 minutes. I gotta busy day. My guys are in da stands- theyr countin on me".
    I completely see my standardbred mares with foul language too. I swear they give me "the bird" when they don't want to work. It's this distinct head toss very different than other breeds head toss- that they ALL do. I think they discuss such things at the track.

My 26 year old ex-eventer definitely fits into the stereotype of let's go eager-beaver.

My young guy, also a TB but who so far has done mainly dressage, is more the intellectual type. Everything has to be analyzed, questioned and discussed... He loves discussing things.

Quote Originally Posted by SuperSTB View Post
    Also being at the standardbred tracks- in the paddocks and the barns- I can probably tell you for certain that the standardbreds are more akin to an italian mob gathering. "Hey, whata yous lookin at! Yo Vinny get ova here and get me ready- I gotta hit the track in 30 minutes. I gotta busy day. My guys are in da stands- theyr countin on me".
    I completely see my standardbred mares with foul language too. I swear they give me "the bird" when they don't want to work. It's this distinct head toss very different than other breeds head toss- that they ALL do. I think they discuss such things at the track.
    Yeah, 'n' when dey retire, dey spen' half o'da day tryin' t'git outta da pen. Da res' od da time, dey jus' are hangin'roun' taklin' bout da ol' days 'n' eatin' 'n' watchin' da worl' go by wit' bits of time doin' guar'duty 'n' makin' sure nobudy breaks inna joint.
    Founder of the Dyslexic Clique. Dyslexics of the world - UNTIE!!

Member: Incredible Invisbles

Quote Originally Posted by JollyBadger View Post
    or the really rough-and-tough survival-adventure-race types that actually look for the most difficult way to get from Point A to Point B.
    Funny! That is my horse, although he's not strictly a trail-horse. He approaches everything with his game face on, tough and ready to go! I actually think it has more to do with him being a breeding stud for the first seven years of his life rather than his discipline though.