The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Question Fish suggestions for water tanks

I was at a barn once that put fish in the water tanks to help keep them clean. Do you use your standard gold fish or is there another fish that is better. I've been told that gold fish are messy fish (ie: they poop a lot).

Thanks!
    First, say to yourself what you would be. Then do what you have to do. ~Epictectus

for fish tanks Goldies are messy, but they are also routinely overstocked in the average aquarium.

I am sure there are native solutions to goldies, maybe ask your local bait shop for minnows
    Quote Originally Posted by Bristol Bay View Post
    Try setting your broomstick to fly at a lower altitude.

It is easier and safer and cleaner to just scrub the water trough yourself. Forget the fish.

A friend did the fish thing, and fed the fish in the water tub with fish food. Which deteriorated, rotted, and poisoned her horses.

Quote Originally Posted by NancyM View Post
    It is easier and safer and cleaner to just scrub the water trough yourself. Forget the fish.

A friend did the fish thing, and fed the fish in the water tub with fish food. Which deteriorated, rotted, and poisoned her horses.

LOL sorry to laugh (and my condolonces to you friend)

but that was overkill (sorry, again, for the pun) but she overfed. The fish probably died, too from a heart attack from being fat.

in a pond/troph setting you really don't need to feed the fish. there will be enough organic matter and insect eggs and larvae to live off. Fish are notoriously overfed.

you might want to float a piece of wood in the troph tho, to offer some shade for the fish, plus it's a good precaution to keep little animals and birds from drowning.

in essence you don't need but a couple of fish per troph, it's for the horses not for the fish. Considering fish keepers suggest 10 gallons of water per one inch of goldfish...

It depends on how hot it gets where you live. I am in FL, and goldfish only work here during the winter or in a very shady spot. In the sun, you need something more local, like minnows.

It really is helpful for keeping the mosquitos at bay. Cleaning the water once a week does nothing to keep mosquitos from breeding, and I would much rather have a couple minnows than those floating mosquito-killing rings.

I'm looking for algae eating creatures for my small garden pond and have come across several types of snails that look promising. Any idea if this would be a possibility for a tank?

I have a bunch of shiners in there right now and they do eat algae, but they are messy b**tards and they reproduce quickly. However, if you are into fishing, that might be an alternative. Cheaper than goldfish too, and they're very hardy. We've also used the surplus stock as fertilizer for plants.
    bar.ka think u al.l. susp.ect
    free bar.ka and tidy rabbit

Agreed -- just scrub the tanks. Fish don't really belong in your horse's water tanks.

If you're looking into snails - make sure you find one native to your area, they will escape.

If you'd like something that eats more algea you need to look into something like a siamese algea eater or better yet, a pleco.

But I've never been a fan of putting fish in horse tanks, I'd really only consider it a viable option if you're looking into stocking a man-made pond.
    "For some people it's not enough to just be a horse's bum, you have to be sea biscuit's bum" -anon.
    Nes' Farm Blog ~ DesigNes.ca
    Need You Now Equine

Back to Normal.. or as close as I'll ever get

I had ZERO luck with goldfish in my trough.

Three of four went bellyup in a matter of days, but not before fouling the water. Replacements di the same
    These were small - 3"? - feeder-sized fish in a 50gal barrel.

The survivor is now about 7" long and enjoying life in a 44gal stock tank in my back yard along with his goldtrout buddy & a smaller goldfish a friend gave me last Fall.

They have been wintering in my basement in a 30gal tank.
    Next Winter they are staying in the stock tank with a floating de-icer!
    *friend of bar.ka*RIP all my lovely boys, gone too soon:
    Steppin' Out 1988-2004
    Hey Vern! 1982-2009
    Cash's Bay Threat 1994-2009

I've kept goldfish (29-cent feeders from the pet store) in my stock tanks (100- and 75-gallon) for about five years now (I got my first fish when the West Nile epidemic started), and it's worked well; I never see mosquito larvae, ever. They winter just fine with a tank heater (living near St. Louis, we get at least a couple of periods of subzero weather each winter). In fact, they get pretty big! We give them a pelleted goldfish food -- it's easy to skim out any leftovers, so the water doesn't get cloudy. In warm weather I tip the troughs and scrub or power-wash them once a week.

This summer the goldfish in my tanks will be 10 years old. I have a property with woods, a slow moving river and an incredible amount of mosquitoes. The fish are there to eat mosquito larvae.

In the summer I only feed then a pinch every second week. In the winter - or whenever they have no larvae - about twice a week. The trough still gets cleaned every week so the horses are not drinking gross water. 2 fish in 100 gal do not poop that much in a week.

So the fish will not replace the need to clean your trough but they help a LOT with bug control
    Sometimes I just think funny things - Dudley Moore in Arthur
    Come join us at - TheMuckBucket

I've had goldfish, black mollies and/or koi in my 115 gal tank for years. I have never had a problem. I do NOT feed them. They nibble bits of grain off the horse's lips, they eat the algae, they eat mosquito larvae, the eat the occassional bee that lands on the water. I have very little algae in my tank. I only clean it 3 or 4 times a year. Do they poop in the water? yes. Do horses normally drink out of streams and ponds? of course. I have only 3-4 fish at a time in the tank. They work wonders. They keep the water clear of the 'green scum'. Most people have to scrub their tanks 2 or 3 times a week. I do it 2 or 3 times a year. I love my fish. I usually pick pretty ones for a couple of bucks each instead of feeder goldfish for 50 cents. They are much healthier to begin with than feeder goldfish and usually much prettier.
    Tranquility Farm - Proud breeder of Born in the USA Sport Horses, and Cob-sized Warmbloods
    Now apparently completely invisible!

We actually use mosquito fish (minnows) in ours. I do live in South Texas too so the mosquitos are horrid. We do not feed ours except during the winter and we don't use tank heaters since the water doesn't normally freeze. Since our troughs are checked several times a day any dead fish are scooped immediately and the tank cleaned once a week. We do have one gelding that likes to splash the water out of the tank and had to remove the fish from that pasture but the other 3 pastures all have fish and are all fine.

I hate fish in stock tanks.

For algae control get some barley straw and put it in a burlap bag, or buy these:
    http://www.stocktanksecret.com/

For mosquito control get this: http://www.ecologicallaboratories.co...ank_Dis_SS.pdf

Speaking of fish(ing)...

OK, it's a stretch, but worth watching!
    “There are two ways to conquer and enslave a nation. One is by the sword. The other is by debt.”
    John Adams

Frank - thanks for the laughs!!

Default Loved this !!!

Quote Originally Posted by Frank B View Post
    Speaking of fish(ing)...

OK, it's a stretch, but worth watching!
    Loved this ~ thanks for my morning laugh !!!
    Zu Zu Bailey " IT"S A WONDERFUL LIFE !"

Quote Originally Posted by leilatigress View Post
    We actually use mosquito fish (minnows) in ours. I do live in South Texas too so the mosquitos are horrid. We do not feed ours except during the winter and we don't use tank heaters since the water doesn't normally freeze. Since our troughs are checked several times a day any dead fish are scooped immediately and the tank cleaned once a week. We do have one gelding that likes to splash the water out of the tank and had to remove the fish from that pasture but the other 3 pastures all have fish and are all fine.
    Well, minnow is the little fish, not all are created equal. Some are highly undesirable in stocked ponds, so it pays to do a little research and talk to the bait guy.

Also, some fish do well in their non native areas but turn into invasive intruders. I don't think Goldfish are particular popular in ponds and lakes, but they are carp in all essence...

Oh Frank, did you have to post that? I just had major surgery on my face and it hurt sooooooooo bad to laugh and each segment hurt more and more as I laughed harder and harder.
    Tranquility Farm - Proud breeder of Born in the USA Sport Horses, and Cob-sized Warmbloods
    Now apparently completely invisible!