The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Question Give me the quick summary of these popular shows please

Hi!

No cable but I read Entertainment Weekly - got a free subscription - who knows why?

So, can you fill me in with a brief paragraph on the following?

1. Game of Thrones
    2. Breaking Bad
    3. Walking Dead
    4. Dr. Who
    5. ohhh - a whole bunch more that I now can't rmember! Thanks!!!

2. From what I've seen is a chemist that turns to making meth for some 'good' reason initially but then it devolves.

3. Is about people living in a zombie apocalypse
    Quarry Rat

No cable but I read Entertainment Weekly - got a free subscription - who knows why?

So, can you fill me in with a brief paragraph on the following?

1. Game of Thrones

In Medieval times, several different houses are all coming together to battle it out for their right to the Iron Throne. There are no fewer than 4735784645783953 characters but it's very worth the brain cell dedication. Love it.

2. Breaking Bad
    Walter White, a high school chemistry teacher who was once slated for a brighter future, has been diagnosed with lung cancer, despite his never being a smoker. He suddenly has to find a way to make a ton of money to take care of his family (his son is handicapped and his wife is pregnant) and after going on a ride with his DEA brother in law, gets the bright idea to start cooking meth that is 99% pure. One thing leads to another and he finds himself in all sorts of pickles. Very entertaining. The final episodes start this Sunday!

3. Walking Dead
    Haven't watched it.

4. Dr. Who
    There is no summarizing Doctor Who (which should never be abbreviated). The Doctor is from outer space and can travel through space and time in his TARDIS and pretty much always has a companion. He visits other planets and time periods, helping people and learning more about them and himself along the way. Seriously, anyone reading this, watch it. Stick it out through the first few episodes which seem very 90s. I beyond love it.

I don't have BBC/Showtime/HBO/whatever (Breaking Bad is AMC which I do have) but keep up with these via http://www.free-tv-video-online.me/
    Gracious "Gracie," 2002 TB mare
    Facebook me!

I have Higher Standards ...do you?

Never seen any of the others, but this should summarize Breaking Bad nicely....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=oDqGAUvWKkU

3. Man wakes up in hospital from his coma one day to find zombies walking around feeding on anything with a pulse. He basically finds other people and forms a group to survive. Surviving in groups is working out until other groups become hostile... Sounds stupid but it's awesome!!! I like to imitate the zombies from time to time to make my guy laugh. haha

1 members found this post helpful.

1. Also want to add that it is a fantasy show, although not heavy handed. But there is magic, dragons, zombies and lots of mysticism. Its good! Oh, and it keeps you on your toes. The author of the books has no problem killing main characters off so there are lots of plot twists and turns.

2. not much to add to this. Its basically super f****d situations, lol.

3. Zombies. Apocalypse. A story of what becomes of humanity when faced with complete annihilation. Only bother with it if you like zombies.

Give Walking Dead a chance even if you don't like Zombies. The characters and story line suck you in. My elderly mom even got sucked in when she came for a visit, she covered her eyes for some of it. I called her the other day and asked what her and dad were doing. She laughed and said "watching the Walking Dead".
    Dawn

Patience and Consistency are Your Friends

Quote Originally Posted by cottonXCblondie View Post
    [I]

4. Dr. Who
    There is no summarizing Doctor Who (which should never be abbreviated). The Doctor is from outer space and can travel through space and time in his TARDIS and pretty much always has a companion. He visits other planets and time periods, helping people and learning more about them and himself along the way. Seriously, anyone reading this, watch it. Stick it out through the first few episodes which seem very 90s. I beyond love it.
    To truly understand Doctor Who, you can't start with the Ninties as you can't really appreciate New Who without understanding where it came from. Doctor Who has been going on with only a couple longish breaks since the late 1960s. Sadly a lot of the earliest episodes are lost because the BBC in its infinite wisdom taped over the master copies.

In any case: the Doctor is an alien (he looks like a human, but he has, among other things, two hearts) from the planet Galifrey. He is what's called a Time Lord. He travels (initially, he ran away) in a time machine-space ship called the TARDIS (which he sort of stole. Long long long story.) Periodically, he picks up companions, who generally are Earth humans because TV show. Most critically to understand it, the Doctor usually doesn't die (he CAN, again, long story), but usually, when fatally injured, he regenerates. Originally word was he could only have thirteen, now that it's a cash cow again apparently that's probably not true because the new Doctor will be #12. Conveniently, this means when an actor gets bored/tired/too expensive/too old, they have a built-in way to replace the actor without replacing the character.

Really, there is no way to summarize Doctor Who, and to appreciate a LOT of the new series (the Daleks, the Cybermen, K-9, UNIT, Sarah Jane...) you have to at least be familiar with the more popular/high point eras before. You basically have to hit Netflix and find a good Doctor Who wiki.

If you've got netflix, they've got everything I think but the very latest season of Dr. Who on streaming.
    The Trials and Jubilations of a Twenty-Something Re-rider
    Happy owner of Kieran the mostly-white-very-large-not-pony.

4. Doctor Who - simply put, the greatest TV series ever.

Quote Originally Posted by danceronice View Post
    To truly understand Doctor Who, you can't start with the Ninties as you can't really appreciate New Who without understanding where it came from. Doctor Who has been going on with only a couple longish breaks since the late 1960s. Sadly a lot of the earliest episodes are lost because the BBC in its infinite wisdom taped over the master copies.

In any case: the Doctor is an alien (he looks like a human, but he has, among other things, two hearts) from the planet Galifrey. He is what's called a Time Lord. He travels (initially, he ran away) in a time machine-space ship called the TARDIS (which he sort of stole. Long long long story.) Periodically, he picks up companions, who generally are Earth humans because TV show. Most critically to understand it, the Doctor usually doesn't die (he CAN, again, long story), but usually, when fatally injured, he regenerates. Originally word was he could only have thirteen, now that it's a cash cow again apparently that's probably not true because the new Doctor will be #12. Conveniently, this means when an actor gets bored/tired/too expensive/too old, they have a built-in way to replace the actor without replacing the character.

Really, there is no way to summarize Doctor Who, and to appreciate a LOT of the new series (the Daleks, the Cybermen, K-9, UNIT, Sarah Jane...) you have to at least be familiar with the more popular/high point eras before. You basically have to hit Netflix and find a good Doctor Who wiki.
    I only said "90s" because that whole season with Nine made me think of "Are you Afraid of the Dark?" a little bit which was, of course, from the 90's. If you go into the first episode without already knowing that it's going to be amazing, you might decide it's corny and switch it off and miss out.

Definitely read up on a wiki. I did that and it explains the Doctor's history, One through Eight so you have his backstory.
    Gracious "Gracie," 2002 TB mare
    Facebook me!

I have Higher Standards ...do you?

3. Walking Dead!!!!! It is gorey but has great characters. My DH likes it for the action/gore, and I like it for the character studies. Who will "man-up" and help after the apocalypse, and who will wimp out. Who turns out to be inherently evil, and who is uncharacteristically a good person.

I couldn't get into Dr. Who. DH just expressed a desire to check out Breaking Bad, so I guess I'll see what I can get the 1st season for on ebay.
    "Everyone will start to cheer, when you put on your sailin shoes"-Lowell George

What's the status on Tuco?

Breaking Bad is also on netflix, for the record.

(I love netflix, okay)
    The Trials and Jubilations of a Twenty-Something Re-rider
    Happy owner of Kieran the mostly-white-very-large-not-pony.

Quote Originally Posted by Deuce View Post
    4. Doctor Who - simply put, the greatest TV series ever.
    This. It's also very wibbly-wobbly, timey-wimey.

Also, remember it's a British show, and has the usual British-isms. If you just want to give a good once-over, the episode "Blink" is often cited as THE one to watch. Forget the season, sorry, but it was the 10th Doctor and Martha, so -- 3rd or 4th season of the new ones. But you will never look at those freaking garden angels the same way again.

I started watching with the 9th doctor and after a little confusion, I mostly got it. Because the series took a long break and there's a new doctor and a new companion they kind of explain a lot of the backstory in the first new season.

Quote Originally Posted by Alex and Bodie's Mom View Post
    This. It's also very wibbly-wobbly, timey-wimey.

Also, remember it's a British show, and has the usual British-isms. If you just want to give a good once-over, the episode "Blink" is often cited as THE one to watch. Forget the season, sorry, but it was the 10th Doctor and Martha, so -- 3rd or 4th season of the new ones. But you will never look at those freaking garden angels the same way again.
    This. Absolutely, that is the best episode ever. I did not think I would like this show after someone told me the basic plot, but I watched it and OMG. Incredible, poignant, and very meaningful -- somehow the craziness makes it work.

I actually don't really like the old ones, I started watching with the 2005 reboot with Christopher Eccleston and fell in love with it there. Can't wait for the 12th doctor, he looks fabo!

I don't like any of the rest on the list, LOL.

Doctor Who is amazing! It is really hard to summarize it without making it sound really silly (although the summaries of it in this thread are quite good!). It is a TV show with a lot of heart, and it is my favorite show ever. Even my Mom who hates Sci-Fi shows and movies absolutely loves Doctor Who. Don't be intimidated by the amount of episodes. You'll be okay starting in the 2005 reboot. I started with that and they do a pretty good job of bringing you up to speed. I went back to watch the classic episodes when I got caught up with the new series, but you don't need to watch them.

Others have done a great job summarizing my two favorites...Breaking Bad and Walking Dead. Just give them a chance. Promise you will be hooked!
    "A horse gallops with his lungs, perseveres with his heart, and wins with his character." - Tesio

I was so hesitant to watch Breaking Bad, with the meth cooking and all. But it does NOT glorify the lifestyle at all. To summarize without giving anything away, what can go wrong will go wrong. Really well written and fun. Although the most recent episodes are definitely darker. Looking forward to the start of the final season.
    RIP Full Metal Jacket "Jack" 1998 -2/27/09
    RIP Salisbury Hill "Ted" 1979-4/2/10
    "God have mercy on the man who doubts what he's sure of" -Springsteen

For Game of Thrones please know that it is VERY gory and there is a LOT of nudity and sex, so if that stuff bothers you then don't watch it.

It's also loosely based on the British War of the Roses that happened in the 15th Century.